PackAttack

LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL 2019

Lufkin beat out some very good competition at THW SQT.  A great opportunity for the skilled players on both sides of the ball to get their chemistry together. 

Jordan Moore started 4 games as a sophomore last year and that will help him and the team in the quarterback change over starting his junior year. Jordan looks to be using last years experiences in his development this year.  He is bigger and taller now, has more confidence and maturity.  Moore is really throwing the ball well, he is very accurate and has a quicker release.  Anyway, you have to hope some of this success will transcend to the real deal when things start in a few months, because what happens in the trenches with the big boys,  on both sides of the ball, will be what makes or breaks your team in the long run.  

I think the 7 on 7 is important this year because Moore is going to be the leader the next two years and working with several new receivers is important to see how they do against different competition.    I think about this. if your quarterback had a WR that caught 90 passes for you the year before, that was his go to guy, his safety net guy ( Like a DEZ or JaBryce Taylor).  Now he is gone and you need to find out about some of your new guys.  The 7 on 7 helps that I think.  Lufkin is only playing in two tournaments anyway and then go as far as possible in College Station.  After that your only 5 or 6 weeks from practice in pads.  Everything goes fast this time of the year.

Some very good teams in the TW Tourney..  Remember Lufkin went 4-0

The Woodlands, Montgomery, Katy Cinco Ranch, Cypress Ranch, Conroe, Montgomery Lake Creek, Klein Cain, Cypress Creek,

Klein Collins, Cypress Fairbanks, Alvin Shadow Creek, Huntsville, The Woodlands College Park, Klein and College Station 

The Woodlands SQT Scores:

Pool A

Cypress Ranch 34, Katy Cinco Ranch 6

The Woodlands 32, Montgomery 18

Montgomery 45, Cypress Ranch 31

The Woodlands 39, Katy Cinco Ranch 8

Montgomery 27, Katy Cinco Ranch 12

The Woodlands 26, Cypress Ranch 0

Pool B

Klein Cain 28, Cypress Creek 27

Conroe 34, Montgomery Lake Creek 26

Montgomery Lake Creek 29, Cypress Creek 19

Klein Cain 28, Conroe 26

Klein Cain 38, Montgomery Lake Creek 19

Cypress Creek 28, Conroe 20

Pool C

College Station A&M Consolidated 33, Huntsville 32 OT

Cypress Fairbanks 27, Klein Collins 26

Cypress Fairbanks 33, College Station A&M Consolidated 24

Klein Collins 26, Huntsville 14

Cypress Fairbanks 40, Huntsville 21

College Station A&M Consolidated 33, Klein Collins 26

Pool D

Lufkin 31, Klein 14

College Station 42, The Woodlands College Park 26

Klein 32, College Station 26

Lufkin 39, The Woodlands College Park 33

Lufkin 32, College Station 19

Klein 33, The Woodlands College Park 19

State Qualifying Round

Klein Cain 14, The Woodlands 13

Lufkin 26, Cypress-Fairbanks 20

Hopefully this will transfer to real games. Jordan looked good when he played last season. If he keeps his head in it we will be better off at QB than last season 

1 hour ago, Chadalac05 said:

Hopefully this will transfer to real games. Jordan looked good when he played last season. If he keeps his head in it we will be better off at QB than last season 

Yes, we will be most certainly. Don't put much stock into 7 on 7 for obvious reasons. However, 7 on 7 is a great opportunity of pitch and catch,  to have a quarterback find chemistry with his receivers.

Not much to speak about right now.  Have 7on7 going on.  Lufkin not playing but two tourneys this year and one of them is behind them, going 4-0 in THW SQT. Next up is the Tyler SQT on 6/15, then see how far they may go in College Station. They will get 3 games in Tyler and are guaranteed 4 games at the State Rounds. It is still better than playing in that 7on7 league they had a few years back.  It was comprised of Nacogdoches, Diboll, Huntington and maybe one year Corrigan. 

It wasn't that competitive for us anyway,  then Nac and Lufkin had some sort of falling out and quit playing each other.  Just don't have the teams around us to comprise a competitive league.

We are roughly 9 weeks out before practice begins, 11 weeks for the scrimmage with Huntsville and 12 weeks from our season opening game with Longview at Abe Martin on 8/30.  Lufkin has 6 home games this year, so I guess that is suppose to be a good thing, except I think we play better on the road.

Season ticket holders should be receiving their initial letter by mail, explaining the renewal dates and such the last part of June.  

The Sideliners will be meeting again on August 5th.  Will get a reminder out again before that date.

