Sign in to follow this  
PackAttack

Multi Purpose Competition Gym LOCATION thoughts....

Now that the 75 million dollar bond has passed and been approved. This is good for all of the Lufkin Independent School District. To complete a new and up-to-date energy efficient Middle School is essential and now will be a reality. A real blessing to those students who will attend there in the future.

Now my thoughts on the new multi-purpose competition gym at Lufkin High School. My background for 35 years has been in designing and overseeing electrical engineering projects, so I have seen and worked with lots of blueprints. My thoughts here is the perfect location would be a free-standing gymnasium built directly next to but not touching the front of Abe Martin Stadium. For so many reasons this is most practical solution.  You already have adequate parking facilities right there by the stadium and it's just a short walk to the Elmer Redd Athletic Complex. Easy access for students, coaches and fans alike. The other benefit would be you could also add a new doubled sided Broadcast Booth or Press Box, built in the upper area of the new gymnasium that could serve both basketball, volleyball and football. Remember this would not be connected to the stadium, so it does not effect ADA requirements. Remove the old press box. Then you would be able to build new dressing rooms below the press box area that would serve basketball, volleyball and football teams. Everything multi purpose as the bond states. You could also build a double-sided concession area in the gym, on the stadium side that could be used for multi sports like volleyball, basketball and football. You open one side for football during events at the stadium, then open the other side for the other sports/events inside the gym. ( aka, basketball, volleyball or whatever). Remove the current concession area @ stadium. Use the old dressing rooms areas to expand the current undersized restrooms.  Plumbing is already there or just open things up under the home stands, leading to new stadium entrances. Then you can truly call this a multi-purpose competition facility. That way several improvements are made with one construction. Just a thought, had to get it off my chest.

Well, I don't have any experience with blueprints like you do, but I am thinking this plan of yours (at least from my limited knowledge) sounds GREAT! I am sure there are people out there who know more than I do who could ask more questions and throw this idea around..... just MHO!

58 minutes ago, pantherproud said:

Well, I don't have any experience with blueprints like you do, but I am thinking this plan of yours (at least from my limited knowledge) sounds GREAT! I am sure there are people out there who know more than I do who could ask more questions and throw this idea around..... just MHO!

Well, what I suggested depends on other situations too,  acceptable ground and foundation support in that area, cost and such.  If my math is correct, 13% of 75M is around 9.5M available for the multi-purpose competition gym. That's a good chunk of change to build a nice facility. Like I said, it's only a thought. However, you could put two competition gym floors side by side there in that area. I was just considering that this option could cover multiple areas of improvement. Architects and engineers will know better than I. Just idle thinking on my part.

While at the Spring game, was able to step off the area in front of the stadium home side and that is a perfect location for the Multi-Purpose Competition Gym. I choose my word descriptions carefully. There is so much opportunity to so much more at the stadium location with one new structure than anywhere else on the LHS campus. A Multi Purpose facility in that location benefits so many areas of need and purpose. Just make sense and logic to do so.