PackAttack

CURRENT UP TO DATE INFO on the NEW Multi Purpose Gym , Baseball and Softball Fields BOND Projects.

Lufkin High School’s new multipurpose facility should be finished in 12 to 16 months depending on the weather, according to Lufkin High School Principal Brandon Boyd.

The access road behind the LHS football practice fields and tennis courts has been shut down since December for construction access to the new Multi Purpose Gym being built directly behind the Abe Martin Stadium scoreboard. Crews have already completed a new parking lot and driveway on the East side where the materials to build the facility are handled and stored.

The contractors have leveled and completed the dirt work for the foundation, steel is about to go into the ground for the concrete to be poured. Next month we should be able to see some walls going up.

The Multi Purpose will house  the NEW Panther gymnasium that will be home to the LHS basketball and volleyball teams, who have been playing at the old Panther Gymnasium on the Lufkin Middle School campus for the past three decades. The new facility will hold around 2,000 people, giving the high school more room for students and staff to watch a game or performance.

The Multi Purpose will have two courts, the Main Panther court, there you will be able to watch one game and then walk through to another game on court #2, which will also have seating and be used for team practices and tournaments.

There will be complete office space for basketball and volleyball coaching, with large locker/dressing rooms that can also be used during the football season for visiting teams.

The new Panther Multi Purpose facility will have state-of-the-art equipment and will be one of the most modern athletic facilities around East Texas, one of the nicest gymnasiums in East Texas.

The new baseball and softball fields will start this Spring and will be completely artifical turf with LED lighting, The two fields will be located close together, across the creek,  behind the new multi purpose gym, allowing for a much better viewing experience than they have had at Morris Frank Park.  

Lufkin-Multi-Purpose-4-15-19.jpg

It sounds nice. I was hoping they could finish everything during this coming football season. But a year isn’t bad i guess. I wish they had a virtual tour on the site or something where you could see everything that’s being described. The money we could make on tournaments and playoff games instead of the teams choosing AC, could be beneficial in the long run i guess....🤷🏽‍♂️

Two or three pics taken between the Jase Magers and Abe Martin visitors side. Abe Martin scoreboard is on far right if you need a reference point.

20200215_135437.jpg

20200215_135442.jpg

There is a beautiful pond that has been uncovered behind those cut trees, it has fish jumping all around in it. The pond is on school property.

20200308_172219.jpg

Dirt is being moved out and leveled to prepare for the new Lufkin Panther Baseball/Softball Complex.

20200315_180611.jpg

20200315_180558.jpg

Was thinking about the new projects going on out at Lufkin High this morning.  The school shut down has probably helped advanced the time table for completion a bit or maybe it helped make up for lost time due to weather.   Have not been out there in several days.  Last time was just to check out the the new scoreboard sign and get a picture of that.    

You can see from the Student parking lot the foundation and concrete work is progressing very well for the gym.  They are getting close to completing that phase.   Once the concrete is in place and cured well, then the walls and roof will begin to be installed and once that is done, things will start to move more quickly.  They poured a new driveway very early in the project that will allow materials to be brought in and unloaded easily right by the building.  Once the walls and roof are in place, then there will be greater progress to see.  From the loop side by the practice fields,  you can see a ton of dirt being moved around and removed, getting ready to build the new Baseball and Softball complex and adding more courts to the Tennis Complex.   The slow process of the ground , drainage and foundation work is the most tedious of all at the beginning of any project.  Once the dirt work, base and drainage system is completed, the new fields will going in fairly quick with new artificial turf .  The fencing and lighting and stands are not normally long term installations.  They could be completed in just a few months. 

By June, you will start to see everything starting to take more shape and the folks will be able to actually see progress week by week.   By football season,  the multi purpose complex will be taking full form, however still a few more months from completion.   The Baseball and Softball complex could be closer to completion by late fall of 2020, and should be ready for full use in 2021.   Hopefully,  Lufkin basketball will get a chance to play at some point in their new digs sometime in 2021.

