PackAttack

LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL 2019

DCTF does not put Lufkin in the 5A Div I State Title competition in 2019. IMO, that could be good or bad, depending on one's perspective. Don't think Lufkin even ranks in the Top 10 of 5A overall, when you include Aledo, FB Marshall, Frisco Reedy, maybe even the Marshall Mavericks? Lots of proving to do after the results of 2018.

20190621_125721.jpg

FYI from DCTF on their thoughts for the rest of 5A Division I and II.

20190621_125730.jpg

Have a QUESTION to ask you all.   In fact two.

(1) Does success in summer 7 on 7 translate into winning success for the regular football season?

(2)  How much, is too much 7 on 7  in the summer?

Looking at the DCTF assessment for Lufkin made me realize we have a few more experienced pieces returning for 2019 than I previously thought.

Very good group of kids this year with some nice depth.  I'm not going to try and evaluate players or list my top 15 players, because for me that takes away the TEAM thought for me.  As most know. Lufkin had an all D1 defensive line last year and we did not make it out of the 2nd round.

We all know S Jerrin Thompson and WR JaLynn Polk have multiple D1 scholarship offers, they are probably two of the best players Lufkin will have this year.  However, there are so many pieces and parts from other players that make the TEAM either be successful or fail.

We probably don't have a team that our 2nds could start on most other 5A teams, we can't predict who will or won't have a outstanding year of football. I don't keep up with the talent pool coming out of Lufkin Middle School, I barely know who the freshman are when they start playing, but I love watching HS football, mainly Lufkin Panther football. 

No over-hyping or expectations this year. Too many key holes to fill but I also know what we had on the JV and freshman teams last year. Those kids will be pretty good with experience.

So, as the season approaches, I am sure we have State Title aspirations like many folks do going into a season.  In reality, anything beyond the 2nd round would be refreshing to experience.

Before the start of every season, the majority of High School football teams have the dreams and aspirations of winning the state championship. And every team that wins the state title must overcome adversity and beat the odds.

According to the UIL, there were 1,071 schools that played 11-man football in 2018. Out of those 1,071 schools – only 640 teams make the playoffs. That means 41 percent of all 11-man teams in the state of Texas make the post season.

If you make the state semifinals round, only 40 teams remain. That means a team is in the top 3.7 percent of teams in the entire state.

If a school can advance on to the state championship game, they would then be in the top 1.9 percent in Texas.

Sorry for the Long Essay...……..I can ramble all over the place sometimes...…it's called boredom...….especially when I have stuff on my mind.  For some reason this morning I started thinking about all the one and done playoff games the past 10 years and the disappointment driving all the way back to Lufkin.  Playoffs are tough.

The road is long and tough and you probably have a better chance to win the jackpot in Vegas. It is even harder to repeat and that is why I respect Highland Park, going for a 4 - peat this year or Aledo winning 7 Titles in 10 years.   It takes some dedicated work, total vision and determination to achieve that in a football program.  Not sure those type expectations exist for Lufkin right now.  Just being truthful.

Anyway, it's exciting to look forward to a new football season, to see if all the returning starters and new faces moving up can come together and find that winning chemistry. Depends on how the players and coaches look at what real success is for a football program.  It's only 9 weeks away from Lufkin's scrimmage over in Huntsville, from there it all moves fast, right into the opening season game at Abe with the #6 Ranked - 6A Lobos.  Doesn't getting any easier the next week with a road game against a much improved Nacogdoches team.

DCTF thinks Lufkin is worthy of a #7 5A Div I ranking in 2019.   JT comes in at #6.  DCTF thought the Panthers were #1 material in 2018, we know what happen.  The talent is there again for Lufkin in 2019, so we will see if they can make a playoff run this year.  Here's hoping for better than 2018, but if I had to rate those expectations on a scale of 1 to10 right now and based on last years result, I would give it a 6.  There is still some proving to do. Can the coaches motivate and get the best from the players in order to be that deep playoff football program again??  Lufkin has only won one 3rd round playoff game in the last 13 years, it was 2005.  Eight times in those 13 years, the Panther program lost in the first round. Those frustrating One and Done games. 

Just going to admit this now. Lufkin has not been considered an Elite football program in Texas for a long time.   The fans know it too and they are tired of the lack of success , it's part of the reason why you don't see the crowds at the games anymore.  It really started back in 2016, when we allowed Beaumont Westbrook to pummel us in a district game in front of the HOME crowd at ABE,  70-63.  The way the fans see it, there is no excuse for the lack of success based on the talent pool that has come through Lufkin High School in the last 10 years.  Honestly, they are tired of waiting and the way we lost to Lone Star last year didn't help at all.

So, we embark on another football season.  Still buying my season tickets again, up on Row 40 for the 34th year in a row.  Looking forward to watching some good Panther high school football again and expecting better.  Expect the un expected so they say.  Still going to stand by my 6 until I see different.

GO PACK !!!!!!

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

Have a QUESTION to ask you all.   In fact two.

(1) Does success in summer 7 on 7 translate into winning success for the regular football season?

(2)  How much, is too much 7 on 7  in the summer?

Pa, having looked at both I would say no but it does help help develop chemistry, work ethic and gives then something to do during the summer. 

2. Don’t think you can have too much let’s then stay active during the summer. 

9 hours ago, Pack007 said:

Polk committed to Texas Tech. 

