Jump to content
PackAttack

LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL 2019

Recommended Posts

Hey guys,  just wanted to talk about a couple of things.

First, Lufkin is NOT hosting an SQT this year.  There will be a ton of construction beginning now, in and around Abe Martin, Jase Magers and the everything across the creek to the south.  In fact, I could not drive in the gates on Saturday because they were doing some parking lot work.  Coach Quick said in our last meeting that the contractors would be turning dirt on the new projects as soon as graduation was over and I think some of that started Saturday. This is probably the most prevalent reason we are not hosting an SQT here this year.

Lufkin will participate in The Woodlands SQT @ THWHS, on Friday May 31st and the Tyler SQT on June 15th at Lindsey Park.    Since the UIL has now approved supervised off season summer conditioning for Texas schools, there may be less emphasis on winning a 7 on 7 Title for some schools.  Not sure if all the 7 on 7 is that high on Lufkin's list anymore, for various reasons and with this added option by the UIL this summer, it makes it easier not to take 7 on 7 as seriously.  Just play a couple of SQT and then get ready for the real season.   Personally, I would not take that many chances for injury with my best players in non meaningful competition.

I wanted to mention something about expectations and how psychological it is for fans in particular.  The players, the team make up and chemistry is different every year.  In fact high school football probably changes player wise more drastically from year to year than in the college or pros.   Everyone starts a year even, some programs have more expectation than others.  Some schools never expect to play more than 10 games a year.  They know where they are in the food chain and it just is what it is for them. however, expectation happen when your team does something great and maybe wins 12 or 13 games or makes the semi finals or even wins a championship.  THAT is when the expectations get you, every year for years and years to come. Why? , because the fans want that experience again and again and again.  It is habit forming. 

The problem is, it just never happens that way year after year and it is easy to be disappointed as a fan, it's even cost coaches their jobs because they can't reach that pinnacle again.  I think back to Lufkin.  From 2001-2005 we went to the semi finals 4 times and won one championship.  Lufkin had done nothing like that since the early 40s.   It was a wonderful time for the program and the fans.  Now 13 years have past since the last semi final appearance, in fact the Lufkin  program has only made the 3rd round in 2012 and 4th round in 2017.  We had big expectations again back in 2018 with arguably one of the best D Lines in the State, alas a 2nd round exit.   We as Lufkin fans are still want to get back to something like 2001-2005.  There has been a lot of disappointment the last few years.

My point, expectations for the most part never reach those exact high points again and if you do reach that high point again, it will be in a completely different manner, different experience.  Why are we like that as fans?, I don't know why, but we are and we get disappoints and upset when out team does not meet the expectations we set for them. It has been that way for decades and decades of sports fans.  Maybe it goes as far back as the original Olympics in Greece, I am sure they had sports heroes too.

After some aging, it helps a little, not much but a little bit, I have started to appreciate just the opportunity to attend games and just enjoy the pure environment of a high school football atmosphere.  The supporting our community, of our hometown team, has more meaning today for me than when I was younger and more blusterous about things.  All the kids from football, band, drill team, cheer team, managers, all put in a bunch of hard work to bring those Friday nights together and you can see it all for just $6.  It is greatest bargain around.  We fans can sit and be the best or worst armchair QBs for nothing at all and then go home at the end bearing no responsibility at all for the outcome of the game.  ;)

Expectations are hard to explain, they come in many different flavors and outcomes, depending on where you are at the time.  No team is always the best, all the time and maybe we step over the boundary when we put that much pressure on kids to always be the top dog every year.  It should be appreciating them more because they gave their best on the field, also in the classroom and at their home.   Maybe the expectation should not be so much the trophy in the case, but making sure those same kids have the opportunity to a successful life , much further down the road, long after sports is gone.  

Definition of expectation

 

1 : the act or state of expecting : anticipation in expectation of what would happen
2a : something expected not up to expectations
b : basis for expecting : assurance they have every expectation of success

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just another test looking for bugs. . .yes, the test picture is a real deal if you want to try it. It is also a system we are testing.

Please email lmiller@msgpr.com any issues you are having with the forum - be very specific in what is wrong or happening in your message. The biggest issue I’m seeing is people trying to post pictures that are too big (over 1MB)

9222AFA7-FF4A-44EB-BCBE-47A64B73A82E.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7-on-7 State Qualifying Continues in The Woodlands on Friday May 31!
Matt SteppMatt SteppMay 27 9:28 am

7-on-7 State Qualifying season continues this Friday at The Woodlands High School, pool play will start up at 5:00pm and the State Qualifying Round will start at 8:30pm. 

