PackAttack

CURRENT UP TO DATE INFO on the NEW Multi Purpose Gym , Baseball and Softball Fields BOND Projects.

FX42DDAJ6ZC7JI3QO3FOJP7KXM.jpg

This drawing minus the concession stands on each end and a reduction in office, dressing room and storage,  Storage and concessions were moved to under the two new press box areas. The concessions and storage reduction on the main building is probably a good chunk of the sq footage eliminated.

•  
  •  Representatives from Goodwin-Lasiter-Strong presented updated proposed plans for the ball field construction on the high school campus funded by money from the $75 million bond passed last year.

This proposed plan is 6,923 square feet, 2,600 square feet less than the original plans. It would cost somewhere around $7-8 million. The fields were originally estimated to be 7% of the $75 million bond or $5.25 million.

Mark Strong and Hudson Henderson said they compressed rooms, reduced interior corridors and opened more of the facility to the outside to cut as much square footage as possible.

“When we first started cutting things, we were taking a red pen to the plan,” Henderson said. “After the conversations we had, and on this revision, I didn’t take a red pen. I took a pair of scissors.”

While these changes still allow for everything a student athlete should need, the changes will be felt, Henderson said. Things are smaller, things are different, rooms are missing, hallways are missing.

“One of the big things we did — I know there was some big debate in the past about whether there should be one concession stand or two — you’ll notice concession stands are no longer a part of this building,” Henderson said. “The storage rooms that are underneath the press boxes at each field will now serve as the concession stands.”

Athletic Director Todd Quick told the board this plan looked good — the students could deal with smaller facilities. His concern was making sure they kept the integrity of the turf fields.

“Our main concern was the turf because that’s where we’re going to spend about 99% of our time,” Quick said. “Very little time is going to be spent in here.”

The general consensus of the board seemed to be that this was the most they could cut from the plan, and they needed to go with it and get it out for bid for a guaranteed maximum price.

“We’re going to spend forever if we don’t nail it down,” board member Hall Henderson said. “At this point, I think we’ve reached the point of the integrity of the project.”

“These are your minimum necessities to maintain a baseball/softball complex,” Hudson Henderson said.

The board made no action during this work session. Action may be taken during the next regular meeting Thursday evening.

Grace Juarez’s email address is grace.juarez@lufkindailynews.com.

t_7d70951f5f504561bfee5ef8d178ae5b_name_file_1280x720_2000_v3_1_.jpg

New Gym at Abe Martin Complex.  You can see the current Video/Scoreboard in the middle of the drawing.  It is being built 8 ft behind the scoreboard.

One thing that bothered me all year is how the school could not get 4 different sign companies to follow through and replace the sign at the top of the Abe Martin scoreboard. Local companies and one from out of town.   Those local companies would come out and look at the sign and never come back.    Also wish they would add LUFKIN ISD to the top or bottom of the board .    Seems like so many new stadiums are being built in 5A and 6A.  Most at least have the new turf and new LED Video boards and new press box to accommodate people.  The Texas High coaches had very little space in Abe's PB and the Frisco Independence folks had none and sat in the stands next to us.  Also, they could not believe how people are required to get in and out of that press box.  Climbing a ladder, opening a door and stepping in at the same time.   You know your in good shape if you make it in and down again, without falling to your demise on the concrete steps below.

It’s going to take them ten years to finish anything. Can’t even put the 2001 title sign back up. Why are people coming to look at and then leaving? That’s crazy 

12 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

It’s going to take them ten years to finish anything. Can’t even put the 2001 title sign back up. Why are people coming to look at and then leaving? That’s crazy 

Idk the specifics but there has to be a reason. I dont think companies would just turn down money making opportunities. In my experience with quoting jobs. The only way i wouldnt do the job is if it wasnt cost efficient for myself or if the customer had unrealistic expectations of what my services should be. Maybe the companies are just turning down money but judging by how other things are handled around here. I would put money on it being a “we want you to do this but” situation. Like i said idk the details just a guess based on our track record.

46 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

Well, in defense of the school they have been trying to get the sign fixed since before the season began.  I don't know what underlying issues exist, just know the effort has been made for the past 4 months.

29 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

The whole LISD is embarrassing. Tired of all of them.....if i can be honest. I know the coaches watching this play like a hawk 

Watching this??  Why?  We are harmless and unimportant. 😉

On 11/20/2019 at 11:51 AM, Pack007 said:

The whole LISD is embarrassing. Tired of all of them.....if i can be honest. I know the coaches watching this place like a hawk 

Its very embarrassing,now they spend 1 million on cyber technology.guess we can get the money from the 6th grade wing at middle school.remember folks who is on

the school board,uh no one with the exception of Henderson that graduated at LHS!

Project for the new GYM behind the scoreboard has been in full swing for the past couple of weeks.  Dirt work and tree removal and in general a great deal of ground work to be done.  It has started, you can't really see anything, they have barricades everywhere now.  Looking forward to the end results.

On 12/11/2019 at 10:31 AM, PackAttack said:

5df06af0e480e.image.jpg

Photo by ANDY ADAMS/Lufkin ISD

Great view of the new dirt work going on for the new multi purpose Gym.

Nice to see some pics

Honestly, it probably will not be a priority now that the football season is over. It will be repaired at some point.

5 hours ago, Pack007 said:

Are we ever going to put the title sign back up?  Get chad to do it if you can’t find anyone. Add a little flavor to it Chad! 

I am very talented. Will probably just wait so i can do 2001,2020 at the same time

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 11:38 PM, Lost Panther said:

Its very embarrassing,now they spend 1 million on cyber technology.guess we can get the money from the 6th grade wing at middle school.remember folks who is on

the school board,uh no one with the exception of Henderson that graduated at LHS!

If I am not mistaken Andra Self also graduated from LHS!

1 hour ago, Hitman2 said:

If I am not mistaken Andra Self also graduated from LHS!

So is Kristi Gay.  There are 3 LHS graduates on our school board.  Hall Henderson and Andra Self.  Don Muhlbach has been here for 34 years, his son Don Jr.  played for the Pack in 1998 and is still with the Detroit Lions. So 4 of the 7 have been in Lufkin a very long time.

The weather has slowed down the construction a bit.  Dirt work and foundation preparations are still in progress.  New driveway has been poured and completed on the east side of the project or soccer field side.    At some point this new driveway will be extended and connect with the old Junior High East Road that exits on Farm Road 841.  I went to a soccer game and walked over close to the construction and there has been a lot of work done.  The Multi Purpose Gym and offices project is going to be a huge complex.  Can't wait to see the metal supports and walls going up in the next few weeks.

Check out the Aerial view.  You can see where a baseball field was previously in use at some point in the past and is generally where the new Baseball field  will be located.

FX42DDAJ6ZC7JI3QO3FOJP7KXM.jpg

56ad27fce8528.image.jpg