Sign in to follow this  
PackAttack

Proposition A BOND - Vote "FOR" May 5th, 2018.

There has been a survey going around, some phone calls to different homes to find out the possibilities of a Bond possibilities for the Lufkin iSD.

The possible bond question concerns moving the Baseball, Softball and Basketball to the Lufkin High School campus, also included in the bond is to divide  the Lufkin Middle School,  to provide a separate 6th grade campus.  There may be some other options too, but those are the general thought options.  

What are your thoughts on this BOND possibility?

For ME, I would vote FOR this bond, this has been much needed for many years.

I vote No.  Our baseball field is as good as anyone's in the district although the bathrooms do need to be updated. The softball field is new already. Basketball has empty seats. The middle school is run with precision and unless we get an influx of new students, new school not needed. 

6 hours ago, mr. b said:

I vote No.  Our baseball field is as good as anyone's in the district although the bathrooms do need to be updated. The softball field is new already. Basketball has empty seats. The middle school is run with precision and unless we get an influx of new students, new school not needed. 

There is a huge benefit to having all sports complexes on one campus. There is a definite need to separate our 6th graders, helping them to make that transition, plus there needs to be a separation from the older students at that age.  I have always wanted all HS sports on one campus and that was also an unfinished  vision of John Outlaw.  I am all FOR paying an extra $30 a year to have this happen.

I would support the "extra $30/year" to make our educators salaries at a premium as compared to the educators in our district and surrounding cities.  It is sad we continually lose our best teachers/staff because someone down the road pays 10k more a year. Then that position is filled with a less qualified person and our students suffer. This problem seems to me to be of more importance than an unneeded sports facility or 6th grade campus. 

Lufkin ISD Board of Trustees presented with bond survey results

By PAM STOKES/The Lufkin News

Results from a 2017 Lufkin ISD Bond Awareness Survey were presented to the school trustees Thursday.

Raymond Turco from Turco & Associates presented the survey findings. His report indicated the public would likely support a bond to address the facilities at Lufkin Middle School and consolidate athletic facilities at Lufkin High School, said Sheila Adams, LISD executive director of communications and public relations.

The survey showed 73 percent of voters were satisfied with quality of public schools and 45 percent believed that quality in school district had improved during community tenure.

Respondents prioritized campus safety and security and making effective use of current facilities as most important issues to address. Staff retention and current technology were also prominent issues, according to the survey.

Conclusions gathered from the survey also revealed the bond package dollar threshold was in the $50 million to $70 million range; the threshold was higher among LISD parents and younger respondents. Fifty-nine percent also would support a bond at $21 per month.

Respondents were most positive about construction of a centralized building and library/media center renovation.

In post-test, support for $50 million bond item for a new Lufkin Middle School was 79 percent favorable, 19 percent unfavorable. Support for athletic improvements was 64 percent favorable and 34 percent unfavorable.

John Manual, employed with Linebarger, Goggan, Blair & Sampson, gave the tax collection report and said they were in the second year of the e-filing program.

Dr. Robert Kistler presented Vickie Evans, Education Foundation executive director, a check for $1,860 as a donation from flu vaccines given to Lufkin ISD employees. This is the third year for Kistler to present a donation to the Education Foundation.

Dunbar Primary teacher Sarah Dixon was honored for becoming a National Board Certified Teacher. There are 112,695 nationwide, 873 being from Texas.

Lufkin ISD received an unmodified opinion from Alexander Lankford & Hiers Inc. for the fiscal year ending Aug. 31, 2017.

“An unmodified opinion, the best opinion that can be given, states that the district is in accordance with applicable financial reporting framework, according to LISD CFO Charlotte Bynum.

Trustees also approved building controls for the libraries at Coston, Brookhollow and Slack; HVAC rooftop units at Brookhollow school; HVAC controls for Lufkin High School W section; and HVAC update/improvements. The board also discussed and approved the following agenda items; adopting a resolution authorizing the proposed early resignation notice incentive pay plan for the 2017-18 school year; the 2017-18 LISD improvement plan; and the 2018-19 LISD type D academic calendar.

