PackAttack

LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL 2018

Thought it time to move on from the 2017 Panthers 11-3 season and start looking toward 2018.  It is good time for this transition with the new realignment coming this Thursday , February 1st.    Lots of promise to look forward to in 2018.   Moving to 5A Division  I and a whole new district lineup to experience.

There are 7 months before we open the season on August 31 hosting Longview..    

The UIL is no friend of Lufkin.

Lufkin should do well in this district. College Station IMO is the team that will also be strong. But with Lufkin returning some good players should be a good season. Also Lufkin has 2 players so far this year on the rivals too 100 for Texas in Garcia at 58 and the DT at 54

District 8
College Station
Conroe Caney Creek
Lufkin
Magnolia
Magnolia West
Tomball
Waller
Willis

Besides College Station  the district is weak. Just checked out all the records from last year. 

Tomball 7-3

College Station 14-2

Magnolia West 9-2

Caney Creek 2-7

Lufkin 11-3

Willis 2-7

Magnolia 5-5

Waller 1-9

last years records. 

Our first round playoff district opponent.

District 7-5A 
McKinney North 
Mesquite Poteet 
Sherman 
Texarkana Texas 
Tyler 
West Mesquite 
Wylie East

CLASS 5A Div I

So we have confirmed Longview and Nacogdoches as two of our three non district games. From what I hear, waiting on Monterrey Mexico again to see if they want to renew with us. IMO, wish we would schedule THW or West Brook instead.  Guess we play whoever is in front of us.

Still trying to get used to football having its own district and all others in  another district. So help me out here. Will the top 4 teams in our district play top 4 in 7-5A

1 v 4

2 v 3

2 hours ago, pantherproud said:

Still trying to get used to football having its own district and all others in  another district. So help me out here. Will the top 4 teams in our district play top 4 in 7-5A

1 v 4

2 v 3

Yes

By JOSH HAVARD/The Lufkin News | 

With the football team headed to the College Station area, the rest of the Lufkin athletic teams will get the chance to stay closer to home as they were placed in a district of eight East Texas teams, which was announced by the University Interscholastic League on Thursday morning.

In all other sports except for football, Lufkin will compete in District 16-5A, which also includes Hallsville, Jacksonville, Pine Tree, Marshall, Nacogdoches, John Tyler and Whitehouse.

The eight-team district allows Lufkin to compete in a closer proximity to schools that are primarily in Division II in football.

"I think that's great for us there," Lufkin athletic director Todd Quick said. "It's not just the enrollment numbers being equal, but these are the same types of kids that are dealing with the same types of things."

One major benefit of the East Texas district came in the travel aspect in which Lufkin is located within 100 miles of the other seven schools.

That is usually a primary concern for sports like volleyball, baseball, soccer and basketball where teams play twice a week, including on Tuesday nights, Quick said.

"Travel is a big part of what they look for in that realignment," Quick said. "You don't want kids getting back at 2 or 3 in the morning after a Tuesday night road trip. They look at geography for those a lot more than they do for football when we're just making Friday trips."

Lufkin will be grouped with District 15-5A for all other sports outside of football in this realignment. That district includes Greenville, Lindale, Mount Pleasant, Royse City, Sulphur Springs and Texarkana.

Quick said that while the primary focus is often on football in the state of Texas, that the realignment in the other sports could be even more important.

"It's a big day in the state of Texas," Quick said. "You usually think you're going to have an idea, but it's good to see when it becomes official."

Josh Havard's email address is jhavard@lufkindailynews.com.

By JOSH HAVARD/The Lufkin News |

When preparing for realignment in past years, Lufkin has often grown to expect the unexpected. That wasn't the case on Thursday morning, as the Panthers got one of their expected routes in the University Scholastic League's biennial realignment.

Lufkin was placed in District 8-5A DII along with College Station, Magnolia, Magnolia West, Tomball, Caney Creek, Waller and Willis.

It was one of two expected possible roads for Lufkin, which also had the shorter New Caney route as a possibility. Lufkin head coach Todd Quick said he was ready to get to work in the new district.

"That was one of the two we expected, so it's not a surprise where we went," Quick said. "They tell you where you're going to play and you just figure out how you're going to get there.

"We had to figure out how to get to Waller, but we kind of have an idea about the other schools. It's good to get it all out of the way."

The district will offer plenty of intrigue starting at the top. College Station is coming off the Class 5A Division II state championship last season.

Lufkin dropped a heartbreaking loss to Longview in the Class 6A state quarterfinals.

With those schools leading the way there will be plenty of excitement for the upcoming season.

"There's going to be some new faces and it will be a different route to and through the playoffs," Quick said. "From a competition standpoint, it looks really good. There are schools that have had success. College Station was a very good team last year. No matter where you're at, you're going to see good teams."

Lufkin could also finalize the non-district portion of its schedule. Since it is in an eight-team district, it will have three non-district competitors.