Pool A

The Woodlands

Montgomery

Katy Cinco Ranch

Cypress Ranch

Pool B

Conroe

Montgomery Lake Creek

Klein Cain

Cypress Creek

Pool C

Klein Collins

Cypress Fairbanks

Alvin Shadow Creek

Huntsville

Pool D

The Woodlands College Park

Klein

College Station 

Lufkin

State Qualifying Round

Pool A Winner vs Pool B Winner

Pool C Winner vs Pool D Winner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2019 Schedule:  DISTRICT 8-5A  DIVISION I
*All games at 7:30pm Friday unless noted*

Week 1: 8/30
College Station @ Lamar Foster
Conroe Caney Creek @ Montgomery Lake Creek (7pm)
Lufkin vs Longview
Magnolia vs Barbers Hill
Magnolia West vs Brenham (7pm)
Tomball @ Tomball Memorial (7pm)
Waller vs Bryan
Willis @ Huntsville

Week 2: 9/6
Conroe Caney Creek vs Houston Pro-Vision Academy (7pm Thursday)
Lufkin @ Nacogdoches
Magnolia @ Alvin Shadow Creek
Magnolia West vs Sheldon King
Tomball vs Santa Fe
Waller @ Brenham
Willis vs Montgomery Lake Creek

Week 3: 9/13
College Station vs Huntsville
Conroe Caney Creek @ Vidor (7pm)
Lufkin vs Redskins Del Estado
Magnolia vs Montgomery (7pm)
Magnolia West @ Lamar Foster
Tomball @ Port Neches-Groves
Waller @ Sealy
Willis @ New Caney

Week 4: 9/20
College Station vs Nuevo Leon

Week 5: 9/27
College Station @ Conroe Caney Creek (7pm Thursday)
Magnolia @ Waller
Tomball @ Magnolia West 
Willis @ Lufkin

Week 6: 10/4
Conroe Caney Creek @ Tomball
Lufkin @ Magnolia
Magnolia West @ Willis 
Waller @ College Station

Week 7: 10/11
College Station @ Lufkin
Magnolia @ Willis
Magnolia West @ Conroe Caney Creek
Tomball @ Waller

Week 8: 10/18
Lufkin @ Tomball
Magnolia @ College Station 
Waller @ Magnolia West
Willis @ Conroe Caney Creek 

Week 9: 10/25
College Station @ Willis
Conroe Caney Creek @ Waller
Magnolia West @ Lufkin
Tomball @ Magnolia

Week 10: 11/1
College Station @ Tomball
Lufkin @ Conroe Caney Creek
Magnolia @ Magnolia West
Willis @ Waller

Week 11: 11/8
Conroe Caney Creek @ Magnolia
Magnolia West @ College Station
Tomball @ Willis
Waller @ Lufkin

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Pack007 said:

RIP to one of our panthers Dalton Ferrill. Prayers to his friends and family. 

Yes, very sad to hear that news.  He was part of our Lufkin Panther Football Family 2015-2016.

FB_IMG_1559076619736.jpg

FB_IMG_1559076642667.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks PA for the articles and write up. Can’t wait to see it when finished. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/23/2019 at 2:31 PM, PackAttack said:

Which hat do you like the best or don't like at all? Need some help deciding.

 

IMG_4523.jpg

IMG_4522.jpg

 

On 5/23/2019 at 3:19 PM, Pack007 said:

Gold 

I like it,but leave the black offthe lp. Gold with purple LUFKIN on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, this 2019 8-5A District race looks be a tough one this year. Lufkin graduated a bunch and lost a couple kids, a back up QB transferred to Houston and a pretty good starting RB stepped away from the program. Not sure what to expect from the 2019 Lufkin team. There is a nice nucleus of talent returning,  but there are backups from the 2018 team and JV players trying to fill the holes left by graduation. The biggest is the graduation of the entire DI defensive line. The Panthers start out the year playing the 2018 6A DII State Champs, so we will find out early where we stand and where improvement will be needed. Most of the 8-5A Div I district programs secured new coaching staffs this offseason, as Willis did last year. It will be interesting to say the least. Lufkin always seems to come up with kids to fill the gaps left by graduation, we will see what happens. Tomball also got a 5 star WR transfer, with like 60 College offers to play at the next level. Like I said, going to be an interesting year ahead.  Looking forward to see how it all comes together.  Do not want to get caught up in 5A rankings, no matter if it comes from DCTF or AP.   Did not make a difference last year.  The best thing for us will be, to not be ranked highly and picked to win State.  We all know the State crown runs through Highland Park until someone stops their 3 peat winning streak.




