Sign in to follow this  
PackAttack

Lufkin Lady Pack Softball PLAYOFFS PLAYOFFS 2018

Lufkin's  approach to Coppell.

The Lady Pack will play under different circumstances. Coach Shelby Elkins proposed to Coppell a one game round and got her way. There is no room for error if they want to move on.

"We are a better fast speed hitting team where it is going to throw Coppell off because they haven't faced anyone yet like Smiley Radke," Elkins said. "I wanted the one game series. In district the first time through we went undefeated. The second time through, we lost two games. Teams were able to prepare for Smiley and with her being our go to I did not want Coppell to get that chance. We are the better team. I believe we have this game."

Db5GMU7VQAENe-y.jpg

LUFKIN LADY PACK ( 20-5-1 ) VS cOPPELL COWGIRLS ( 24- 4 ), 8 PM, FRIDAY NIGHT @ WHITEHOUSE HIGH SCHOOL IN A ONE GAME PLAYOFF.

Hope Lufkin has a good fan turnout tonight. This is a fun bunch to watch play. Much more entertaining than watching baseball.

Well, we will see how we do tonight. Smiley Radke quit the team today. Don't know the circumstances This leaves our Lufkin team in a tough situation hopefully Lexi Ramirez can come through tonight. In my experience , no one individual is bigger than the team.

The Lufkin girls softball team loses 2 -1 to Coppell tonight to bow out of the playoffs. Lexi Ramirez did a great job on the mound for the Panthers tonight and the lady pack defense was splendid however the bats just couldn't put the hits together at the right time. Great season I loved watching you girls play

One of the Coppell fans came up to me after the game and said I guess you respect us now. I was taken back a little bit and said we respect all opponents. He said we're glad we beat you because you didn't give us any respect. Your coach talked all week about how we played in an inferior district and that you guys were better than us and that she thought Lufkin had the game in the bag. She bragged all week about it and that was our motivation tonight to beat you, so you show us some respect. He continued to say that it was punk ass sorry for us to be that way. Told him that wasn't the way our girls were and not to think that about me either. Tried to change the direction of the conversation, remember?,  he came up to me, but I said they would play Oak Ridge next week and they should give them a good run, his reply was we played them last year and beat him so I don't see a problem. He continued, the main thing is we beat you and that is all that matters right now. Told him that Coppell had a really good pitcher and his team played a really good game and I wished him the best of luck to absolutely no avail. Hope the guy got it all out of his system. To be honest, I did read that statement in the Lufkin paper and  thought that was really not something that should be put out there that might motivate your opponent. Anyway, it was a great year by the Lady Pack I'm really proud of them, they went a long way, it was unfortunate that Miss Smiley decided to walk out on her team tonight,  however it really didn't matter, because Lexi Ramirez did such a great job pitching, we really didn't need Radke. Wishing the best to all the seniors and looking forward to another good run next year. Thanks

In a clash of 6A titans, the Coppell Cowgirls struck for two early runs and Nora Rodriguez made sure those held up as the Lufkin Lady Panthers saw their season end in 2-1 fashion in a winner-take-all Class 6A Region III Area playoff game in Whitehouse Friday night.

After the game started an hour behind schedule, Lufkin struggled to find its footing in the early going as the Cowgirls struck for two runs in the top of the first inning.

That was enough for Rodriguez, who brought a shutout into the seventh inning before securing the win. For the game, she allowed one earned run on three hits with seven strikeouts.

In a rare pitching outing, Lexy Ramirez held her own by shaking off a slow start to pitch a complete game for the Lady Pack. She allowed two runs on two hits and two walks in the opening frame before settling down. Over the final six innings, she allowed one hit on two walks with three strikeouts.

In the first inning, Katelyn O’Quinn walked before Logan Kegley delivered a two-out RBI single for the game’s first run.

After another walk, Michaella Baker delivered an RBI single to left that made it 2-0.

The game stayed that way until the seventh inning as the Lady Panthers put runners on base in the third, fourth, fifth and sixth innings but couldn’t manage to come up with the key hit against Rodriguez.

The Lady Panthers finally scratched out a run in the seventh inning when Ramirez hit a leadoff triple and scored on a sacrifice fly by Yami Valdez.

However, Rodriguez once again had the answer as she retired the final two batters in ending the Lady Pack’s final threat.

With the win, Coppell advances to the regional quarterfinals where it will take on Oak Ridge.

, which swept Garland Sachse in an area playoff series at a date, time and site to be determined.

Josh Havard’s email address is

jhavard@lufkindailynews.com

On 5/5/2018 at 9:36 AM, Chadalac05 said:

Hold up so radke just quit and left?

Yes. Got feeling hurt over something said and left the team Thursday or Friday before the team went to Whitehouse. Tensions had been there all year. You just can't put yourself ahead of your team. A team is like family, sometime you have disagreements but you have to endure it and move on in the best interest of your family or your TEAM in this case. No one individual is greater than the Team as a whole. The Lufkin Girls did just fine without her against Coppell. The pitching from Lexi Ramirez was excellent, Lufkin defense was excellent and Lufkin hit the ball but the Coppell defense made some outstanding plays on several hard hits by Lufkin. Yes, Lufkin lost but it wasn't because of the pitching. So whatever happens in the offseason this Lufkin team will be just fine next year. Was most proud to be a Lufkin Panther fan last night, even in defeat. Just to see all the girls come together as one and give it their all. They were a class act all the way around.

