PackAttack

Lufkin Panther Football 2017

Great post. Its very easy to lose sight of the important things in life and even easier to focus on the negative. This football season was really fun. It took me back to the old days when Lufkin was basically a 4th-5th round lock. Honestly it felt more special than the rest because nobody gave us a chance. We could have competed with anyone left down the stretch. I hope i get to see another pack title in my life.

Any updates on any Panthers signing during the early signing period? Also what about Isaiah? 

Merry Christmas to all and God Bless your families and health this new Year. 

I just watched the kicker from little ol' Muenster nail a 35 yard field goal against Tenaha on their way to the state title. The kick would have been good from 45 - right down the middle. Had Longview been able to kick a 29 yard field goal, they would be playing Cy-Fair Sat. Night for all the marbles.

I just watched Brock kick-off with a very good pooch kick against Rockdale.  Fielded with a fair catch at the 34 yard line.  Had he tried to return it he would have been smothered for no return, might have even fumbled.  Had Lufkin been able to kick one just like that against LV,  who knows?  Lobos had plenty of time, but they would not have been doing play action.

The kicking game matters. 

1 hour ago, Favpack said:

I just watched the kicker from little ol' Muenster nail a 35 yard field goal against Tenaha on their way to the state title. The kick would have been good from 45 - right down the middle. Had Longview been able to kick a 29 yard field goal, they would be playing Cy-Fair Sat. Night for all the marbles.

I just watched Brock kick-off with a very good pooch kick against Rockdale.  Fielded with a fair catch at the 34 yard line.  Had he tried to return it he would have been smothered for no return, might have even fumbled.  Had Lufkin been able to kick one just like that against LV,  who knows?  Lobos had plenty of time, but they would not have been doing play action.

The kicking game matters. 

Coaching decisions on strategy and where you kick the ball matters too. If Savon just gets out of the way of that punt and we kick off the ball out of bounds at the end, we were playing the next week. It is those little decisions that make or break a State Championship run.

13 hours ago, PackAttack said:

You can definitely see why Newton goes deep in the playoffs every year. Great defense and a very Diversified offense.

The same with Carthage. But I’m leaving that alone..

19 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Coaching decisions on strategy and where you kick the ball matters too. If Savon just gets out of the way of that punt and we kick off the ball out of bounds at the end, we were playing the next week. It is those little decisions that make or break a State Championship run.

Very true. Still don’t understand it

That Highland Park and Manvel game was something to see.  Wow!  You see why these teams make it this far . Those two teams are 5A powerhouses,  along with Aledo and College Station. Panthers don't gain that much advantage in football dropping to 5A.

Some of the Manvel players never left their bench to shake hands with HP players.

All these teams this weekend are champions, they walk on that field expecting to win. Most are well coached, some at the smaller classifications just have that one dominate man among boys player. Regardless most are coming into Championship week undefeated or just one loss and showing everyone why they are there. You also see the same time management issues and What the Heck play calling everyone else complains about with their teams, so WE are not alone in that scenario. Lufkin had a great year, too bad it didn't work out to a State game, but that is such a tough road to get there.  There were many great football teams that did not make it to the big dance for one reason or another, bottom line, they were not able to negotiate the playoff  gauntlet. Proud of what Lufkin accomplished this season. It was a nice ride.

Great game Lake Travis. Was pulling for them after the first qtr injury. And watching that montage of how great Allen football is. It may as well been a recruitment video. I was waiting for them to say come to Allen if you want to win. I think LT runs a way with it if the Qb is healthy. Was not all that impressed with Allen. 

Merry Christmas Panther Family . God bless and have a Happy and blessed New Year. 

Longview fans hopes to trade Lufkin for DeSoto next year.  The Desoto coach stepped down this week amid unsubstantiated rumors and the talk over on the 6A forum is Mathis from Marshall may take that job.  He has only been in Marshall 1 season.

http://www.wfaa.com/sports/high-school/football/desoto-football-coach-todd-peterman-to-step-down/509209884

Guess our move to 5A  no longers meets the Lobo fan standards for a quality opponent.  It would suit me just fine not to see them for at least two years in any football form.   Not because we can not beat them or compete with them or anything like that, we just need a break from the whole thing for a while.

https://www.inc.com/carmine-gallo/nick-sabans-24-hour-rule-is-key-to-success-in-sports-business.html

Whether you like Alabama or not or Nick Saban or not.  Me, I am neither. You can't ignore the results he has at Alabama. In fact Saban beat his own pupil from Georgia in the Championship game. This obsession with competition winning is out of the realm of the ordinary in many ways because it gives the impression that wining it all is always the most important thing.

You can bet Saban competitively campaigned hard to get his team in that 4th place slot for the Championship Playoffs,  any other Bowl would be for losers in his book.  Again I say, you can not argue with the tremendous winning success he has had at Alabama.  They are the Gold standard in College Football right now, everybody is looking to knock them off.  Love'em or Hate them, the Crimson Tide are the measuring stick for every Div I Program in the Country. 

On 1/23/2018 at 12:43 AM, PackAttack said:

Guess our move to 5A  no longers meets the Lobo fan standards for a quality opponent.  It would suit me just fine not to see them for at least two years in any football form.   Not because we can not beat them or compete with them or anything like that, we just need a break from the whole thing for a while.

We already have y'all confirmed for Week 1 in 2018 and 2019... Desoto is still in the picture for us on another week. 

We pretty much have our pre-district built already, just waiting on realignment day to confirm everything. But LP is definitely already set in stone for Week 1.

3 hours ago, wolfpack4life said:

We already have y'all confirmed for Week 1 in 2018 and 2019... Desoto is still in the picture for us on another week. 

We pretty much have our pre-district built already, just waiting on realignment day to confirm everything. But LP is definitely already set in stone for Week 1.

I figured that since Coach Quick and Coach King are pretty close friends.  Not what I would have preferred.

Matt Stepp Mock Alignment District 10-5A Division I

Tomball    

Magnolia West

Magnolia

College Station    

Lufkin

Waller

Willis    

Conroe Caney Creek

ADD Longview and Nacogdoches as for sure Pre District opponents , then looking at either JT or Monterrey Mexico again for the third game.  It would also be nice to play THW  or West Brook in non-District.            

Just remembering a really good football game down in New Caney.  Really proud of our guys this year and looking for another great year in 2018.   We have  a bunch of good guys coming back, especially on Defense.  Seems like a long time off and it is right now.  

Realignment is February 1st,  Spring Football starts third week of April and the Spring game is the third week of May.  Then you have 7on7 tournaments starting in June , Lufkin' will host one on June 9th,  culminating hopefully with the State Tourney in College Station.  Then you are only about a month away from the beginning of practice for the 2018 season the second week in August,   Scrimmage game on August 24th.  First game at home against Longview on August 31st.   Enough to maybe to keep you interested along the way.

Glad to see Isaiah P. Committed to ULM. Monroe nice small country town. Best of luck to him and the others. 

GO PACK!!