 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

Yep, this 2019 8-5A District race looks be a tough one this year. Lufkin graduated a bunch and lost a couple kids, a back up QB transferred to Houston and a pretty good starting RB stepped away from the program. Not sure what to expect from the 2019 Lufkin team. There is a nice nucleus of talent returning,  but there are backups from the 2018 team and JV players trying to fill the holes left by graduation. The biggest is the graduation of the entire DI defensive line. The Panthers start out the year playing the 2018 6A DII State Champs, so we will find out early where we stand and where improvement will be needed. Most of the 8-5A Div I district programs secured new coaching staffs this offseason, as Willis did last year. It will be interesting to say the least. Lufkin always seems to come up with kids to fill the gaps left by graduation, we will see what happens. Tomball also got a 5 star WR transfer, with like 60 College offers to play at the next level. Like I said, going to be an interesting year ahead.  Looking forward to see how it all comes together.  Do not want to get caught up in 5A rankings, no matter if comes from DCTF or AP.   Did not make a difference last year.  The best thing for us will to not be ranked highly and picked to win State.  We all know the State crown runs through Highland Park until someone stops their 3 peat winning streak.




 

Agree. Honestly not sure what to expect from this years group. Should be talented again, but a lot of questions. Coaching and players. I guess we’ll see after the first few weeks of the season. I just Hope injuries doesn’t play a significant role again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

Agree. Honestly not sure what to expect from the years group. Should be talented again, but a lot of questions. Coaching and players. I guess we’ll see after the first few weeks of the season. I just Hope injuries doesn’t play a significant role again. 

Forgot to add we lost our longtime RBs coach David Guzman to the LHS Tennis program and our DC to Tatum as their new HC/AD.  Have not heard if a decision has been made on who will step in permenently in those coaching positions. I am sure it has been done by now. Coach Gamble was moved up to DC during Spring football, so not sure if that was just an interim move for Spring ball or if it will be a permenent move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lufkin's Ja'Lynn Polk norrows down college choices

 

Lufkin’s Ja’Lynn Polk narrows down college choices
By Caleb Beames 

LUFKIN, Texas (KTRE) - One of the most dynamic recivers in Texas 5A football has narrowed down his list of prospective schools for college ball.

Ja’Lynn Polk has announced that one of these four schools - Arizona, Arkansas, Texas Tech or Baylor will be his next landing spot.

The four star recruit out of Lufkin High School has the size and speed to give defenders fits all over the field. Arkansas has been the early favorite for Polk but recruiting can offer some surprises.

Copyright 2019 KTRE. All rights reserved.

 

IMG_20190529_085145.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, I know I'm going to start something here but I've been around Panther football a long time. When I read the article above about one of the most dynamic receivers, it makes me start a comparison in my head.

Makes me start thinking about where all that fits in with our former Lufkin wide out recievers, that I have personally seen play for Lufkin.

Like Sparky Hamilton (Green Bay), Quentin Holman, Terry Mark (U of H),  Dez Bryant (Cowboys and Saints),  Jabryce Taylor (SMU), and Dhalion Phillips. That doesn't include slot WRs like KeKe Coutee (Texans) or Malik Jackson.

So where does Ja'Lynn Phillip fit in among all of these former Panther Wide Out receivers? Yes, he does have one more season to leave his mark as a Panther, so we will see.

My order of best I have seen as a Panther, so far,  is as follows:

Dez Bryant, Jabryce Taylor, Quentin Holman,  Sparky Hamilton, Ja'Lynn Polk, Dhalion Phillips and Terry Mark.

No knock on Polk at all, he is a very good WR for sure. He still has a year ahead of him to see if he can be dynamic enough to move up on my best WRs list. It probably won't take much for him to pass Mr. Hamilton, but those other three?  There is work to do and I wish him the best to try and accomplish that this year.

Go Pack!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Okay, I know I'm going to start something here but I've been around Panther football a long time. When I read the article above about one of the most dynamic receivers, it makes me start a comparison in my head.

Makes me start thinking about where all that fits in with our former Lufkin wide out recievers, that I have personally seen play for Lufkin.

Like Sparky Hamilton (Green Bay), Quentin Holman, Terry Mark (U of H),  Dez Bryant (Cowboys and Saints),  Jabryce Taylor (SMU), and Dhalion Phillips. That doesn't include slot WRs like KeKe Coutee (Texans) or Malik Jackson.

So where does Ja'Lynn Phillip fit in among all of these former Panther Wide Out receivers? Yes, he does have one more season to leave his mark as a Panther, so we will see.