You can't hold a ultimatum over a team or a coach.  Acting like, you better treat me the way I want or HEY, there are other teams out there and I may go there.  All Players must adhere to the same rules as every other person on your team, all are equal, there is no "I" in TEAM. If you are told to get off your cell phone during practice, then maybe you should, especially when the others are following the rules.  You refuse to run laps when told, no way !!  because I am a special person and your nothing without me.  Burn enough bridges and you end up with no where to go.  They will find there are other players out there just as good or better than them,  believe it or not.

On 5/5/2018 at 3:28 PM, PackAttack said:

You can't hold a ultimatum over a team or a coach.  Acting like, you better treat me the way I want or HEY, there are other teams out there and I may go there.  All Players must adhere to the same rules as every other person on your team, all are equal, there is no "I" in TEAM. If you are told to get off your cell phone during practice, then maybe you should, especially when the others are following the rules.  You refuse to run laps when told, no way !!  because I am a special person and your nothing without me.  Burn enough bridges and you end up with no where to go.  They will find there are other players out there just as good or better than them,  believe it or not.

I really hope that is not why she quit. Smh

On 5/7/2018 at 11:45 AM, Chadalac05 said:

I really hope that is not why she quit. Smh

Don't know anything at all, but insider parents knew quite a bit at the ballpark Friday night and this is what was said through the stands. I don't know Smiley at all.

On 5/7/2018 at 11:54 AM, PackAttack said:

Don't know anything at all, but insider parents knew quite a bit at the ballpark Friday night and this is what was said through the stands. I don't know Smiley at all.

My parents would have chewed my backside up if i did that.

Just an update. Oak Ridge beat Coppell 2-0 in game one of their best of 3 series.

Two teams play again tomorrow.

Oak Ridge took down Coppell 12-5 Saturday afternoon at Madisonville High School to earn the two-game sweep in the Region II-6A quarterfinals.

The Lady War Eagles are set to play the Aldine McArthur Generals starting this week in the regional semifinals.

Oak Ridge had 19 hits Saturday against the Cowgirls.

they wouldnt have lost if smily was pitching. old by the way pack attack ,i was having  a bad day.the day i wouldntt talk to ypou.but i didnt like your remarks you said about me. am sorry am not perfect like some people think they are.i will shut up,because i could get in more hot water.

The Oak Ridge girls are in the 6A Semi final now. They came on strong at the end and they've had a good playoff run

On 5/30/2018 at 2:46 PM, PlumPurple said:

they wouldnt have lost if smily was pitching. old by the way pack attack ,i was having  a bad day.the day i wouldntt talk to ypou.but i didnt like your remarks you said about me. am sorry am not perfect like some people think they are.i will shut up,because i could get in more hot water.

All  I said was that you change your mind all the time over the littlest things. That you would be back at Sideliners, whatever your decision was I really didn't care because it didn't have anything to do with me. Not sure why you were so grouchy when I said hi, but I guess I got out of line after that too. No one, especially myself, thinks they're better than anybody else. I don't know where you got that idea, so please have a great day and look forward to a great Panther football season

please accept my apoligy. i was out of line. i didtnt like what was said to me at first meeting this year by ricky gay. iwill be honest, i dont like him.am going to pray about this alot. love your neighbers. i do gripe to much. thanks for your qoute.

JOSH HAVARD/The Lufkin News

In three successful seasons at Lufkin, Shelby Elkins helped lead the Lady Panthers' softball team to elite status. From leading the team to the regional finals in 2016 to competing in one of the best 6A districts in the state over the last two years, she said Lufkin has given her everything she could have asked for.

However, due to family circumstances, she announced on Thursday that she will be stepping down from her position with the Lufkin school district. Elkins will take a position as an assistant softball and volleyball coach at Abilene Cooper.

"If it was completely up to me, I'd live here all my life and retire from Lufkin High School," Elkins said. "But recently, my husband's grandpa had a massive stroke, and through a family meeting, they are handing over about 9,000 acres of land for him to oversee.

"Him being able to do something like that is a dream come true for him. When I got hired here, he picked up everything and moved here with me in three days. I told him that if an opportunity ever came along that was that much of a positive for him that I would pack up and follow him. I just didn't think that would happen so soon."

Lufkin advanced to the playoffs in each of the three seasons under Elkins. In her first year in 2016, Lufkin climbed as high as No. 4 in the state rankings before falling a single win shy of the school's first-ever trip to the state tournament. Elkins earned the district Coach of the Year honors in her first season as a head coach.

That was followed by another playoff appearance in 2017. This past season, Lufkin was in first place in District 12-6A until the final game of the regular season before settling for second place.

Third-place Oak Ridge, which Lufkin swept in the season series, eventually advanced to this week's state tournament, while district champion The Woodlands was knocked out in the regional semifinals. Lufkin dropped a heartbreaker in the area round of the playoffs.

"Going from a player to a coach, I never thought it would be possible to get into that same type of zone," Elkins said. "Now that I got to be a part of it, it was 20 times more gratifying coaching than it was as a player. To have the success we've had here has been a dream come true, which makes it that much tougher to have to go."

Elkins broke the news to her players during a meeting on Wednesday afternoon, which she said was even more difficult from a personal standpoint than as simply the coach of the team.

"That's probably the hardest thing I've done in my whole life," Elkins said. "My husband and I don't have kids, so I consider these girls to be my kids. I worry about them like a parent would. I don't just go home and not think of them."

Elkins said while the decision to leave Lufkin was a tough one, she is excited to have the opportunity to stay in the coaching field. She will be an assistant coach under Stacey Herring, who has been a head coach for 24 years.

"I'm very blessed to continue coaching because that's my passion and I believe it's what God put me here for," Elkins said. "It's going to be exciting to learn more under a coach like her, but it saddens my heart to have to leave here. I love this town, the community, the coaching staff and the parents. They're like sisters and brothers to me."

A search for her replacement is under way.