CURRENT UP TO DATE INFO on the NEW Multi Purpose Gym , Baseball and Softball Fields BOND Projects.

Photos by Joel Andrews/ Lufkin Daily News

By March 2021. They will be playing basketball, baseball and softball on the Lufkin High School campus, the first time ever all LHS sports on all on the same campus.

5f7fcddba55a1.image.jpg

5f7fcddc11982.image.jpg

5f7fcddbc4d28.image.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

We understand the widows for the Multi Purpose have been delayed 30 days, and won't be completely installed until about the Christmas break.  Waiting on the windows to be installed before new flooring goes down, must have climate controlled environment.   This has limited somewhat how much new outside wall constriction can be added with widows not installed.

• 3 weeks later...

Construction companies update Lufkin ISD trustees on bond projects

https://lufkindailynews.com/news/local/article_1b984fef-0268-5877-9b4b-f5409dc85ace.html

Lufkin school trustees heard presentations from Barry and Clay Construction and Langston Construction Tuesday morning during its special called meeting about the state of the bond projects.

Kevin Langston with Langston Construction said they were about 75% complete with the athletic complex and fields.

“They actually started putting the turf down, aligning that up today, so there’s actually some green contrasting color on the baseball field today,” Langston said.

They also are getting to the finishing stages of the field house.

“All in all, everything’s going really smoothly right now,” Langston said. “Most all the subcontractors have done a really bang-up job staying in touch, staying coordinated, keeping us enough manpower. We had a couple who aren’t quite, but we’re making arrangements with them to supplement their power, and they’re telling us that they will be manning the job better, so we don’t foresee any delays on that front, too.”

He reiterated the original completion date of April 7-10th. He said they were ahead of schedule but said there is no way to dry-in the majority of this type of project, and as they head into the rainy season, they might run into some delays.

Stephen Berry with Barry and Clary Construction said they are about 65% complete on the multipurpose facility, and they are about to be dried-in.

“On the back side of the practice gym, we’ve started putting our horizontal metal siding in, and each one of those metal recesses is going to be a translucent panel, so we’ll have natural light coming into the practice gym at all times,” Berry said.

All of the lights are installed in the practice and competition gym, and once they are completely in the dry, they will be able to start the painting process.

“You can kind of just say that we’re ready to move into the next phase of finishes,” Berry said. “A lot of the hard work is almost behind us, and now we’re getting into mainly the finishes.”

As for the middle school, they have gotten the electrical line moved after six months working with Oncor, and they are into Area A, Berry said.

He showed the board pictures of the beginning of concrete and set beams.

“We’re going to have a lot of classroom space, and it’s going to work really well for the students when it’s completed,” Berry said.

There will be a good bit of distance between the buildings, Berry said. He suggested giving the students a P.E. credit for going between classes.

“But they’re all under one roof,” Superintendent Lynn Torres said.

Berry also said they are beginning to work in area drains to control water, and they have enjoyed not having as much rain lately to get ahead of schedule.

Phase 1 should be complete by November 2021.

The board also canvassed the Nov. 3 general election votes for two at-large positions for school board. Incumbents Andra Self and Kristi Gay maintained their positions.

Torres read the totals: Gay received 9,733 votes. Andra received 7,813 votes. Contender Michael Arnold received 6,229 votes.

There were a record 23,775 total votes cast in the election, which Torres said is a record that may never be topped again for the district.

Lufkin High School associate principal Julie McManus spoke about the 2021-22 course description guide, including new courses such as African American Studies and additional concentrators and completors within the CTE pathways.

The African American Studies class is taught as a social studies elective class and covers the history and citizenship of African American culture and history, McManus said.

“It’s a wide range of information covered within the course, and we had some interest in the course, so we wanted to offer it in the guide that we’ll turn into registration in January,” she said.

Board member Matt Knight asked what kind of numbers the CTE programs are seeing right now, and McManus said the fall numbers were down likely because of the virtual learning, but the nine-week numbers looked a little better, and the spring numbers looked a little better than that.

Shelly Slaton, assistant superintendent for education services and accountability, will discuss the recommendations for the 2020-21 textbook adoption committee at the regular meeting Thursday.

Grace Juarez’s email address is grace.juarez@lufkindailynews.com.

5 hours ago, Webleedpurple said:

Hey PackAttack, I invite you and the rest of the board out for the first game. It's on me.

