Pool D

Tyler John Tyler

Kaufman

Marshall

Longview Pine Tree

State Qualifying Round

Pool A Winner vs. Pool B Winner 12:45pm

Pool C Winner vs. Pool D Winner 12:45pm

The last time we played against the lobos up there it got a little heated lol. I’m expecting something similar after what occurred in December at SFA. I know it’s just 7 on 7, but hoping we’ll have everyone this week. Not sure if I’m going like i did last year though, since it’s Father’s Day weekend. 

11 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

The last time we played against the lobos up there it got a little heated lol. I’m expecting something similar after what occurred in December at SFA. I know it’s just 7 on 7, but hoping we’ll have everyone this week. Not sure if I’m going like i did last year though, since it’s Father’s Day weekend. 

Hoping to go early Saturday.  Fathers Day does not affect me since my Dad is gone and my son is working in the Ukraine until December.   Just something to do for me.

By JOSH HAVARD/The Lufkin News

After just missing out on qualifying for the state tournament in each of the past two weekends, the Lufkin Panthers 7-on-7 team will get another shot when they travel to Tyler on Saturday morning.

Lufkin will be among 16 teams competing for two spots at the 7-on-7 state qualifier in Tyler starting at 9 a.m. Saturday.

The Panthers are competing in Pool C along with Longview, Sulphur Springs and Jacksonville.

The winner of that pool will advance to take on the Pool D winner in a bracket that features John Tyler, Marshall, Pine Tree and Kaufman.

The winner of that 12:45 p.m. game will advance to the state tournament in College Station.

Lufkin will start the day with a 9 a.m. game against Sulphur Springs before taking on Jacksonville at 10. The Panthers close out pool play with an 11 a.m. game against Longview.

Teams competing in Pool A at the tournament are Forney, Lindale, College Station and Tyler Lee. College Station has already qualified for a spot at state, meaning the second-place team would advance if College Station wins the pool.

Teams competing in Pool B are Greenville, Huntsville, Texarkana and Whitehouse. The winner of Pool A will take on the winner of Pool B in a game also set for 12:45 p.m.

This past Friday, Lufkin just missed out on a spot in the state tournament as it dropped a 39-32 decision to New Caney before bouncing back with a 38-26 victory over Crosby and a 42-20 win over Shoemaker. New Caney won the pool with Lufkin finishing in second place.

The previous week, Lufkin also finished in second place in pool play at The Woodlands after wins over Cy Creek (39-14) and Klein (24-19) before a loss to Klein Collins (34-27).

The 7-on-7 Division I state tournament will be June 29-30 at College Station.

Josh Havard’s email address is jhavard@lufkindailynews.com.

I hope Lufkin fairs well this Sat. I went too a 7 on 7 a few years ago, will never go to one again....not a big fan on it after watching the action. Looks a lot like the sandlot that we use too play,without the turf.

50 minutes ago, Packfan49 said:

I hope Lufkin fairs well this Sat. I went too a 7 on 7 a few years ago, will never go to one again....not a big fan on it after watching the action. Looks a lot like the sandlot that we use too play,without the turf.

Well, that is exactly what 7 on 7 is, nothing more or less.  You are correct. It is not a fan sports for many reasons. The game of touch football with 20 players doesn't hold much water compared to how well the Panthers will do with a full compliment of team players in September,  when the helmets and pads are on, with blocking and tackling involved . The the real game of football.   We are now only 2 months away from the start of real football workouts for the 2018 season.    Looking forward to the season.

As we look ahead to the 2018 Texas high school football season, DCTF High School Football Insider Matt Stepp takes a look at how each region should shake out when fall rolls around.

Today’s spotlight: Class 5A Division I Region II

Changes abound in Region II and it starts with back-to-back state champion Highland Park, whose legendary head coach Randy Allen retired and then un-retired, but will still be working with a ton of new faces after graduating the majority of the core that won those titles. Allen will certainly have his hands full in the new realignment. The Scots have to contend with powerful Lancaster and Mansfield Legacy in district play. The other big news in Region II is in 8-5A Division I where defending Division II state champion College Station is joined by 6A drop down Lufkin to make up a powerful group of teams along with Magnolia, Magnolia West and up and comer Tomball. District 7-5A Division I looks to be outstanding as well as 6A drop down Tyler John Tyler and 5A Texarkana Texas High make up the East Texas contingent in a far flung alignment that includes schools from Mesquite ISD, Wylie, McKinney and Sherman.

