PackAttack

2018 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL - GAMES, STATS & INFO

By Matt Stepp - Dave Campbell Football

Recapping all the chaos for every 11-man classification following UIL realignment

(Foreword by PA:  It has been obvious in the realignment evaluation for 5A Div I,  that Lufkin has not been mentioned in any form as a contender or hardly acknowledged by Matt Stepp or others at DCTXF.  They like to talk about JT who was 5-5 last year and missed the playoffs.  Anyway, here is another example of nothing about Lufkin.)

In what may have been the wildest UIL Realignment Day ever, we are left to analyze and dissect the aftermath of the new districts that the UIL has set the course for in the next two years. We’ll have plenty to chew on the next few days (and weeks), but here are some highlights from each of the UIL’s 11-man classifications.

Class 5A Division I

The first takeaway is that overall, there were 15 schools who chose to opt up to Division I to Division II which artificially inflated the division breaks. In Region I, Abilene Cooper was a swing school that could go east into a DFW district, but the UIL decided to move them out west into District 2-6A with the Lubbock and Amarillo schools.

In Region II, Dallas ISD is going to have their hands full with Highland Park, Lancaster and the two Mansfield ISD schools in 6-5A Division I. Travel will certainly be an issue in 7-5A Division I with Texarkana Texas and Tyler John Tyler moving into a DFW district.

The most notable item in Region III has to be Austin ISD (along with Seguin and Dripping Springs) moving into Region III, where traditionally they were pushed into Region IV. In Region IV, as expected, the Rio Grande Valley got a 10-team district on 16-4A Division I. We’ll see if that district decides to move to a zone play concept or do they play straight through with just one non-district game.

WILLIS HS NEW COACH FROM LAKE TRAVIS

https://www.chron.com/sports/highschool/article/Willis-hires-Michael-Wall-as-new-head-coach-12562946.php

Lake Travis coach Hank Carter said Willis “hit a home run” .

“Mike Wall has been a huge part of our success,” Carter wrote. “He’s a dear friend and will be sorely missed. I’m excited for him in his new role, and I have no doubt that he’ll be successful. “He’s a great man of character, a caring father and a BRILLIANT OFFENSIVE MIND.”

Wall, who's record as an assistant coach is 128-17, has coached the likes of quarterbacks Garrett Gilbert, Baker Mayfield (when he was a freshman) and more recently Charlie Brewer, the co-Big 12 Freshman of the Year at Baylor. Wall, a native of Pennsylvania, has played a pivotal role for a dynastic Lake Travis program that has won six state championships and reached two other state title games since 2007. The offensive coordinator and primary play caller for the past four seasons, Wall also served as a Lake Travis position coach from 2007-09 before joining the staff at Georgetown and spending a season as a head coach at a private school in Georgia.

Since Wall assumed offensive coordinator duties, Lake Travis averaged 52, 49, 48 and 43 points, respectively. A former quarterback at Tulsa from 1996-200, Wall also played Arena League football for six years, including a stint with the Austin Wranglers.

Lots of new hires across the state the last couple of weeks. Is this a normal ritual in a realignment year? A time to clean house  start over  and try something new? I realize by looking at the list that many of the coaches aren't meeting the winning expectations of the schools and then you have assistant coaching looking for head coach jobs and Maybe other coaches retiring after many years all in the same mix. Just seems like a lot of them right now. Guess if you have a good coaching staff on hand right now might be a good time to hold on to them.

http://www.texasfootball.com/coachchanges/

Since 2004, Lufkin has never made it through a single realignment that we did not have someone new in our district. We are like a revolving door for the UIL. In 2004, they put us in with THW, Conroe and Klein schools, Then just the THW/Conroe schools with Humble Kingwood and Atascocita, then it was THW/Conroe schools and New Caney, Then it was with THW/Conroe and Magnolia, Then it was THW/Conroe with Bryan and A&M Consolidated, then to 5A with Ennis,Corsicana, Nacogdoches, JT, Lindale, Jacksonville and Whitehouse. Back to 6A with THW/Conroe again and Montgomery. We have been everywhere Man. Now, back to 5A with another whole new landscape through 2019. I guess it is what we live for these days.

On 2/12/2018 at 11:17 AM, Former Stallion said:

Are any of the schedules out for any of the schools in district for football this fall?  Only need three of them to figure out the rest.  

