Sign in to follow this  
PackAttack

Proposition A BOND - Vote "FOR" May 5th, 2018.

Get Out and VOTE on Saturday , MAY 5TH, 2018 "FOR" PROPOSITION A to allow bond money to build Lufkin a new updated modern Middle School Campus.

This is for the future success of our children.

I think there would be at least 758 people who would say the vote wasn’t unanimous.  Will Be good for the kids of Lufkin in the long run. Now time to get the teachers some support in the state legislature which sadly to say is not coming from the Republicans in position now. 

Hopefully by this summer or early fall there will be some type of construction started. If they've already done the preliminary engineering for what they want to accomplish , if not it may be next year before they do anything. Pretty sure the middle school will be the first priority.

Pack attack you were wrong. I was not allowed to vote on proposition A and yet my taxes will go up. I own a rent house in lufkin isd and prop A will increase my taxes by $400 a year. So I like I said taxation without representation. I pay extra taxes do to this and I get no representation. Plus I'm not allowed to vote on my taxes going up.

I should be exempt from the tax increase since I was not allowed to vote and do not have a child that gets a education from lufkin isd. I recently moved to another school district and own 2 houses. The house in lufkin isd was rented however I was not making money so I'm trying to sell it now. I pay property taxes of course at both locations but can only vote in the district i live in. my taxes are going up $400 a year due to this. Why was the voting held at lufkin ISD anyways? Is this not a conflict of interest? That would be like Donald trump holding elections at trump tower.

Steve-O, I was not wrong, your initial statement was that you did not live in the Lufkin ISD district. You never said anything about owning a home in the Lufkin ISD district. If your primary residence is not in the Lufkin ISD district and you can not vote, but since you own property in the Lufkin ISD district, then yes, that property will be taxed. You can explain your situation to the tax board and tell them you don't have a primary residence in the Lufkin ISD and they may give you an exemption. They held the vote at the administration building and at the elementary schools because they were voting on Proposition A and voting for school board members. It is not a conflict of interest. Great news, if you sell your house in the next few months,  you don't pay the extra tax, so get on with it and get that house sold. Onward and upward.

I pay Angelina College tax, but have no children there. We also pay Angelina County tax that helps people in Huntington, Hudson, Diboll and Central,  where we do not live. Do we gripe, no because we understand how things get done for the benefit of all around us. I don't mind at all, very thankful I live in a state call Texas but I don't have to pay state tax. Or living in a state like California or New York where we would be taxed out our rear ends for everything. Live overseas in Europe and they take 70% of your pay to run their social governments. We have it the best of most areas not only in this country but in the world. So if it's going to cost me an extra 35 bucks a month to make improvements at the middle school and the district in general, then I don't mind cutting out one meal a month with my wife to help this progress happen.  Everyone must sacrifice something and carry their load in order to have advancement anywhere, we all can't have entitlements and get things for nothing and play nothing into the system. Nope, it's people like me that have been paying my taxes in for 48 years to pay for it all.

On 5/8/2018 at 12:32 PM, Stevo said:

I should be exempt from the tax increase since I was not allowed to vote and do not have a child that gets a education from lufkin isd. I recently moved to another school district and own 2 houses. The house in lufkin isd was rented however I was not making money so I'm trying to sell it now. I pay property taxes of course at both locations but can only vote in the district i live in. my taxes are going up $400 a year due to this. Why was the voting held at lufkin ISD anyways? Is this not a conflict of interest? That would be like Donald trump holding elections at trump tower.

A few things 

1) why not instead of posting here contact the proper tax officials to see if exemptions are possible? (Which should have been done well before now btw)

2) its ok to make money by owning property in a district you dont live in but its immoral for them to tax you accordingly? Its for the betterment of the community which you happen to own property in. 

3) i dont have children that go to lufkin either but i live in the district so tough titty. This is not something that is unique to the lufkin area.

4) saying that holding elections at multiple schools and the administrative building being a conflict of interest is kind of ironic considering you rent to people in the school district with kids in school (who cant vote) yet think you should be excluded because you dont live here or have kids in school. Wouldnt it also have been a conflict of interest to allow you to vote as well? It seems conflict of interest really means i dont like the outcome therefore outrage. 

Good luck selling the rent house. Hope you get what you want and more.

A few more things

1. I have contacted tax officials and state Representative trent ashbys office and according to them there are no exemptions. I would have done this before hand but who new that I wouldn't be able to vote on this. 

2. I actually lost $318 renting the property over a year period  due to damages. As a citizen and tax payer of the "community" shouldn't i be able to give my 2 cents or should I just give my money away without representation? $400 a year is not pocket change at least not for me. My wife and I are actually trying to have a child and due to cancer she needs fertility treatment. Clomid is not a cheap pill it's approx. $300 a pill so maybe you can understand why I'm not happy about this.

3. I understand this is something not unique to lufkin this is a state wide problem from a convoluted system of taxation. 

4. I did not rent to people with children in the school district. How is it a conflict of interest for me to vote? This is my house and land that I paid dearly for making  $12hr. I pay my taxes and contribute to society unlike others. The tax office just makes up numbers on property values and if you don't pay then you lose the property. It's not right and needs to be changed. Income should be taxed not your personal assets that have been paid for. I feel like we rent our property from the county and it's not right. If you tax the income then everyone pays. Just my 2 cents.

Tough titty if you don't like or agree with my opinion. Im in part paying for this new school, baseball field and whatever else the  $75,000,000 bond buys. I know I didn't touch all your points but I have to get back to work I have taxes to pay.