Pam Stokes’ email address is pstokes@lufkindailynews.com.

My wife is a teacher, so seeing what they have to deal with year in and year out for what they earn. I would only vote for the bond if it would include prioritizing our teachers and giving them a much needed raise. Id love to have nice new facilities and for them to be on campus, but i couldnt vote yes knowing our teachers are getting pushed even further to the end of the line.

On 1/24/2018 at 6:51 PM, Chadalac05 said:

My wife is a teacher, so seeing what they have to deal with year in and year out for what they earn. I would only vote for the bond if it would include prioritizing our teachers and giving them a much needed raise. Id love to have nice new facilities and for them to be on campus, but i couldnt vote yes knowing our teachers are getting pushed even further to the end of the line.

My Mother was a teacher for over 30 years, so definitely agree.

Lufkin ISD calling for $75 million bond election

By STEVE KNIGHT/The Lufkin News

Voters residing in Lufkin ISD will get their say on May 5 on a proposed $75 million bond package that, if approved, would provide funds to construct and renovate the middle school campus and consolidate athletic facilities at the high school.

Lufkin ISD trustees approved the proposal during their board meeting on Tuesday.

“Most of the bond money will be used at the middle school,” said Scott Skelton, president of the Lufkin ISD Board of Trustees. “The rest will provide for a competition gym at the high school. As you know, we don’t have a competition gym at the high school and (the students) have to travel to the middle school. Once that is built, the middle school will have their own gym. The rest of the gymnasiums at the middle school will be demolished, and we will rebuild an entire middle school.”

Proposed projects at the middle school site include creating a sixth-grade leadership academy, centralizing the campus under one roof, updating the library and media center, addressing the size and functionality of the cafeteria, addressing heating and air conditioning issues and providing access to a new physical education gym and the existing competition gym.

Proposed projects on the high school campus would include building a multi-purpose gym, constructing an on-site girls’ softball field and boys’ baseball field and providing an enclosed venue that could accommodate all high school students.

Building the athletic facilities on the high school campus would eliminate student travel to the middle school, where the competition gym is located, and to Morris Frank Park, the location of the softball and baseball fields.

Significant facility issues exist on the middle school campus, Skelton said, which was built as the new high school in 1955.

“It’s been a wonderful building, but it’s in need of being renewed and, in fact, torn down and rebuilt,” he said. “It’s not feasible to continued maintaining something that’s 60 years old. We’ll sell (the bond proposal to voters) based on need. We’ll sell it based on the fact that it would be good for every child in this district. Every child goes through that middle school. We’ll sell it that it is helpful to the community.”

Because of the open-campus concept with different buildings, students are forced to deal with weather conditions when going from class to class.

Preliminary costs include around $50 million for the middle school construction and renovations, $3 million for the baseball and softball facilities and $9 million to $10 million for a competition gym at the high school.

Those figures are still preliminary and fluid, according to school administrators.

The bond money would not be used for operating expenses such as salaries, electricity and supplies.

“In order to attract business and industry, they want to see nice viable schools,” Skelton said. “Our middle school needs to be a centerpiece of that.”

According to a previous Lufkin News story and school district information, the last school bond, passed in 2007, provided $49.5 million in funds to renovate existing primary and elementary campuses to ensure safety and security. Vestibules and enclosed wings were added to all campuses and Burley Primary was constructed. A portion of the bond funds were used to add a math and science wing at the middle school.

A $27 million bond in 1995 made way for constructing a new high school building on the loop encompassing the existing Junior High East building. Two million dollars was allotted in the bond to convert the existing high school to a sixth- through eighth-grade campus. The district continued to use the stadium built in 1972 on the Junior High East campus as the high school stadium.

The current tax rate is $1.213 per $100 valuation. Broken up into two components, the maintenance and operations rate, used to conduct everyday business like paying for salaries and utilities, is $1.17, and the interest and sinking rate, which pays off debt incurred by the district, is 4.3 cents.