Would like to be there, wish I could.  Probably be pretty crowded out there that first game.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

New Lufkin High Scholl Multi Purpose UPDATE.

https://www.facebook.com/885535244858752/videos/1611640885704107/

On the bond construction update presented by Kevin Langston of Langston Construction, he stated the projects at the ball fields and the field house were about 80-90% complete. Langston said they have reached a big milestone in finishing the field house, and the fields were in a really good place.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2020 at 6:41 AM, Packfan49 said:

I was unaware of a pond on LISD property , so what will become of it.? Will they make it a attractive area like the pond at SFA, that would be awesome in my opinoin

They drained the pond.  Just a big drain area now.

• 3 weeks later...

There was a slight add on to the New baseball and Softball Complex.  From the LDN.

"The board discussed adopting a change order worth $27,051 to extend the width of the dugouts at these fields by 3 feet, 9 inches. Superintendent Lynn Torres said, as it was explained to them, it’s as if the district has state-of-the-art facilities with a dugout suited for little league.

Board member Kristi Gay asked if this money was coming out of the contingency fund for this project. Torres said this is beyond the contingency fund. Gay asked what that money was spent on. Torres said she would need to get a report on that.

However, the contingency funds on other projects have not been spent yet, Torres said."

Now my question, are did the people that designed these dugouts not know this already?,  or that was not recognized by the school before this project started?  Hadn't these guys or gals designed dugouts for other 5A high schools?

Then someone on the board is worried about where the money is coming from to do the addition?   Three feet Nine inches?  That must be all they have room to expand. That is NOT much extra space.   Somebody messed up.  This is why schools should ask for enough bond money up front to build a 1st class facility, with everything as big as you need it NOW.  Then you have a complex that is good to go for 10-15 years down the road,  needing no additions or expansions.  Plus it cost a lot more later than if you do it later on in those years.   

Saw this all the time when I was doing project electrical engineering and lay out bids.  It could be any job  of course, but schools cut corners on athletic facilities cost the most to get down to just the essentials.  

5 hours ago, PackAttack said:

There was a slight add on to the New baseball and Softball Complex.  From the LDN.

"The board discussed adopting a change order worth $27,051 to extend the width of the dugouts at these fields by 3 feet, 9 inches. Superintendent Lynn Torres said, as it was explained to them, it’s as if the district has state-of-the-art facilities with a dugout suited for little league.

Board member Kristi Gay asked if this money was coming out of the contingency fund for this project. Torres said this is beyond the contingency fund. Gay asked what that money was spent on. Torres said she would need to get a report on that.

However, the contingency funds on other projects have not been spent yet, Torres said."

Now my question, are did the people that designed these dugouts not know this already?,  or that was not recognized by the school before this project started?  Hadn't these guys or gals designed dugouts for other 5A high schools?

Then someone on the board is worried about where the money is coming from to do the addition?   Three feet Nine inches?  That must be all they have room to expand. That is NOT much extra space.   Somebody messed up.  This is why schools should ask for enough bond money up front to build a 1st class facility, with everything as big as you need it NOW.  Then you have a complex that is good to go for 10-15 years down the road,  needing no additions or expansions.  Plus it cost a lot more later than if you do it later on in those years.   

Saw this all the time when I was doing project electrical engineering and lay out bids.  It could be any job  of course, but schools cut corners on athletic facilities cost the most to get down to just the essentials.  

Now if they are talking about 3 feet 9 inch depth expansion and not width of the dug out, that is something different and more substantial.  I am hoping this was mis-phrased terminology.

On 3/3/2021 at 5:06 PM, PackAttack said:

Now if they are talking about 3 feet 9 inch depth expansion and not width of the dug out, that is something different and more substantial.  I am hoping this was mis-phrased terminology.

Have you gotten Any clarity on this PA?

• 2 weeks later...

Whitehouse has a very nice complex too and they do not have covered seating, same for in Corsicana and Hudson.  So, there are nice complexes out there that do not have covered seating.  I don't think it matters one way or another to myself, just wanted to note that some folks have included covered seating.  I'm sure there are several cons about having it,  I do remember bird nest and pigeon issues with the covered seating in Jasper.  So, that is a definite negative.

Like I said, I'm pretty excited to see the new stuff at Lufkin and am very happy about all the additions on the LHS campus.  They have been a long time coming and something John Outlaw envisioned when he came to Lufkin in 1995.  It's taken 25 years to accomplish, and I'm sure if he were here to see the finished product, he would be proud.

• 2 weeks later...