Have not seen a finished schedule just yet.  I am sure there are a couple out there, just have not been released.  Knowing we are going back to Longview again in non district does indicate a schedule has been made so that all the teams can hopefully have 5 home and 5 road games.  I have not seen a complete schedule yet from any of the other 8-5A teams.

On 2/2/2018 at 9:13 AM, Pack007 said:

We could actually play a team from our district in the second, third and fourth round. It won’t happen if we were able to make it that far lol, but it will still be possible. 

Just to point this out...this is incorrect. Third round is the first round you could play a district opponent.

Region II bracket will look like...
5 #1 vs 6 #4
8 #2 vs 7 #3
6 #1 vs 5 #4
7 #2 vs 8 #3

7 #1 vs 8 #4
6 #2 vs 5 #3
8 #1 vs 7 #4
5 #2 vs 6 #3

So a College Station/Lufkin game will probably decide if you see Lone Star (imo the best Frisco team) in the 2nd round followed up by Highland Park (who no doubt will get top spot in that district of theirs) in the 3rd round.

1 hour ago, LoboFan07 said:

Just to point this out...this is incorrect. Third round is the first round you could play a district opponent.

Region II bracket will look like...
5 #1 vs 6 #4
8 #2 vs 7 #3
6 #1 vs 5 #4
7 #2 vs 8 #3

7 #1 vs 8 #4
6 #2 vs 5 #3
8 #1 vs 7 #4
5 #2 vs 6 #3

So a College Station/Lufkin game will probably decide if you see Lone Star (imo the best Frisco team) in the 2nd round followed up by Highland Park (who no doubt will get top spot in that district of theirs) in the 3rd round.

You’re right. I was looking at the 3A bracket and I thought I saw two teams from the same district playing each other. It was the third round. http://www.uiltexas.org/football/playoff-brackets/3AD1

2018 Magnolia Bulldogs Football Schedule.  This is the only one I could find out there for District 8-5A. Still looks like they are needing a 3rd non district game.

8/317:00p

9/6 7:30p

9/287:30p

10/57:30p

10/127:30p

10/197:30p

10/267:30p

11/27:30p

11/97:30p

Is there a Coach Gamble coaching football at the high school?  I thought he was a hire last summer, but never saw his name listed anywhere in the football programs.  

On 2/17/2018 at 5:16 PM, PackAttack said:

Is there a Coach Gamble coaching football at the high school?  I thought he was a hire last summer, but never saw his name listed anywhere in the football programs.  

I remember this too. Everyone i asked had no clue.

AGGIE DAY for HS Juniors

Breylon Garcia,  Kewone Thomas,  Carl Williams, Javasia Brunson, Eric McCoy , Jorvorskie Lane

DW1QJHMVoAAO5tp.jpg

DW1tqCuVMAAvkx3.jpg

DW1skQBUMAATh5d.jpg

DW1x0QmV4AAkbwH.jpg

This will be your starting front 3 on Defense in 2018. All are 6'4" or better.

Dave Campbell Texas Football Recruiting Guide 2018

Class of 2021 Jordan Moore

Have not seen or heard of this kid.

20180227_103120.jpg

20180227_103139.jpg

13 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Dave Campbell Texas Football Recruiting Guide 2018

Class of 2021 Jordan Moore

Have not seen or heard of this kid.

20180227_103120.jpg

20180227_103139.jpg

He was the fish Qb right? 

9 hours ago, Pack007 said:

He was the fish Qb right? 

Maybe??? Don't know.

JT looking to benefit here, 2020 ETX QB prospect Khalan Griffin  has left Chapel Hill and enrolled at John Tyler. He was a freshman starter at Tenaha,  transferred to Chapel Hill as a soph to be starting QB. Now, he transfers to JT to be their QB as a junior. He is super fast, another pick up by Ricklan Holmes.   Since the UIL softened their transfer rules this is going to happen more and more.

Congrats to Jacorey Adkins, A’traviaun Woods, Justin Patton, March Thomas, Zykee Allen, Carl Williams, Chase Carter for advancing to the Region 3 Division 1 Powerlifting Meet. The meet takes place this weekend at Lindale High School.