Assuming the $75 million bond passes, the interest and sinking rate would rise 28.05 cents to a total of 32.35 cents, bringing the total tax rate to $1.4935 per $100 valuation.

The potential increase in the property tax rate is affordable, Shelton said.

For an average Lufkin home with a taxable value of $125,000, the maximum tax impact is $23.37 a month.

“If it brings in new industry and business, that will actually help lower taxes,” Skelton said.

The district would pay off the bond over a 25-year period, according to Charlotte Bynum, the district’s chief financial officer, in a previous Lufkin News story.

Homeowners who are age 65 and older will not have an increased tax bill with the passage of the bond, if an age 65 freeze exemption is filed and approved.

Over the last four years, Lufkin ISD has refunded $56.6 million in bonds, saving taxpayers more than $7.1 million.

Steve Knight’s email address is sknight@lufkindailynews.com.

I will vote "YES" , I like progress and improvements.  In fact I know first hand the problems that exits in that old Middle School, EX - HS built in 1955. I graduated HS from that place. Major Mechanical  issues that are costing our district a great deal each year to just BAND AID over the many problems.

The big insurance LIABILITY cost to the school for our kids to leave the LHS campus and cross town for basketball or baseball practice, many times in their own vehicles.  Those things need to be on the HS campus. Insurance cost would go down . The MS will be totally renovated to be made safe from unauthorized outside entry, most important, will have energy efficient AC and Heating and LED lighting installed that will  save the school district a million dollars a year in operating expense..  That will lead to better school equipment and TEACHER Raises. The City of Lufkin will take over the existing baseball and softball fields at Morris Frank Park from the Lufkin ISD.  Progress is good, other schools around us have been renovating for years.  Will just give up my wife and I going out to eat one night a month and there is the $23.37 .  Easy.  Give up 4 packs of cigarettes or 3 packs of beer or 1/2 tank of gas per month. . It is covered and it goes to help the students at LISD.  All these improvements will make it more possible to give teacher pay raises and have better desk and computer equipment because the huge Maintenance operating expenses for that dinosaur of a 1955 Middle School will be cut by about 50 -60%.   District passes these savings on to teachers.

I vote yes, I have heard first hand how bad the middle school buildings are ,and I for one think that all the sports be in a  central complex .My question is where will a new school be build ,and what will become of the old middle school.I just hope that safety of the kids, teachers and staff be paramount in the plans of any new buildings 

New Middle School will be built at current MS location. Except for 3 or 4 of the newest buildings on campus, it will be torn down and all the old 1955 structuresremoved and build a complete New campus with a 6th grade Academy.

I've seen more news on the bond on this sports forum than I've seen any where else.  Seems like the school board and administration would be more vocal about the needs and not assume that they will get anything that they request.

New Middle School will be built at current MS location. Except for 3 or 4 of the newest buildings on campus, it will be torn down, all the old 1955 structures removed and build a completely New campus with a 6th grade Academy.

DYdr9MMUQAA6yYI.jpg

I vote NO. My child does not go to a lufkin school therefore my property taxes should not increase to pay for a school that does not contribute to my sons education. Take profits from ticket sales at football games do not increase my taxes. I am taxed enough, find another way to pay for this.

Haha, profits from football games at a 5a school to build a $60 million middle school.  We going to need to be playing more than 10 games a year. 

Yeah that's hilarious huh. Taxation without representation.... Why should I have to pay for a school that does not contribute to my sons education. Taxpayers in lufkin school district should be responsible for this not the entire county

Only the people living IN the Lufkin ISD school district will vote on this BOND and any tax increase will only apply to Lufkin residents that live in the Lufkin ISD.  This bond has nothing to do with the rest of Angelina County.   

This is not Taxation without representation, this is a vote by the people, either they will vote FOR or against this bond measure. If an issue is put to a vote of the people, there IS representation.

Schools everywhere in the State of Texas put forth Bond issues all the time to make improvements and make progressive charge for their school districts.  Lufkin is no different and there are much smaller districts with much less economic situations than Lufkin passing bond improvements all the time.