I plan to go out next week a take another close look around and get some pictures,  only if enough progress has been made since my last trip out there 3 weeks ago.  Will get back soon and let you all know.   Thanks.

Go Pack!!

Took a few photos today out at construction. Ton of dirtwork and drainge preparation going on at the new Baseball/Softball complex. The Multi Purpose has the practice gym floor poured. They are still working and preparing the ground for the foundation concrete pour on the main gym and offices. They still have a bunch of rebar forms to set. They are at several days out finishing forms or ground work. Looks like coaches offices for Baseball/Softball have been formed up with water/sewer pipes set .  They are making great progress in this good weather.  Will see much more visible progress when all the foundations and groundwork are completed.

20200415_171700.jpg

20200415_171919.jpg

20200415_171902.jpg

Finally made it back by the construction today. Not much new to talk about, except they have finally got to the point of pouring the support beam footings for the concrete building columns and some of the foundation for the main part of the New Gym.  It looks like part of the concourse area The new gym floor will be about in the area of the concrete truck.

Ground and foundation preparations always take the longest of all, especially with all the rain that has occurred the past few months. Steel for beams,  Plumbing pipes and electric conduits all in the process of being installed. They will have several good days of weather ahead to catch up and pour lots of concrete. The structure is going to be huge. Lots of concrete yet to be poured.

20200424_121428.jpg

20200424_121127.jpg

One thing I remember said from one of our meetings last fall.   Coach said that even though the two were going to sit side by side, the footprint of the New Multipurpose Gym/Facility project would NOT match the existing Abe Martin footprint.     The answer again, is the ADA issue and how Abe Martin was grand fathered to some degree by the 1991 ADA regulations to make improvements, it's now called SAFE  HARBOR  under the revisions made to the ADA regulation in 2010.  This 2010 revision is why the ADA seating was installed on both sides of the stadium, on each end of the existing concrete seating, but NOT touching the existing concrete seating.  If they are not touching, then the existing old structure, built in 1973,  and before 1991 is not required to meet ADA compliance, not even the press box.  The 2010 revision prompted the Abe Martin seating additions for handicap access for the fans and having 1% of the seating capacity in a stadium to be ADA compliant, according to the new 2010 regulations.     Take what you can get right now and these new additions will be spectacular once they are completed.  

https://www.nfhs.org/articles/disabled-spectator-access-to-facilities-contemporary-legal-standards/

I've often thought about what it would cost to remove the Abe Martin concrete seating and press box, then overlaying the remaining existing concrete supports with new ADA compliant Aluminum seating ?? A few upgrades and renovations below the stands and you will have a nice place for a long time.  Much less expensive than a total implode and rebuild or complete new stadium. Maybe it could be done for a couple million. I don't know, but you would save on soil work and your supports are already in place. That in itself is a huge savings. The aluminum is lighter, so the weight would not be an issue. Just a thought, I'm absolutely sure the school district has thought about many options over the years and had engineers give their expertise on them all.  It's just a matter of having the money to get something like that done.  For some reason here in Lufkin, it's hard to get money approved by the voters for football.  It has always puzzled me.

https://adata.org/faq/my-building-grandfathered-under-older-ada-standards-or-do-i-need-comply-new-2010-ada-standards

Going to delete some of the older construction photos, just in case you notice stuff like that.   No need to just see dirt work.  The progress and up to date scenes of every thing will much more interesting.  Right now, close to the first of May, things are still in the ground preparation stages.    So hang in there, I know time is ticking slow for lots of people right now.  

A couple of months back there was some disagreement about the downsizing of the Baseball/Softball Complex offices and concession stands, a total downsize of 2600 FT.  Some were not happy about it.

I wanted to show you in full context what has happen and how there really isn't a negative to any of it and a BIG plus on the Multi-Purpose Gym.  

What they deducted from the Baseball/Softball Complex was,  they eliminated the two concession stands from the main building and moved them to the storage buildings under the press box.  More space was deducted in the office areas.  They budgeted $5.25 Million to do the work and as proposed was going to be $7-* Million.  