There is no reason to think our guys won't have a good year ahead.  Looks like two tough non district battles to start the year, with no particular expectations from this years team, except for them to give it their all on the field every game.  That's all you can expect any season I guess.   From what I have seen so far, they will be an exciting group of kids to watch play this year.

Go Pack!

PA dont forget about that team from Mexico! Heard they are gonna be salty this year! Probably better than Longview and Nac! 

6 hours ago, Chadalac05 said:

PA dont forget about that team from Mexico! Heard they are gonna be salty this year! Probably better than Longview and Nac! 

LOL.  Now that you mention that game with the Del Estado Redskins.  The Mexican people do not feel the need to be politically correct about a football name, like many in America are offended. Though if you look back historically,  the Comanches and Apaches killed hundreds of Mexicans and Anglos during the 1800s traversing the Texas -  Arizona  and Mexico borders. Even the good old US Calvary, who always broke their treaty promises,  took years to catch up to Buffalo Hump, Geronimo and Cochise.  Did you know the Comanches had a raid in Texas in 1840 that went all the way from West Texas to the Texas coast?  Largest Native American raid ever in history.  Okay, that is enough of whatever I was trying to say there.  You can tell I'm bored waiting for things to kick back in soon.

Read about it here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Raid_of_1840

Anyway, we are told they are a very good program in Mexico, so that is yet to be determined because Lufkin has outscored our Mexico counterparts in 3 games,  150-14.   Del Estado is your typical complex of Mexican College/High School/ Middle School/ Elementary education and sports combination with 3 or 4 locations ,  just like the  Monterrey school set up. Longview of course we know about,  it's always a war,  we don't need to say anything about the game, however they will have no problem telling us about it.   Nacogdoches intrigues me a little this year with their new coaching staff,  running a new offense and defense for them this year.  I know they will be an improved program in the future, if not this year.

Interesting  three game non district, then an off week before starting District play at home with Willis.  Of course there is no one in our district like Longview or even in the playoffs unless you play Highland Park.   Looks like everything in Region II 5A Div I goes through HP.

Have been told we will have two new hats this year. Neither will be this last hat shown.  Will get back to you when I have pics.

Lufkin comes in at #7 in Dave Campbell's Texas Football 2019 Pre Season Poll for 5A Div I

48 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

Ugh. We shouldn’t be ranked 

Seems pretty generous 

10 minutes ago, Chadalac05 said:

Seems pretty generous 

JT and Lufkin lost a lot. I’m not saying we’re going to be trash, i honestly don’t know how good we’ll be. But ranked #7 ?? Not sure about that. Pretty high. It’s hp title to lose anyways 

IMO we are probably where we should be ranked right now.  Highland Park is on a 3 - Peat run, as far as I am concerned, everything runs through HP.  Who should have been in 6A 10 years ago.   Lone Star has certainly earned their ranking after the 49-21 whooping they put on Lufkin in the 2nd round in 2018.   John Tyler should have beat HP, could have beat HP but a complete defensive breakdown in the 4th quarter and a couple of questionable calls here and there and they didn't.  They certainly deserve their spot. My take is Ricklan Holmes could take 20 quality football player and go at least to the 3rd round every year.  He gets the very best out of his kids.

There are only 3 Region II teams listed in the Top 10.    Not sure about Shadow Creek, most of that team were seniors last year, they do return just a few starters from 2018.  I remember Richmond Foster played well in most games last year and lost twice to Shadow Creek, they bring back a bunch of guys.

Remember these are only rankings for 5A DiV I, not all of 5A.  There are 127 Div I teams and 125 Div II teams.  All Lufkin needs to concern themselves with is Div I.  

AS for Lufkin, don't think rankings ever help them one way or another.  It never has in my opinion.  If we make it this year past the 2nd round this year, we will be fortunate.  Round 3 or 4 are just too far fetched to think about at this point of the year, that is a LONG way off.  Just not sure we can ever get there again and  base that  off many different reason and  won't discuss my thoughts about it here.  We must go forward with what we have and  live with the results, as we always do.

Where do you think we should be ranked in Division I and Why??

19 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

IMO we are probably where we should be ranked right now.  Highland Park is on a 3 - Peat run, as far as I am concerned, everything runs through HP.  Who should have been in 6A 10 years ago.   Lone Star has certainly earned their ranking after the 49-21 whooping they put on Lufkin in the 2nd round in 2018.   John Tyler should have beat HP, could have beat HP but a complete defensive breakdown in the 4th quarter and a couple of questionable calls here and there and they didn't.  They certainly deserve their spot. My take is Ricklan Holmes could take 20 quality football player and go at least to the 3rd round every year.  He gets the very best out of his kids.