The Panthers will face Longview, Nacogdoches and Monterrey Tech in the non-district portion of the schedule.

In the first round of the playoffs, Lufkin will be matched up with District 7, which includes John Tyler, Texarkana, Sherman, McKinney North, Mesquite Poteet, West Mesquite and Wylie East.

At least the first part of Lufkin's playoff route would go through the Dallas area.

"We're in Region II and that's going to be tough like it always is," Quick said. "It doesn't matter what size the school is, you know what you're going to get."

Officials from each school in the district will meet in the upcoming days to make final plans as well as finalize schedules for the 2018 football season.

Josh Havard's email address is jhavard@lufkindailynews.com.

We opened the season at Longview last year and now Longview website is saying that we open at Longview again this year. Seems like they would play here this year and us there next year, but maybe the new alignment has changed all that so that everybody will have five home games and five Road games.

Ugh, we have a weak non-district schedule again. I’m sure we could’ve found someone other than the school from Mexico. Don’t even get me started on Nac. I like the rivalry with Lv. But I’m honestly tired of playing them and definitely tired of going up there. That’s what three times in four years? They will at least help us prepare i guess. Not sure what Nac and that other school does for us before district. Then again, we played some top schools in non-district before and lost early. Sometimes it doesn’t matter as much i guess. 

Nacs Freshman class beat the dog stuff out of Lufkin's freshmen last year. So the NAC matchup might be more competitive than we think.

Okay let's take a look at 5A Region II Division I. There are only four districts in each Region, so it seems there will be two less games to play in the playoffs to reach the state game. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Also how will they coordinate that with 6A who will still play 6 games in the playoffs ? Does that mean 6A would have their own Championship weekend? I don't see any other option unless we end up with two off weeks instead of the traditional one week. No ne  likes the off week much less two of them.  Maybe I'm looking at it wrong, but it looks like we only have to win three games to get to the state game which would be the 4th game. 

REGION II 5A DIV I

District 5 — Frisco Centennial, Frisco Heritage, Frisco Independence, Frisco Liberty, Frisco Lone Star, Frisco Wakeland, Lewisville The Colony, Little Elm.

District 6 — Dallas Adams, Dallas Highland Park, Dallas Samuell, Dallas Sunset, Dallas Wilson, Lancaster, Mansfield Legacy, Mansfield Timberview.

District 7 — McKinney North, Mesquite Poteet, Sherman, Texarkana Texas, Tyler, West Mesquite, Wylie East.

District 8 — College Station, Conroe Caney Creek, Lufkin, Magnolia, Magnolia West, Tomball, Waller, Willis.

6 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Nacs Freshman class beat the dog stuff out of Lufkin's freshmen last year. So the NAC matchup might be more competitive than we think.

True..sad but true.

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

Okay let's take a look at 5A Region II Division I. There are only four districts in each Region, so it seems there will be two less games to play in the playoffs to reach the state game. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Also how will they coordinate that with 6A who will still play 6 games in the playoffs ? Does that mean 6A would have their own Championship weekend? I don't see any other option unless we end up with two off weeks instead of the traditional one week. No ne  likes the off week much less two of them.  Maybe I'm looking at it wrong, but it looks like we only have to win three games to get to the state game which would be the 4th game. 

REGION II 5A DIV I

District 5 — Frisco Centennial, Frisco Heritage, Frisco Independence, Frisco Liberty, Frisco Lone Star, Frisco Wakeland, Lewisville The Colony, Little Elm.

District 6 — Dallas Adams, Dallas Highland Park, Dallas Samuell, Dallas Sunset, Dallas Wilson, Lancaster, Mansfield Legacy, Mansfield Timberview.

District 7 — McKinney North, Mesquite Poteet, Sherman, Texarkana Texas, Tyler, West Mesquite, Wylie East.

District 8 — College Station, Conroe Caney Creek, Lufkin, Magnolia, Magnolia West, Tomball, Waller, Willis.

No, it will still be six games from my understanding like the lower classes. 4 teams from each district making it and all will be in the same division unlike in 6A. So we could possibly play a team from our district in either the third or second round and also fourth round. I gotta check the lower classifications, but I’m pretty sure the team that wins state will still have to play and win six games. 

Yea, I just viewed a bracket from last season for 3A and 4A. We could actually play a team from our district in the second, third and fourth round. It won’t happen if we were able to make it that far lol, but it will still be possible. 

2 hours ago, Pack007 said:

Yea, I just viewed a bracket from last season for 3A and 4A. We could actually play a team from our district in the second, third and fourth round. It won’t happen if we were able to make it that far lol, but it will still be possible. 

Okay, Thanks. I was not sure how the New format worked.

On Thursday, February 01, 2018 at 9:45 AM, pack98 said:

Besides College Station  the district is weak. Just checked out all the records from last year. 

My t