Thanks for the Information I was not aware of this. I received a phone call from the school district asking my opinion on the bond even though I do not live within the school district. If this is true and my taxes will not increase then I have no say so in this matter.

By GRACE JUAREZ/The Lufkin News

Lufkin High School Principal Kurt Stephens and Athletic Director Todd Quick recently addressed the need for the Lufkin ISD’s proposed $75 million bond package.

If voters approve the bond, 80 percent of it would be used to rebuild Lufkin Middle School, 13 percent would be used to build an LHS multipurpose facility, and 7 percent would be used to build LHS Athletic Fields.

Currently, the LHS basketball teams are using the Panther Gym on the LMS campus and the LHS softball and baseball teams are using fields at Morris Frank Park, as they do not have a gym or fields on campus.

“The travel on a daily basis is not the best situation for students,” Stephens said. “Once you get them to school, for safety purposes, it’s best to be able to keep them and have them with you all day long instead of daily on the road back and forth to different places.”

Stephens said the school does offer transportation through buses, but students are allowed to drive themselves to and from the fields or the gym.

Quick said between the boys and girls basketball, softball and baseball teams, around 200 students are on the road every day.

“When you think about teenagers and you think about decisions they sometimes make, and quite often, when they’re running late, the last thing I want them doing is (being) out on the road rushing to get somewhere,” Stephens said.

Currently, Stephens said there are about 2,100 students and 300 faculty/staff around campus daily, and the only place on campus equipped to hold that many people at one time is the uncovered stadium.

“It is finally a chance to have a facility where we can get the whole student body and faculty in one place,” he said. “The only place we can do that is out at the stadium, and that’s not conducive to any kind of meeting or assembly.”

Stephens said there are many factors at play that speak to the need for the new multipurpose facility.

“Beyond having the competition gym and basketball facilities here on campus, it also allows us a place to bring everyone together any time for any purpose that we need to. Even though there’s an athletic focus there, there is a need beyond just having a basketball court on campus.”

The current gyms on the high school campus are not set up for competition purposes. They are really only set up for small practices.

Any high school competitions are held at the Panther Gym on the LMS campus. That leaves LMS students without a suitable place for students to practice and compete.

The only other gym on the LMS campus is an outdated competition gym, according to LMS Principal Jesus Gomez in a previous Lufkin News report.

The two gyms on the high school campus are used by physical education classes, varsity and junior varsity drill team, varsity and JV cheerleading.

“You have both gyms filled up every day just through a normal school schedule,” Stephens said. “That’s the reason we ended up having boys and girls basketball meet over at the gym.”

Stephens also said that if the competition gym were on the high school campus, student activity would grow.

“We’ll have students that’ll be here late, whether they’re here for tutoring and they’re waiting to be picked up or they just stay for a chance to attend some things. If competitions and activities are held here on our campus, I do think it will pull a better student population to attend things,” Stephens said.

For students to have the opportunity to plug in that way, Stephens said student involvement and the culture of the school will be increased.

Quick explained that centralizing the location of the fields and gym would greatly benefit the players as well.

“Having (the gym and fields) here increases the amount of time that can be spent (in practice), and it also decreases the amount of time the kids have to stay after school because there’s not that travel,” Quick said.

He said that would lend students 30 more minutes to spend at home on homework or with family.

“(The high school) is the central location. It’s where everything should be,” Quick said.

A public forum will be held at 6 p.m. Tuesday. Lufkin ISD Superintendent LaTonya Goffney will speak about the bond proposal, and candidates for the Angelina College and Lufkin ISD Boards of Trustees and the candidates for Lufkin City Council will speak and answer questions.

Early voting begins April 23.

Grace Juarez’s email address is

gjuarez@lufkindailynews.com.

http://www.ktre.com/story/37988784/if-passed-lisd-bond-would-address-athletic-improvements-safety?utm_content=buffer2a7b7&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Lufkin ISD is hoping a $75-million bond proposal will get the green light from voters. Not only would it bring a new middle school, but new athletic facilities on the high school campus.

The bond would give 80 percent of the funding to the middle school with 13 percent going to the new multi-purpose facility at the high school and 7 percent to new baseball and softball facility.