What is happening is the Multi-Purpose is going to be much larger than planned 20,000 sq ft larger and more money is being spent there, $13.6M instead of $9.45M. 

The Reality here is the concessions and addition office space can be easily added at the Baseball/Softball Complex sometime in the future, whereas additions to the Multi-Purpose Gym need to be done now and could not be added on later.

Here is the complete explanation that we posted a while back from the LDN. It's a good time to just to refresh everyone's memory.

• Representatives from Goodwin-Lasiter-Strong presented updated proposed plans for the ball field construction on the high school campus.

This proposed plan is 6,923 square feet, 2,600 square feet less than the original plans. It would cost somewhere around $7-8 million. The fields were originally estimated to be 7% of the $75 million bond or $5.25 million.

Mark Strong and Hudson Henderson said they compressed rooms, reduced interior corridors and opened more of the facility to the outside to cut as much square footage as possible.

“When we first started cutting things, we were taking a red pen to the plan,” Henderson said. “After the conversations we had, and on this revision, I didn’t take a red pen. I took a pair of scissors.”

While these changes still allow for everything a student athlete should need, the changes will be felt, Henderson said. Things are smaller, things are different, rooms are missing, hallways are missing.

“One of the big things we did — I know there was some big debate in the past about whether there should be one concession stand or two — you’ll notice concession stands are no longer a part of this building,” Henderson said. “The storage rooms that are underneath the press boxes at each field will now serve as the concession stands.”

Athletic Director Todd Quick told the board this plan looked good — the students could deal with smaller facilities. His concern was making sure they kept the integrity of the turf fields.

“Our main concern was the turf because that’s where we’re going to spend about 99% of our time,” Quick said. “Very little time is going to be spent in here.”

The general consensus of the board seemed to be that this was the most they could cut from the plan, and they needed to go with it and get it out for bid for a guaranteed maximum price.

“We’re going to spend forever if we don’t nail it down,” board member Hall Henderson said. “At this point, I think we’ve reached the point of the integrity of the project.”

“These are your minimum necessities to maintain a baseball/softball complex,” Hudson Henderson said.

Stephen Berry with Berry & Clay Construction, construction manager for the multipurpose facility and the middle school projects, discussed a potential guaranteed maximum price for the multipurpose facility.

The anticipated price was $215 per square foot. However, thanks to quite a few bids that came in, the price came out to $208.14, he said.

The original square footage was set at 45,000, but the current total is 65,200 square feet. Clay said that after he spoke with those who would be using it, the additional space was determined necessary to properly serve students.

“The building is actually 20,000 square feet bigger than the bond, but that was more or less because we added an auxiliary gym to the back and we increased it so we could have cross court,” Clay said. “These were all things that the district as a group felt was best for the overall use of the facility.”

Superintendent Lynn Torres and several board members commented, pointing out the need and thanking the company for approaching the building plans in the way they did.

“I don’t think people realize how gym-short we actually are currently at the high school with just the purple and the gold gym and having to run adaptive P.E., P.E. classes, drill team, cheerleading and so forth,” Torres said. “This actually puts us in a better position.”

“We’re gym poor, and from a functionality standpoint, our high school doesn’t operate well, and won’t, for game nights, especially tournaments, if we don’t do the facility in the way it’s designed now,” trustee Hall Henderson said.

The design process began by asking all involved for everything in their wildest dreams. That resulted in a design that was 99,000 square feet. Then the designers scaled back and scaled back until they couldn’t scale anymore unless they wanted to take away from the students’ experience, Clay said.

“I appreciate the fact that ya’ll went to the people who were going to be using it and said, what’s your wildest dream?” member Allison Langston said. “Now let’s edit that dream to what we need to have, functionally, to make this work for our students and our coaches and everybody involved.”

The total price of the project comes out to $13.6 million. Local companies will receive $3.8 million for their work on the project.

A few day ago when I was able to go out and check on the new construction.  I noticed they still had a lots of water and sewer pipe to install and a bunch of dirt work to complete on the back side of the project.   This area has taken a long while to complete for some reason.   