Highland Park

There will be a lot of change for the Scots in 2018. Gone is a stellar senior class. How smooth the transition goes will certainly go a long way in determining the Scots fate in 2018. New QB Chandler Morris will have some playmakers to work with led by WR Finn Corwin (746 receiving, 11 TDs) and RB Benner Page, but there could be a few growing pains early. The Scots’ defense looks equipped to carry the load with the return of DE’s Prince Dorbah (63 tackles, 11 sacks) and Jack Jurgevon (67 tackles) and DB Hudson Clark (2 INTs).

Mansfield Legacy

The Broncos had sensational back-to-back seasons, advancing to the regional finals in 2016 and the state semi-finals in 2017 and they could be poised to contend for their first state title in school history this year. Two-way star Jalen Catalon, who is a two-time all-state performer is back to lead the way. The rising senior accounted for 2,134 yards of offense, 28 touchdowns, 93 tackles on defense and two interceptions. He’ll need to stay healthy for the Broncos to be a title contender, but he’ll also need some other weapons to rise to the forefront. WR Ife Afdeyi (7 TD receptions) started to emerge late in the year and should be a major force. If the Broncos can find a feature running back they could be real dangerous because that defense led by Catalon, Taurean Carter and Jayden Ishmael should be outstanding.

Lufkin

The Panthers rolled to an impressive 11-3 mark a year ago in Class 6A and there is excitement abound for this year as six starters return on both sides of the ball for a team that’s dropping down to 5A Division I. QB Kewone Thomas and WR JaLynn Polk put up some major numbers last year and they could really light the scoreboard up in 2018. The Panthers will be solid up front and if they can replace a 2,000-yard rusher they could really be scary on offense. The defense is led by one of the state’s most dominant defensive lineman in Carl Williams and a speedy group of linebackers and defensive backs. Last year’s big playoff run in 6A gives this time plenty of confidence and experience as they try to make a title push.

College Station

The Cougars broke through a year ago upsetting Aledo and winning the Class 5A Division II state title and now will have the target squarely on their backs in 2018. The Cougars suffered some heavy graduation losses and have to rebuild the offense from the ground up as nearly every key offensive skill player has graduated. RB Spencer Maxwell showed flashes in a backup role last year and could emerge as the lead back to replace Dada Anderson, but the big question mark is who replaces the production of do-it-all QB Marquez Perez. The defense returns some experience in the secondary as three starters return led by first-team all-district pick Brandon Joseph. The Cougars showed the ability to reload over this tremendous run the past four seasons and with the growth in College Station numbers in the program are as high as ever.

https://www.cbs19.tv/article/news/local/uil-proposes-train-horn-ban-at-texas-football-games/501-564165755

UIL proposes to ban Train Horns at all high school football games. Proposal has been sent to the medical Advisory board for evaluation.

From a personal note I think it is a good call because the last few years they've got those things louder and louder trying to outdo each other. It bothers my ears and gives me a headache if they use it too much. Don't know if it's because of the horn sound or our opponents are scoring more than I would like them to be doing. LOL

The Lufkin Sideliners’ Booster Club, has a meeting scheduled forTuesday, June 19th, beginning at 5:30PM at the Lufkin High School Campus, Elmer Redd Athletic Department in Room E-108   Coach Quick and the Club will be discussing plans in preparation for the upcoming 2018-19 year.  All are invited. Thank you.  

Matt Stepp from Dave Campbell Texas Football has made his picks for the Tyler SQT 7 on 7.

Tyler SQT

Pool A Winner: Tyler Lee

Pool B Winner: Texarkana Texas

Pool C Winner: Longview

Pool D Winner: Tyler John Tyler

State Qualifiers: Texarkana Texas, Longview

To me and maybe the coaches too, it doesn't seem all that important to go to the State 7 on 7 Tourney.  I mean, what do they make it or not after this weekend they'll still have 3 tournament under their belt and at least nine games against quality opponents. We start fall workouts a little less than 2 months from now. we're not even playing seven-on-seven with our best wide receiver. It's just good workout and I think everybody's ready just to put it together play some real football when it really counts later on down the road. I know the kids want to go and if they get there that's great and I sure will try to go watch them. 

