Sign in to follow this  
N2TheRed

2001 Season

I'm trying to remember some of the classic games of the 2001 season and I'm coming up just a little short.  There was a site years ago that had the best games for a given year, but it's long gone now and Lufkin held several "best games" for the 2001 season.  If I'm remembering correctly, there was the field goal for the Spring Westfield game, the comeback form 21 down against Trinity, and the comeback win against Austin Westlake for state. 

Anyone care to help remind me of some of the classic games from that season?  Also, what happened to all the footage?  Matt Skinner told me he couldn't find much other than the Austin Westlake game. 

Come from behind game to narrowly defeat Plano .  It was a come from behind playoff run. The only sure win we had in the 2001 playoffs was the first game @ Dallas Carter. Killen played us really tough until late in the game. Reggie had a long TD run late and a Panther D goal line stand in the minute to hold on against Plano. Plano had about 350 yards rushing that night.

Everyone remembers the comebacks against Spring Westfield 4th down goal line stand to win , Euless Trinity, a Classic Comeback in the cold rain of Tyler and of course Austin Westlake with an injured Reggie and the Jeremy Berry Show. That was a season that had everything.

Early season 10-7 comeback down at Aldine Eisenhower. Early season loss at Abe to Evangel.  The 2001 season had a little of everything. Emotional season.

On 5/15/2017 at 8:44 AM, PackAttack said:

Come from behind game to narrowly defeat Plano .  It was a come from behind playoff run. The only sure win we had in the 2001 playoffs was the first game @ Dallas Carter. Killen played us really tough until late in the game. Reggie had a long TD run late and a Panther D goal line stand in the minute to hold on against Plano. Plano had about 350 yards rushing that night.

Everyone remembers the comebacks against Spring Westfield 4th down goal line stand to win , Euless Trinity, a Classic Comeback in the cold rain of Tyler and of course Austin Westlake with an injured Reggie and the Jeremy Berry Show. That was a season that had everything.

Early season 10-7 comeback down at Aldine Eisenhower. Early season loss at Abe to Evangel.  The 2001 season had a little of everything. Emotional season.

Thanks for the reply PackAttack!  What happened with the goal line stand against Spring Westfield?  I can't remember that, but I remember a fieldgoal though. 

If I remember correctly, wasn't Lufkin ahead at half against Evangel?  If they weren't, it was a lot closer than the final score.  What happened in the 2nd half?  Those were the days when Evangel were an nationally elite team. 

We kicked a FG in overtime for the lead. Westfield went for the TD to win and Ju Parks stopped their RB at the 1/2 yard line for our win.

The best I remember, the Evangel game was close at half, not sure if we were ahead or not. Just know Evangel went for every 4th down the second half and they bottled up Reggie pretty good.

Long time ago, memory is fading a bit on some of that stuff.

On 5/17/2017 at 9:53 AM, PackAttack said:

We kicked a FG in overtime for the lead. Westfield went for the TD to win and Ju Parks stopped their RB at the 1/2 yard line for our win.

The best I remember, the Evangel game was close at half, not sure if we were ahead or not. Just know Evangel went for every 4th down the second half and they bottled up Reggie pretty good.

Long time ago, memory is fading a bit on some of that stuff.

We also had some costly fumbles in that game on special teams. That was also the game the coaches decided to have McNeal continue to run the option. Had minimal success against that Evangel defense. McNeal was never a great option Qb in my opinion. He was always at his best in the shotgun scanning the field and improvising. I don't remember Lufkin running the option as much for the remainder of the season after that game. 

That Evangel team also had one of the Booty brothers on the team, I believe it was the younger one who went to USC. Evangel had him about 10 yards back from the center in shotgun the whole game. Lufkin had a hard time putting any pressure on him.

On 5/27/2017 at 2:17 PM, timeout! said:

That Evangel team also had one of the Booty brothers on the team, I believe it was the younger one who went to USC. Evangel had him about 10 yards back from the center in shotgun the whole game. Lufkin had a hard time putting any pressure on him.

John David Booty. He was a junior that year. They lost to West Monroe in the regular season before going on to defeat them for State later in the year.

They had a fantastic team back then.