Anyway, they have made a lot of progress in that area in the 2 weeks since I was last out that way.  The construction area for the baseball/softball complex has really moved out a lot of earth.  They have everything to grade level now, looks like they are working on the road construction to reconnect the Old Junior High East Road, which I believe is Ware Rd now.   Working on the drainage culverts too.  They are really moving along well on that project with the better weather.  Concrete should be soon there too for the offices and light pole bases,  as well as with the Multipurpose. Pouring the remainder of the foundation and concrete building supports will happen soon.  Then we will be able to start  seeing more visual progress.    .  

No pictures today because there is not enough substantial change to post any additional.  Maybe next week.     I am excited to see everything going in and to watch the progress move along with time.  They are spending $18.85 million dollars for this total upgrade.  It's all going to look very nice when they are finished.  

I was unaware of a pond on LISD property , so what will become of it.? Will they make it a attractive area like the pond at SFA, that would be awesome in my opinoin

It is really a nice little area, located back to the left behind the Lufkin High maintainence building. It's behind a built up dirt embankment,  to keep water from draining through that area by the tennis courts to the creek. It alway has a good water level and it does support aquadic life. They could make it a nature study area or part of a walking trail. The new ball fields are being constructed just to the left in this picture.

You can see the pond at top of page behind maintenance building.

56ad27fce8528.image.jpg.1fa33f3f3caa1789

Goodwin, Lasiter and Strong / Berry and Clay Construction are the same for the Lufkin ISD construction.

We have seen no drawings of the proposed interior.

https://lufkindailynews.com/coronavirus/article_a0ed7898-99fd-11ea-9094-7b602fb13f5f.html

Lufkin trustees discuss work on bond, construction projects

Lufkin school trustees on Tuesday discussed movements on bond construction and contract renewals during its regular meeting.

Superintendent Lynn Torres said there was a second meeting of contractors at Lufkin Middle School last week, and bids are coming due this week to Berry & Clay Construction, the district’s construction manager for the multi-purpose facility and the middle school bond projects, and a guaranteed maximum price is expected soon.

“We are walking and looking at the first part of the building that will be pulled down in the back of the campus,” Torres said. “We have removed most of the movable items, there’s still a few to go. We’re now looking at that particular building with an eye for salvage and for passing down.”

The district will attempt to save items like water fountains, lights, basketball goals, flooring, etc. for other campuses to use, and they will be partnering with a local entity with “an eye for auctioning and salvaging,” Torres said.

“We will be in the business of allowing that to happen and recouping some money as we move forward before we just bulldoze the building,” she said. “We’re preparing all of that, and we are anxious to hopefully start construction on some of that this summer.”

The district is continuing to plan for upcoming instruction as regulations are loosened or added because of COVID-19. Gov. Greg Abbott announced on Monday that districts are allowed to have in-person summer school, and board member Don Mulbach asked how LISD was planning on addressing this announcement.

“We are looking at that, and at this time we’re not anticipating having a mass in-school summer school,” she said. “It’s just not going to be something that works. However, we’ll still be offering online instruction for the high school where they can have credit recovery, credit advancement and dual credit opportunities.

‘‘Remember that in all grades, K through eighth, we have actually sent home all of their consumable textbook materials that have not been used for the last nine weeks, and so they will have summer program, and most teachers are including a guide for home use of what those curriculum materials are.”

An individual campus might be able to make the summer school work for students who need an extra head start, but it would be too big of an obstacle for the district to bring in en masse, Torres said.

“We are, however, looking at that guidance very closely because we feel that’s going to be a window of what our fall of 2020-21 is going to look like, as well, if we don’t get some relief from the spread of this disease,” she said. “We’re putting a critical eye to that because we’re trying to anticipate if that becomes the norm for the next school year, what are we going to do.”

Additionally, the high school has been through a full day of videoing for the hybrid graduation ceremony, and it has been going well, Torres said.

“We are one day in to the hybrid graduation ceremony, and the results and the comments from the parents and the students have been very positive about the event,” she said. “It’s been a very intimate type setting for the graduates to celebrate their graduation with their families. It’s been a good day.”