Hope someone will be going to Tyler tomorrow and maybe post the scores here.  Thanks

About to watch Lufkin play Sulphur Springs in the first game of the Tyler 707 tournament

Lufkin beats Longview 46-32  ..  Our D played lights out and the O was unstoppable today against Longview.  LOL

Lufkin loses to Kaufman 34 to 33 in overtime. they miss out on the state tournament

Thought Lufkin played well today. There were moments when they didn't have it together but for the most part the 7 on 7 season was a positive one. 

When you think that we played without our best wide receiver Polk, all 7 on 7 season and without another starting WR today Agnew after he had a possible concussion in the 1st game against Sulphur Springs. Fields and Williams were the only starting WR playing the last three games.  We have so many who can play WR on this team.  We have a strong group of skilled players.

Our secondary and LB are solid and will tough to beat in the fall.

The downside, if you can call it one, is our guys need to stop squabbling among themselves so much, just need to play ball.

https://texas7on7.org/uploads/2/2/0/3/22033422/official7-on-7rules.pdf

Now that 7 on 7 is over, I have posted the rules of 7 on 7.   Rule # 1 - School coaches can not be involved. For example, the Jacksonville coaches were yelling out play numbers from their tent area next to the field and made a special halftime visit with the team.  Longview chucked at the LOS all day ( against the rules)  it was never called and I think it actually helped our WR get open for big catches. Also, John King and a couple other coaches made special trips to talk to their team at halftime.  So,  the 7 on 7 rules are a little loose especially in local SQT play.  I guarantee it is by the book when you get to College Station.  They don't play there, but then again we don't have that worry about  this year.  The Panther coaches just sat there off in a corner minding their own business . Coach Quick came over one time against SS to check on Agnew who had hit his head on the ground during a play and has a possible concussion.   He also thanked a SS lady,  who was there to watch her boy play ( I think she was a nurse),  for trying to help Agnew on the sidelines. Otherwise the Lufkin coaches sat there and watched,  like they are suppose to do.

On another note. Lufkin had only a hand full of fans at best and no media or newspaper reporting.  Longview had reporters and a couple camera guys taking media and photos and had a decent contingent of fan following, which is great fan support..   Longview even in defeat to Lufkin, thought they had advanced to the semi round based on total points scored between the three teams, but is was done by some point differential formula between Longview, Jacksonville and Lufkin, who were all 2-1 in pool play and that put Lufkin in to the next round.  Longview thought they were in but claimed the rules were changed.    I know nothing,   7 on 7 is confusing enough just to keep up with the scoring for me. If I have done that, it's a good day.

Kaufman was a good team but we just did not play to the same level after beating Longview and there was too much team squabbling going on when things were not going as planned.  It took overtime for Kaufman to win but it really should not have been, we just did not play well enough to win.  Kaufman has a very good QB Trey Collier, who could really put the ball where it needs to be with lots of authority. Best QB I saw all day Saturday IMO.  At least against us.

Lufkin is going to be fine when the season begins.  Going to say this once and only once for the rest of the year.  Anything else will be left to your judgment later on. Our defense will carry the 2018 Panthers early on and hopefully give our offense time to jell and come together.  This team has plenty of talent at WR, plenty.  IMO, the running game will be just fine too.. Thankfully,  Kewone Thomas will not have to deal with a 4 second clock in real football as in 7 on 7 and be able to run the ball a little bit.  How well he Manages this years offense will determine how far we go.  Not sure how 7 on 7 figures into results, but Thomas  threw a about 10 interceptions in 7 on 7,   3 or 4 were pick 6s,   where the defense just read what he was doing or he was rushed by the clock into a bad throw.  Other times he made throws that made him look like Dak Prescott.   Inconsistent., then again I saw that with King of Longview too.  He is lucky to have Kamden Perry , the aka Vacuum Cleaner at WR this year.  He catches everything he touches, everything.   So, guess it's not uncommon with HS QBs.   Want to see more of that Dak side of Thomas at QB than that INT side.     Can't wait to see Jordan Moore play QB for the JV.  He showed his future potential with the number of snaps he had in  THW 7 on 7 tournament.  

About 75 days or so till we start in Longview.