Sign in to follow this  
PackAttack

LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL 2018

By Matt Stepp - Dave Campbell Football

Recapping all the chaos for every 11-man classification following UIL realignment

(Foreword by PA:  It has been obvious in the realignment evaluation for 5A Div I,  that Lufkin has not been mentioned in any form as a contender or hardly acknowledged by Matt Stepp or others at DCTXF.  They like to talk about JT who was 5-5 last year and missed the playoffs.  Anyway, here is another example of nothing about Lufkin.)

In what may have been the wildest UIL Realignment Day ever, we are left to analyze and dissect the aftermath of the new districts that the UIL has set the course for in the next two years. We’ll have plenty to chew on the next few days (and weeks), but here are some highlights from each of the UIL’s 11-man classifications.

Class 5A Division I

The first takeaway is that overall, there were 15 schools who chose to opt up to Division I to Division II which artificially inflated the division breaks. In Region I, Abilene Cooper was a swing school that could go east into a DFW district, but the UIL decided to move them out west into District 2-6A with the Lubbock and Amarillo schools.

In Region II, Dallas ISD is going to have their hands full with Highland Park, Lancaster and the two Mansfield ISD schools in 6-5A Division I. Travel will certainly be an issue in 7-5A Division I with Texarkana Texas and Tyler John Tyler moving into a DFW district.

The most notable item in Region III has to be Austin ISD (along with Seguin and Dripping Springs) moving into Region III, where traditionally they were pushed into Region IV. In Region IV, as expected, the Rio Grande Valley got a 10-team district on 16-4A Division I. We’ll see if that district decides to move to a zone play concept or do they play straight through with just one non-district game.

WILLIS HS NEW COACH FROM LAKE TRAVIS

https://www.chron.com/sports/highschool/article/Willis-hires-Michael-Wall-as-new-head-coach-12562946.php

Lake Travis coach Hank Carter said Willis “hit a home run” .

“Mike Wall has been a huge part of our success,” Carter wrote. “He’s a dear friend and will be sorely missed. I’m excited for him in his new role, and I have no doubt that he’ll be successful. “He’s a great man of character, a caring father and a BRILLIANT OFFENSIVE MIND.”

Wall, who's record as an assistant coach is 128-17, has coached the likes of quarterbacks Garrett Gilbert, Baker Mayfield (when he was a freshman) and more recently Charlie Brewer, the co-Big 12 Freshman of the Year at Baylor. Wall, a native of Pennsylvania, has played a pivotal role for a dynastic Lake Travis program that has won six state championships and reached two other state title games since 2007. The offensive coordinator and primary play caller for the past four seasons, Wall also served as a Lake Travis position coach from 2007-09 before joining the staff at Georgetown and spending a season as a head coach at a private school in Georgia.

Since Wall assumed offensive coordinator duties, Lake Travis averaged 52, 49, 48 and 43 points, respectively. A former quarterback at Tulsa from 1996-200, Wall also played Arena League football for six years, including a stint with the Austin Wranglers.

Lots of new hires across the state the last couple of weeks. Is this a normal ritual in a realignment year? A time to clean house  start over  and try something new? I realize by looking at the list that many of the coaches aren't meeting the winning expectations of the schools and then you have assistant coaching looking for head coach jobs and Maybe other coaches retiring after many years all in the same mix. Just seems like a lot of them right now. Guess if you have a good coaching staff on hand right now might be a good time to hold on to them.

http://www.texasfootball.com/coachchanges/

Since 2004, Lufkin has never made it through a single realignment that we did not have someone new in our district. We are like a revolving door for the UIL. In 2004, they put us in with THW, Conroe and Klein schools, Then just the THW/Conroe schools with Humble Kingwood and Atascocita, then it was THW/Conroe schools and New Caney, Then it was with THW/Conroe and Magnolia, Then it was THW/Conroe with Bryan and A&M Consolidated, then to 5A with Ennis,Corsicana, Nacogdoches, JT, Lindale, Jacksonville and Whitehouse. Back to 6A with THW/Conroe again and Montgomery. We have been everywhere Man. Now, back to 5A with another whole new landscape through 2019. I guess it is what we live for these days.

On 2/12/2018 at 11:17 AM, Former Stallion said:

Are any of the schedules out for any of the schools in district for football this fall?  Only need three of them to figure out the rest.  

Have not seen a finished schedule just yet.  I am sure there are a couple out there, just have not been released.  Knowing we are going back to Longview again in non district does indicate a schedule has been made so that all the teams can hopefully have 5 home and 5 road games.  I have not seen a complete schedule yet from any of the other 8-5A teams.

On 2/2/2018 at 9:13 AM, Pack007 said:

We could actually play a team from our district in the second, third and fourth round. It won’t happen if we were able to make it that far lol, but it will still be possible. 

Just to point this out...this is incorrect. Third round is the first round you could play a district opponent.

Region II bracket will look like...
5 #1 vs 6 #4
8 #2 vs 7 #3
6 #1 vs 5 #4
7 #2 vs 8 #3

7 #1 vs 8 #4
6 #2 vs 5 #3
8 #1 vs 7 #4
5 #2 vs 6 #3

So a College Station/Lufkin game will probably decide if you see Lone Star (imo the best Frisco team) in the 2nd round followed up by Highland Park (who no doubt will get top spot in that district of theirs) in the 3rd round.

1 hour ago, LoboFan07 said:

Just to point this out...this is incorrect. Third round is the first round you could play a district opponent.

Region II bracket will look like...
5 #1 vs 6 #4
8 #2 vs 7 #3
6 #1 vs 5 #4
7 #2 vs 8 #3

7 #1 vs 8 #4
6 #2 vs 5 #3
8 #1 vs 7 #4
5 #2 vs 6 #3

So a College Station/Lufkin game will probably decide if you see Lone Star (imo the best Frisco team) in the 2nd round followed up by Highland Park (who no doubt will get top spot in that district of theirs) in the 3rd round.

You’re right. I was looking at the 3A bracket and I thought I saw two teams from the same district playing each other. It was the third round. http://www.uiltexas.org/football/playoff-brackets/3AD1

2018 Magnolia Bulldogs Football Schedule.  This is the only one I could find out there for District 8-5A. Still looks like they are needing a 3rd non district game.

8/317:00p

9/6 7:30p

9/287:30p

10/57:30p

10/127:30p

10/197:30p

10/267:30p

11/27:30p

11/97:30p

Is there a Coach Gamble coaching football at the high school?  I thought he was a hire last summer, but never saw his name listed anyway in the football programs.