The board also passed renewing contacts with insurance companies and with the Beth and Horace Stubblefield Learning Center. Tim Hobbs, district purchasing and risk management coordinator, presented the contacts with Texas Kids First and the Texas Association of School Boards Risk Management Fund for student athletic insurance and property, liability and auto insurance.

Hobbs said each contract increased from last year. Board member Hall Henderson asked why the price continued to increase after the sharp increase from last year, and Hobbs said that was normal across the state.

However, he also said TASB Risk Management Fund had little competition because of its deductible. Board members approved the renewal of the contracts but said they would like to look at a different method of obtaining contracts to give more companies a chance to bid.

Torres said they are continuing to look at updates regarding legislation like House Bill 3 and the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security Act.

“We’re paying attention, and we’ll know more as we move through the summer,” Torres said.

Grace Juarez's email address is grace.juarez@lufkindailynews.com.

No updates discussed on the current progress of the New Multi Purpose Gym and the Baseball/Softball Complex.

I haven't been out there in a couple of weeks.  Hope they have gotten closer to finishing the concrete foundations , drainage system and maybe the lighting piers.  The weather is due to be very good the next couple of weeks.   Looking forward to seeing the structures when they start going into the air.

Still hoping for some integration between the new multi purpose gym complex design and Abe Martin complex.  It is just going to look strange and odd, if Abe does not have a little something of the new aesthetics that are included in the new multi purpose complex.  Marshall is spending big dollars improving their athletic facilities without bond money.  I mean big changes in all areas of their athletic facilities.  Have been very impressed to see how they are getting these improvements done. They have been very proactive as a district the last two or three years.

More pictures later in the week when they get their graduation out of the way, it maybe next week before I try to get back out.  All good and we should start to see more progress once they get the critical foundations all secure.

All of these new additions to the Lufkin High campus will be awesome when completed.  The new Multi-Purpose facility ( New Gym) and the new baseball/Softball complex and the additions to the Tennis Complex.

It's crazy they had to label a new GYM a Multi Purpose Facility to get it passed on the Bond with the new Middle School,. That's is how it is done in Lufkin.

As good as these additions will be, its no secret this should have been done 10-12 years ago when John Outlaw was pushing for all sports  to be consolidated together on one campus.  Roy Knight and the school board at that time just did not get that accomplished before John passed away.

When we get our current projects complete, we still will have issues at Abe Martin regarding a press box and ADA deficiencies and our Indoor Practice facility, that is 15 years old and only has a 60 yard long field, probably needs some work.  That building has been well used by every LHS sport, even Diboll and Huntington football have been allowed to use it in bad weather.  Maybe the band has practiced a time or two in there as well.  It was one of the best 15 years ago, now it probably needs an update.

JT and Tyler Lee and Marshal are all building 120 yard long Indoor or Cover turf field practice facilities with 60 ft tall roof.  Nacogdoches and Marshall are doing major renovations to their current basketball gyms.  Marshall is getting new turf on their football field, baseball and softball fields.  Nacogdoches is gearing up for several major athletic projects.  

It won't be long before Lufkin's new  projects will just mirror what everyone else has done.  JT and Tyler Lee were given about $90M each for their renovations from a 2017 Bond.  Both are building long overdue athletic complexes and indoor fields for practice.  Both have been working out of some very out dated sports facilities. 

Very thankful for the new projects at Lufkin High school, estatic even.  They are going to be awesome.  Much needed.  Let's keep it up and continue to improve ALL of the athletic facilities on campus and I'm talking the football stadium, which is the biggest money making sports on campus.  The pavement walking into that stadium looks like crap, with huge cracks everywhere and needed fixing 10 years ago.  The fencing is old , main gates are misaligned and rusted.  The Press box we all know about,  no discussion needed there.    My hope is those things are being addressed in some way very soon.   Go Pack!