Good, stayed in Texas. Did KeKe have some influence there? 😉

3 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Good, stayed in Texas. Did KeKe have some influence there? 😉

Probably lol. I was thinking he was going to Arkansas. Good pick. 

#3 WR Ja Lynn Polk Commits to the Texas Tech Red Raiders.  Guns Up!!

2019 7-on-7 State Tournament Primer

Thursday marks the beginning of the 22nd annual Adidas Texas State 7-on-7 Championships, and for the 21th straight year the event will be held in College Station, and once again the action will take place at Veterans Park. A robust 128 teams from across the state will gather for three days of action in one of the final big off-season events before the start of the 2019 Texas high school football season. The event has grown from humble beginnings with just 24 teams playing the inaugural event to this weekend’s massive showcase. As usual, we've decided to give you a tournament primer and some things to watch for the exciting weekend of action!

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2019/06/24/2019-7-on-7-state-tournament-primer?ref=home_feature_article

20 hours ago, Pack007 said:

Probably lol. I was thinking he was going to Arkansas. Good pick. 

KeKe had alot to do with it. I perferred Arkansas.

On 6/22/2019 at 12:25 PM, PackAttack said:

Lufkin has only won one 3rd round playoff game in the last 13 years, it was 2005.

2017 slipped your mind ;)

Best of luck this upcoming season Pack fans. It's funny how one title can send a sense of relief over you. This upcoming season will be a fun one, regardless of how it ends, because of how our 2018 season ended. I'm sure y'all felt the same way in 2002, after your title win (though the Semi loss probably didn't feel good).

I'm excited to get it kicking but the pressure and angst definitely doesn't feel anything like it did prior. I'm sure that loss to Lone Star has y'all rearing to go and what better way than to make a statement against the defending champs at home. Looking forward to the trip down to ole Abe in 9 Fridays from now.

The 2017 game  against Westfield was the third round game I was talking about. We were defeated by Plano West in the 3rd round in 2012. Before that it was 2005 the last time we won a 3rd round game. Should have stated since 2005. The downside of entering text by smartphone.

Well, I'm not looking forward to playing the Lobos. You guys are stacked again this year. We graduated some key people and have some important positions to fill.  Not exactly sure what to expect from this particular 2019 Lufkin team. 

7 hours ago, PackAttack said:

The 2017 game  against Westfield was the third round game I was talking about. We were defeated by Plano West in the 3rd round in 2012. Before that it was 2005 the last time we won a 3rd round game. Should have stated since 2005. The downside of entering text by smartphone.

Well, I'm not looking forward to playing the Lobos. You guys are stacked again this year. We graduated some key people and have some important positions to fill.  Not exactly sure what to expect from this particular 2019 Lufkin team. 

Hopefully we can keep it close against Longview! Also i would love to see us advance to the 4th round of the playoffs! Sadly i may never see that again.

The Texas State 7-on-7 Championship pools are out! Here are my predictions for the order of finish in each group, plus a mini-preview for each pool.

Pool B Predicted Order of Finish

1. Lufkin
  2. Arlington Bowie
  3. Klein Cain
  4. Austin Anderson

Expect Lufkin and Arlington Bowie to put on a show when they meet up as these will be two of the most athletic teams in the entire tournament. Don’t sleep on newcomer Klein Cain, who went to The Woodlands and knocked off the Highlanders in their own SQT to advance to their first-ever state tournament. Austin Anderson is one of two Austin ISD teams to advance to College Station and the Trojans showed in their two SQTs they are quite capable.

https://www.texas7on7.org/d1-pool-play.html

Pool Brackets and Score Updates for Lufkin in Pool B on Field #3.

Game #1 @ 1 PM   Klein Cain

Game #2 @ 3 PM   Arlington Bowie

Game #3 @ 5 PM   Austin Anderson

Veteran's Park Field Lay Out

https://www.texas7on7.org/uploads/2/2/0/3/22033422/veterans_layout_7v7.pdf

3 hours ago, Chadalac05 said:

Hopefully we can keep it close against Longview! Also i would love to see us advance to the 4th round of the playoffs! Sadly i may never see that again.

Lufkin will have some very good skilled talent this year.  They always do, but this year the team has really good depth in the offensive and defensive skilled positions. Talking about the RBs, WRs, LBs and Secondary.  My biggest concern is replacing the DL and OL.  Games are won in the trenches and we lost a bunch of experience to graduation.   Coaches working on putting it all together.

8 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Lufkin will have some very good skilled talent this year.  They always do, but this year the team has really good depth in the offensive and defensive skilled positions. Talking about the RBs, WRs, LBs and Secondary.  My biggest concern is replacing the DL and OL.  Games are won in the trenches and we lost a bunch of experience to graduation.   Coaches working on putting it all together.

Hopefully we make a run

Was listening to masty this morning. I caught the tail end of him discussing a disqualification in little league that lufkin had overturned. Anyone know what this was about?

2 hours ago, Chadalac05 said:

Was listening to masty this morning. I caught the tail end of him discussing a disqualification in little league that lufkin had overturned. Anyone know what this was about?

Haven't heard anything.

What about a new Logo on the side of the Panther Helmet?  Is it time to replace PACK to something new?

Personally, I still like the PACK helmet.

Lufkin_Panthers_HS_1998-2015TX_1.jpg

Then you could have one of this on the helmet:

lufkin.png

I am sure there are even more updated option out there.  The is a former Oklahoma State guy doing new logos for several teams in East Texas this year.