Sign in to follow this  
BandDad

2018-2020 Alignment Possibilities

I haven't done a numbers project in a while and this looked like a good one, so ....  

First thing to bear in mind is that for the first time, for football only, 5A is "pre-divided" into Division 1 and 2.  The range for Division 1 is 1840 to 2189 and UIL says this represents 126 schools.  http://www.uiltexas.org/athletics/conference-cutoffs  JT is the only school from our former 5A district to make Division 1.

Dave Campbell's Texas Football has Matt Stepp's collection of verified snapshot numbers.  http://www.texasfootball.com/snapshot/  There are 114 schools there that meet the cutoff numbers for 5A Division 1, so we're missing a dozen.  That may or may not matter to us.

In my memory, the longest district road trip we've ever had was Texarkana.  Based on that, I grabbed every school from Stepp's list that's within 175 miles of Lufkin (according to Google Maps) and plotted them on a map.  Let's see if this works:  https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tgEeB_vP754HcaR7-OVzWrDCAkT6gUZH&usp=sharing .

If the current 4A Division 1 is any indication, five-, six-, and seven-team districts are the norm, with some four-team districts in sparsely-populated area.  Just looking at the map, I'll take a wild guess and say Lufkin, New Caney, Porter, Kingwood Park, Caney Creek, plus-or-minus Willis.

I too believe we go south this time in 5A. Only viable choice by looking at the map. The downside to all this moving around is you end up not forming any traditional rivalries because you're not in the district long enough to establish those things.

On 12/11/2017 at 4:54 PM, pimpthepen said:

The talk i heard is that we are staying south ,New Caney ,Porter, Caney Creek ,Willis ,Humble ,Kingwood Park , Montgomery

I have also seen this line up on the Texas 5A Sports site.  Who knows, but I like the one PimpthePin posted better.

8-5A (I) (8 schools)
Conroe Caney Creek, Galena Park, Humble Kingwood Park, Lufkin, New Caney (New Caney, Porter), Port Arthur Memorial, Goose Creek Memorial

Lufkin spins down to the Houston area. I could’ve sent Lufkin to College Station, but its unnecessary mileage with New Caney so close. Likewise, Port Arthur Memorial could have gone to the Galveston/South Houston area, but the mileage isn’t much more at all to join this district.

Read this projection today.

9-5A (I) (8 schools)
Conroe Caney Creek, Galena Park, Humble Kingwood Park, Houston Austin, Lufkin, New Caney (New Caney, Porter), Port Arthur Memorial

Don't knowanything about Houston Austin and looking over these two mock ups, I can't see PA Memorial or Goose Creek in this mix at all. 

My take is Lufkin, New Caney, New Caney Porter, Conroe Caney Creek, Willis, Humble Kingwood Park and Montgomery

On 12/18/2017 at 8:51 AM, PackAttack said:

Read this projection today.

9-5A (I) (8 schools)
Conroe Caney Creek, Galena Park, Humble Kingwood Park, Houston Austin, Lufkin, New Caney (New Caney, Porter), Port Arthur Memorial

Don't knowanything about Houston Austin and looking over these two mock ups, I can't see PA Memorial or Goose Creek in this mix at all. 

My take is Lufkin, New Caney, New Caney Porter, Conroe Caney Creek, Willis, Humble Kingwood Park and Montgomery

Montgomery i think will be 5A d2. At least that’s what i heard. I’m pretty sure we’re going south with the New Caney schools though. I’m expecting PAM to also be in that district. If we’re in an 8 team district though, i hope we can find someone other than Nac and Lv to play in non-district. Tired of playing both of them. 

3 hours ago, Pack007 said:

Montgomery i think will be 5A d2. At least that’s what i heard. I’m pretty sure we’re going south with the New Caney schools though. I’m expecting PAM to also be in that district. If we’re in an 8 team district though, i hope we can find someone other than Nac and Lv to play in non-district. Tired of playing both of them. 

You know very well that the Nacogdoches tradition will not end . We will play those guys until attrition takes care of all those people that want to continue it just because we've been doing it since 1911.

Longview May quit us for a few years before we quit them. We do it because it's easy scheduling you don't have to look for anybody, so John Tyler, Longview and Nacogdoches are always easy slot fillers and I guess most of the time it benefits them too. Of course we don't have to deal with the headaches of scheduling and that may be a good thing.