My order of best I have seen as a Panther, so far,  is as follows:

Dez Bryant, Jabryce Taylor, Quentin Holman,  Sparky Hamilton, Ja'Lynn Polk, Dhalion Phillips and Terry Mark.

No knock on Polk at all, he is a very good WR for sure. He still has a year ahead of him to see if he can be dynamic enough to move up on my best WRs list. It probably won't take much for him to pass Mr. Hamilton, but those other three?  There is work to do and I wish him the best to try and accomplish that this year.

Go Pack!

 

Those were some good picks. Definitely my top three all time. A few more i guess that were at least solid for us that I’ve seen over the years and go to guys at the time were Quinn Trimble during the bush years, Ralph Thomas who was a very talented wr with Dez at the time, Keke, Malik and Jeremiah Jefferey also good choices that I’ve seen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I may be bias having played  97-99 Panther teams. But Sparky was amazing size, speed and great hands he destroyed Plano East in Cowboy stadium. I look at the Offense we ran I formation for the most part and having Brian Bradford at QB and still had many Lufkin records until Dez and the others came alone. Given the QB and the offense Sparky killed it. Put him in the spread offense with some of the better QB’s I take him over anyone except Dez. My top 3. 1. Dez can’t argue that. 2. Sparky 3. Holman.  Growing up and watching the Pack I loved Reeves at WR he was a beast in the mid 90’s with carter at QB he could do it all. Not sure how many on the board actually remember Sparky and Reeves and tons of others on how good they really were with the style of offense. I think offense today make players better and we can debate that all day and never agree or disagree. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He may not fall into the top 3 but I remember watching Demarcus Jones. Ill never forget that bomb he caught against Dallas Carter!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Chadalac05 said:

He may not fall into the top 3 but I remember watching Demarcus Jones. Ill never forget that bomb he caught against Dallas Carter!

Forgot about him 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Chadalac05 said:

He may not fall into the top 3 but I remember watching Demarcus Jones. Ill never forget that bomb he caught against Dallas Carter!

One thing you can say about Jones in 2000, he was very good and he was about all the reciever Reggie had that year. Yes, what a catch that was too. Should not have forgotten about him. Probably need to move him up ahead of Phillips and Mark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pack98 said:

I may be bias having played  97-99 Panther teams. But Sparky was amazing size, speed and great hands he destroyed Plano East in Cowboy stadium. I look at the Offense we ran I formation for the most part and having Brian Bradford at QB and still had many Lufkin records until Dez and the others came alone. Given the QB and the offense Sparky killed it. Put him in the spread offense with some of the better QB’s I take him over anyone except Dez. My top 3. 1. Dez can’t argue that. 2. Sparky 3. Holman.  Growing up and watching the Pack I loved Reeves at WR he was a beast in the mid 90’s with carter at QB he could do it all. Not sure how many on the board actually remember Sparky and Reeves and tons of others on how good they really were with the style of offense. I think offense today make players better and we can debate that all day and never agree or disagree. 

I agree. What a day he had against Plano East. Wish Lufkin would run more I Formations with their spread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really sit back and think man Lufkin has had some great players in its history. My all time favorite is still Mann’s as a kid going to the games nothing like that and watching him play. He was a stud and had a great college careers one of the best all times to be exact. Also sad in a way we can name great players who should be playing in the league or played for years and for what ever reason did not happen for the vast  majority.  But the ones that did make it has always came back to Lufkin and helped out.  Maybe PA can chime in on Ken Houston and those players he is in the NFL hall of fame so maybe the best to ever play in Lufkin period? Regardless if it was Dunbar or not. My grandfather always told me stories about Ken and those teams being amazing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pack98 said:

Really sit back and think man Lufkin has had some great players in its history. My all time favorite is still Mann’s as a kid going to the games nothing like that and watching him play. He was a stud and had a great college careers one of the best all times to be exact. Also sad in a way we can name great players who should be playing in the league or played for years and for what ever reason did not happen for the vast  majority.  But the ones that did make it has always came back to Lufkin and helped out.  Maybe PA can chime in on Ken Houston and those players he is in the NFL hall of fame so maybe the best to ever play in Lufkin period? Regardless if it was Dunbar or not. My grandfather always told me stories about Ken and those teams being amazing. 

Brother Bob!!! Think about that man often! You would think Ken Houstons accomplishments in high school and after put him at the top of the best from Lufkin. The man is a hall of famer! Lufkin may never see a player accomplish that ever again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also dont forget about Eric Johnson. That kid was pretty good too! Along with Demetrius McDuffy and ralph in 2006. Pretty good group

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...