Hal Wasson, former SLC coach and a 112-25 record @ SLC  is now available for hire. Todd Dodge is in a first refusal position according to the Ft Worth Star Telegram to make a 2nd appearance as coach.  There are others listed too.

http://www.star-telegram.com/latest-news/article202296574.html

50 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Hal Wasson, former SLC coach and a 112-25 record @ SLC  is now available for hire. Todd Dodge is in a first refusal position according to the Ft Worth Star Telegram to make a 2nd appearance as coach.  There are others listed too.

http://www.star-telegram.com/latest-news/article202296574.html

Read about this a few days ago. Many are upset with the SLC AD stating this is a power trip and they are firing people strictly because they havnt won like dodge did. Its a big deal

Here are your returning Panther Starters for 2018:

Offense:

QB - Kewone Thomas  6'3"  220

WR - Ja'Lynn Polk  6'4"  190

WR/DE  - Breylon Garcia  6' 6"  215

WR - Rilee Holt  6'  180

WR - Titan Williams  - 5' 8"  165

C - Andrew Erlich 6' 3"  270

OT - Bryson Wilson - 6'2"  260

OT - Austin McKelvey  -  6'1"  260

Defense:

LB/S - DeAndre Bagley - 6'  180

S - Jerrin Thompson - 6' 1" 175

NT - Chase Carter - 6' 260

LB - Logan Harville - 6' - 215

DT - Carl Williams - 6'5"  320

DE - Ja'Vasia Brunson  - 6' 4"  275

CB - Demond McKelvey - 6'  180

LB - A' Traviaun Woods -  6' 190

LB- Christian Garner - 5' 10"  190

KIcker - Leo Acevedo

We have no returning RBs, but they had Adam Holden 5'10" 180  listed on the roster, he will be a senior in 2018.  I know the JV had some good RB and Tre Odom could be a possibility there or as a safety.  We have a deep secondary , so Odom with his speed would be a good try at RB. There is some very good talent on the JV that will more than fill the gaps on the Panther offense and defense for 2018.   There were 6 sophomores on the Varsity in 2017 that would have helped the JV be better, but they helped the Varsity go 11-3.  What sub Varsity does is not always that important to results on Varsity year in and year out. Find us 2 or 3 good RBs and this team is set for 2018.

Congrats to March Thomas and Carl Williams for qualifying for state powerlifting meet in Abilene. Way to represent the “L”. Congrats to all the Regional Qualifiers!

DXY_2fNVwAADVfA.jpg

20 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Here are your returning Panther Starters for 2018:

Offense:

QB - Kewone Thomas  6'3"  220

WR - Ja'Lynn Polk  6'4"  190

WR/DE  - Breylon Garcia  6' 6"  215

WR - Rilee Holt  6'  180

WR - Titan Williams  - 5' 8"  165

C - Andrew Erlich 6' 3"  270

OT - Bryson Wilson - 6'2"  260

OT - Austin McKelvey  -  6'1"  260

Defense:

LB/S - DeAndre Bagley - 6'  180

S - Jerrin Thompson - 6' 1" 175

NT - Chase Carter - 6' 260

LB - Logan Harville - 6' - 215

DT - Carl Williams - 6'5"  320

DE - Ja'Vasia Brunson  - 6' 4"  275

CB - Demond McKelvey - 6'  180

LB - A' Traviaun Woods -  6' 190

LB- Christian Garner - 5' 10"  190

KIcker - Leo Acevedo

We have no returning RBs, but they had Adam Holden 5'10" 180  listed on the roster, he will be a senior in 2018.  I know the JV had some good RB and Tre Odom could be a possibility there or as a safety.  We have a deep secondary , so Odom with his speed would be a good try at RB. There is some very good talent on the JV that will more than fill the gaps on the Panther offense and defense for 2018.   There were 6 sophomores on the Varsity in 2017 that would have helped the JV be better, but they helped the Varsity go 11-3.  What sub Varsity does is not always that important to results on Varsity year in and year out. Find us 2 or 3 good RBs and this team is set for 2018.

I think this is going to be a very talented team. They have great opportunity to go deep in the playoffs! The JV team has a ton of talent also, the 2018 squad will have lots of depth.

If we had a few players like Phillips, Davis and Jackson returning, then i would feel better about things. I think we’ll still have a good season. But i honestly feel like we would’ve been a top five team in 5A next season with those guys back and Savon too. Not sure what to expect from this team. Garcia coming back from surgery. Hopefully Thomas continues to improve at the Qb position. A few new guys on the o-line. Defense should be good again with the guys that we have returning, but just don’t know. Coaching is....yea. It was solid at times last season and then bad other times. We’ll see. I’m looking forward to it though..