MOCK REALIGNMENT: Matt Stepp’s projection of the 2018-19 UIL districts

District 10-5A DI

Magnolia West

Magnolia

College Station

Lufkin

Willis

Conroe Caney Creek

Tomball

Waller

If this were the case, it would be the first time in Lufkin History to have three teams in their district that wear Purple.

Personally, it doesn't matter to me where we end up. You must play and beat whoever is in front of you.  Being in 5A doesn't guarantee us anything because many of the top 5A programs could compete and defeat many of the 6A teams.   It doesn't get any easier for us is what I am trying to say.  The bonus for me is we do not have to deal with Longview in the playoffs for at least the next two years while they seek to end their 71 year State Championship drought.  Of course we are on a 16 year drought to even get to a State game ourselves.   I know we will play them in non district, Coach Quick and John King are friends and I believe that will continue in some form.  I just don't care to play them.  Many think they are one of the best football programs in the State but have not been able to secure the hardware to prove that claim, close several times but no cigar.  We are certainly in a redeveloping stage ourselves, you hope that we can build off our 11-3 season next season and in the coming years.  Hard to say with the talent we have coming up the pipe from the sub varsity levels.  Football season seems so far away right now and there will be small stretches of activity with Realignment info in February, Spring ball in May and 7on7 in June and July.   The one thing I do know is this move to 5A definitely helps many of our other sports and extracurricular activities.  The band competition with be tougher because more 5A schools military march.  Over all, 5A is where we need to be right now.

Not according to the way the guys from Dave Campbell Football Talk.  Of course 5A will be divided next year for the first time as Division I and Division II Districts.  So we will need to be conscience of who our competition and ranking might be in Division I, since we will never play any top ranked team in the Division II bracket. Complete new way of doing things, Parity at work.

https://www.texasfootball.com/snapshot/

DCTF  mentions the top ranked teams for 5A next year will include Highland Park, College Station, Lubbock Coronado, Aledo, Colleyville Heritage, John Tyler, Cedar Park, Temple, Denton Ryan,  Ennis, Frisco Lone Star, Manvel, Fort Bend Marshall, Angleton, Mansfield Legacy and Mansfield Lake Ridge.  No mention of Lufkin, maybe because we have not been officially confirmed into 5A.   Several of those top teams are in Div. II.   The teams on that list that Lufkin would deal with would be someone like Cedar Park, Denton Ryan, JT, Frisco Lone Star, College Park, Lubbock Coronado, Angleton and Mansfield Legacy.  Whether we will be Region II or Region III will determine early pairings.  We are lucky to have Aledo and Manvel in Division II - 5A     It doesn't get any easier either way and it was not the last time we were in 5A,  Most of your top 5A schools are just as good as your top #8 through #15th ranked  6A teams IMO.

FROM TEXAS 5A FOOTBALL 2018 MOCK REALIGNMENT:  5A Div I

————————————
REGION 2 (34 SCHOOLS)

5-5A (I) (8 schools)
Carrollton (Creekview, Smith, Turner), Denton (Denton, Ryan), Highland Park, Lewisville The Colony, Little Elm

6-5A (I) (9 schools)
Frisco (Centennial, Heritage, Independence, Liberty, Lone Star, Wakeland), McKinney North, Sherman, Wylie East

7-5A (I) (9 schools)
Dallas (Adams, Samuell, Sunset, Wilson), Lancaster, Mesquite (Poteet, West), Texarkana Texas, Tyler

8-5A (I) (8 schools)
Conroe Caney Creek, Galena Park, Humble Kingwood Park, Lufkin, New Caney (New Caney, Porter), Port Arthur Memorial, Goose Creek Memorial

Read more: http://texxas5asports.proboards.com/thread/6438/rtxc1s-2018-mock-realignment-thread?page=1#ixzz55GH1ZRir

Matt Stepp Mock Alignment District 10-5A Division I

Tomball    

Magnolia West

Magnolia

College Station    

Lufkin

Waller

Willis    

Conroe Caney Creek

ADD Longview and Nacogdoches as for sure Pre District opponents , then looking at either JT or Monterrey Mexico again for the third game.  It would also be nice to play THW  or West Brook in non-District.

Glad the districts aligned the way they did, hopefully we see a Lufkin vs Port Arthur Memorial state final, would be a great matchup! 

8 hours ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

Glad the districts aligned the way they did, hopefully we see a Lufkin vs Port Arthur Memorial state final, would be a great matchup! 

Agree. I would love that