20200523_193726.jpg

Was able to get out to Lufkin High late Saturday evening.  The Baseball/Softball Complex has progressed.  The foundation and underground plumbing are finished for the offices, dressing rooms, training, storage and whatever else in included into the building.   Drainage culverts  are ready to be installed underground.  Some new lines were installed from the loop , along the practice fields drive to the new construction.    Some sort of natural gas, petroleum or steam line, they have yellow flag markings.     In the next 30-60 days I figure there will be more visible progress to see.   Not sure what is on the skids under wraps by the office foundation.  

20200523_193728.jpg

20200523_194152_001.jpg

All of the outer foundation is now poured, all the underground plumbing  completed.  Only the main gym floor is not poured, they are working on that now.   Within the next 30-45 days, we may see some structure rising up to see.  This part of the project has been slow by most standard I've see,  That could be for many reasons, so no use to speculate.  The foundation is very close to finished, the only way to go from there is up.  Looking forward to see that happen.

Multi Purpose has a large crane is on site.  That is why they have not poured the center portion.  Red Iron is going up on the East side of the construction.  Lots of new activity over on the baseball/softball complex.  They are bringing in lots of extra material now.   Maybe later this weekend when they get a little more  progress to show.

Here is a refresher about everything taking place and how it all will look when finished.

https://www.ktre.com/2019/04/17/lufkin-isd-unveils-new-modern-buildings/

EZC3PIxWAAEbi7E.jpg

EZC3Pg3XgAARVHW.jpg

EZC3P08WkAInDis.jpg

The final say was up to the school board and the AD,  all agreed to reduce the baseball /softball complex building by 2600 sq ft. from the original proposed plans by the architects.  Reducing a plan to meet budgets is not uncommon at all with most plan proposal.   Much of that is the two concession stands and some of that area will now be covered,  but open to the outside.  The architects submitted a plan that would have cost the district $7-8M and they had only budgeted $5.25 of the bond money for that project. Architects know this going in and come in with a top of the line lay out, knowing some will be cut, but hope to keep a little extra.  It's about makes them extra add on money..  

The original multi purpose lay out was 99,000 sq ft.  They cut that down to 45,000 sq ft, then went back and added 23,200 sq. ft., that added the practice floor to the complex, making the grand total of 68,200 sq ft.  .  So, the expense for the multi purpose went to $13.6M , over the $9.5M budgeted in the bond. a $4.1M additional cost.   Hope I'm explaining this clearly.  So, the district will pay the extra $$$ for the Multi Purpose either out of the general fund or with $$$ left over from a previous bond.   

Amway, here is how the school board, architects and the AD explained it all in The Lufkin Daily News:

Goodwin, Lasiter and Strong's new proposed plan is 6,923 square feet, 2,600 square feet less than the original plans. It would cost somewhere around $7-8 million. The fields were originally estimated to be 7% of the $75 million bond or $5.25 million.

Mark Strong and Hudson Henderson said they compressed rooms, reduced interior corridors and opened more of the facility to the outside to cut as much square footage as possible.

“When we first started cutting things, we were taking a red pen to the plan,” Henderson said. “After the conversations we had, and on this revision, I didn’t take a red pen. I took a pair of scissors.”

While these changes still allow for everything a student athlete should need, the changes will be felt, Henderson said. Things are smaller, things are different, rooms are missing, hallways are missing.

“One of the big things we did — I know there was some big debate in the past about whether there should be one concession stand or two — you’ll notice concession stands are no longer a part of this building,” Henderson said. “The storage rooms that are underneath the press boxes at each field will now serve as the concession stands.”

Athletic Director Todd Quick told the board this plan looked good — the students could deal with smaller facilities. His concern was making sure they kept the integrity of the turf fields.

“Our main concern was the turf because that’s where we’re going to spend about 99% of our time,” Quick said. “Very little time is going to be spent in here.”

The general consensus of the board seemed to be that this was the most they could cut from the plan, and they needed to go with it and get it out for bid for a guaranteed maximum price.

“We’re going to spend forever if we don’t nail it down,” board member Hall Henderson said. “At this point, I think we’ve reached the point of the integrity of the project.”

“These are your minimum necessities to maintain a baseball/softball complex,” Hudson Henderson said.