"The multi-purpose facility would be for more than just sports," said Athletic Director Todd Quick. "We can have school assemblies and pep rallies in there. We can have a whole lot of other things besides athletics in it. We don't have a pace on campus for everyone to get together. This would give it to us."

Moving the facilities on campus would eliminate baseball, both boys and girl basketball, volleyball and softball from having to travel off campus.

"It is the scariest part of my day," said basketball coach JT McManus. "When you are standing in the gym and getting ready to go to practice or an off-season practice, and you find out one of them has been in an accident, there is not a worse feeling in the world. Luckily, in my time here, I have only had two players get into accidents but they were minor with no injuries."

Quick is always concerned for the nearly 200 students that go off campus. One of those is his own son.

"It's scary," Quick said. "As a parent, I  have one that has to do it every day and this is the third year."

Softball coach Shelby Elkins has a young team which makes travel to Morris Frank park a problem.

"We have 24 girls in our program," Elkins said. " We have six seniors and only three have cars. I have to get permission slips from parents for the kids to pack into the cars and get out here 10 minutes away from campus. It is something that you don't want to talk about, but it crosses everyone's mind. Having teenager pile into one care and travel out here."

With the plan to move the facilities on campus, the need for so many to drive eliminates what Quick calls an unnecessary risk.

"It is a lot different if we would just be able to have them leave class and walk across the campus to the fields," Quick said.

A passage of the bond would also solve the issue of the high school using Panther Gym. For 34 years, the gym has been an exciting place to watch basketball but the gym is considered outdated by today's standards.

"We are about as gym poor a district at the 5A, 6A level in the state of Texas," McManus said. "The middle school is extremely important. Anyone who has been through that facility can tell you it is much needed and necessary, but to act like we don't need a new gym is crazy."

Since the high school moved to the current location, and the old high school is now the middle school, both schools share Panther Gym. Many middle school sports and extra circular activities get limited time in the only competition gym in the district.

"If you look at Longview ISD, I think all of the middle schools have two gyms," McManus said. "This high school is not using those."

One of the safety concerns with the gym is that it shares the air conditioning with the middle school auditorium. Only one can be cooled off at a time.

"It is incredibly hot. It becomes a safety issue," McManus said. "We want to work our kids hard, but the last thing we want is our kids to go down because of heat-related issues."

The baseball and softball teams play out at the city-run Morris Frank Park.

"We are happy for the city letting us have a spot to own a field but it is not up to par for how we play" Elkins said. "A lot of people have to stand or have law chairs. We don't have a press box that sits above or stadium seating. If you didn't know, just by looking at the field it is a good field, but there are so many small issues with it."

Being on city property also brings up more issues.

"When we hosted playoff games, we could not charge a gate fee to raise money," Elkins said. "We can't do it because there are other city fields inside the gates, and they have games and tournaments going on at the same time."

Coach John Cobb said the baseball field for his boys is in good shape thanks to years of financial support from the booster club. For him, getting a new field on campus would help with study time.

"We are always going to have to travel to play ball in Lufkin," Cobb said. "It doesn't matter what district it is. Because of our far district games, we have a lot of school time to make up. We have to do it after school each day. 

"It takes 30-32 minutes to get them over here and get them dressed for practice every day," Cobb said. "They go back after school at 3:45 to make up work. That cuts a whole lot of our practice time out. If we were on campus, you are talking about it being just a fraction of that time."

Quick said the bond issue for athletics comes down to first helping the middle school and getting new facilities for the future generations.

"We have good facilities," Quick said. "You can be proud of what you have even though there could be improvements. You always want good stuff for the kids. whether it be the kids in your home or the kids in the building, you want something better for them, and it is our responsibility to live by that."

Quick added that right now, there is no firm plan for where the facilities would be put on campus. Quick said if the bond were to pass they would work with architects and developers for the best options.

Early voting for the LISD bond election starts April 23. The election is on May 5.

More information on the bond can be found here.

Copyright 2018 KTRE. All rights reserved.