There are only 3 Region II teams listed in the Top 10.    Not sure about Shadow Creek, most of that team were seniors last year, they do return just a few starters from 2018.  I remember Richmond Foster played well in most games last year and lost twice to Shadow Creek, they bring back a bunch of guys.

Remember these are only rankings for 5A DiV I, not all of 5A.  There are 127 Div I teams and 125 Div II teams.  All Lufkin needs to concern themselves with is Div I.  

AS for Lufkin, don't think rankings ever help them one way or another.  It never has in my opinion.  If we make it this year past the 2nd round this year, we will be fortunate.  Round 3 or 4 are just too far fetched to think about at this point of the year, that is a LONG way off.  Just not sure we can ever get there again and  base that  off many different reason and  won't discuss my thoughts about it here.  We must go forward with what we have and  live with the results, as we always do.

Where do you think we should be ranked in Division I and Why??

Lufkin and JT lost a ton of talent from last year. I understand it’s the D1 rankings, but seven seems to be too high with the key pieces and leaders we lost on our defense. Losing Smallwood and the guys on our staff may be huge too. Who knows? I would be ok with 15 or lower to start the season out. Not even sure we should be the favorites in district. I think a few schools in our district return a lot. Honestly, i know rankings don’t matter in high school, but I just hate it when we’re ranked. Kids kinda get big headed and it seems we never live up to it. But again, HP are the favorites anyways. So.....it is what it is. 

19 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

Lufkin and JT lost a ton of talent from last year. I understand it’s the D1 rankings, but seven seems to be too high with the key pieces and leaders we lost on our defense. Losing Smallwood and the guys on our staff may be huge too. Who knows? I would be ok with 15 or lower to start the season out. Not even sure we should be the favorites in district. I think a few schools in our district return a lot. Honestly, i know rankings don’t matter in high school, but I just hate it when we’re ranked. Kids kinda get big headed and it seems we never live up to it. But again, HP are the favorites anyways. So.....it is what it is. 

So many times these rankings are based on what a team did last year and maybe who they have coming back.  It is not an accurate science in any form for sure.  There is a lot of expectations hanging on those teams that did well last year.  The Panthers IMO just fall short so many times and I think there is a combination of things for that happening.  Not going to get into any of that here but it is what it is for us.  Just saying, we have the same type kids here in Lufkin, as does JT and Longview  and look at the results difference.  There is a bunch of proving to be done here, that both the coaches and players need to find a way to get the job done and do it better. That loss to Lone Star was on the players for turning the ball over 6 times.  In other big games it has been time management of the coaches or a play call here and there. The program as a whole must do better.

59 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

So many times these rankings are based on what a team did last year and maybe who they have coming back.  It is not an accurate science in any form for sure.  There is a lot of expectations hanging on those teams that did well last year.  The Panthers IMO just fall short so many times and I think there is a combination of things for that happening.  Not going to get into any of that here but it is what it is for us.  Just saying, we have the same type kids here in Lufkin, as does JT and Longview  and look at the results difference.  There is a bunch of proving to be done here, that both the coaches and players need to find a way to get the job done and do it better. That loss to Lone Star was on the players for turning the ball over 6 times.  In other big games it has been time management of the coaches or a play call here and there. The program as a whole must do better.

Definitely agree. I would put last year game on both the players and staff. The game was still close after those turnovers early on when we made the comeback. Defense just couldn’t stop (basically) one player after we came back. Not sure what the game plan was for him.....but definitely didn’t work. 

4 hours ago, Pack007 said:

Definitely agree. I would put last year game on both the players and staff. The game was still close after those turnovers early on when we made the comeback. Defense just couldn’t stop (basically) one player after we came back. Not sure what the game plan was for him.....but definitely didn’t work. 

Your talking about the Mims kid, right?  Well, he is just an exceptional athlete and highly recruited.  Have no idea how our guys had planned to handle him,  Lone Star used him well by lining him up all over their formations to get him in favorable matchups.   Bottom line , Lone Star just butt kicked us right out of the playoffs. What's new, if it wasn't them, it's been Longview or JT doing it to us.

New season coming now everybody, so let's just enjoy wherever ride it all takes us fans.  Many fans have lost their expectations for any big LP playoff success nowadays.  All of us like to remember those good old Panther football playoff times.  Did you know Lufkin has only won one 3rd round playoff game in the last 14 years, since 2005?   It's been sort of a long dry spell.  Facts are facts.