PackAttack

Lufkin Panther Football 2017

2 hours ago, FHL777 said:

IMG_0556.PNG

Thank You.  I count 90 total on the Roster. Some will be JV, still decent number for the Spring.

On 4/29/2017 at 7:02 PM, PackAttack said:

Just to be clear. Lufkin  Spring game will be on May 15 at Abe Martin Stadium. That is a Monday -  6 PM.

Will this be a 4 quarter game?

Well it's nice you got your altitude changed. I been watching them practice alot. they will be ok. I don't believe McDuffie will be the QuarterBack.See you at the games.I've watched alot of baseball&softball this spring. See you!

Lufkin might as well start Tre Odom at QB. That will make him a 3 year starter by the end of his career. The current freshmen may have something going and giving him a head start will pay dividends going down the road. Not to mention the older kids at QB just did not impress. Also Breylon should play DE and I don't like the fact we moved Phillips from LB to RB. Like do we not understand offense is not the problem. I know it was just a glorified practice but depth is a concern on defense and the LB position as well.

10 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Lufkin might as well start Tre Odom at QB. That will make him a 3 year starter by the end of his career. The current freshmen may have something going and giving him a head start will pay dividends going down the road. Not to mention the older kids at QB just did not impress. Also Breylon should play DE and I don't like the fact we moved Phillips from LB to RB. Like do we not understand offense is not the problem. I know it was just a glorified practice but depth is a concern on defense and the LB position as well.

Moving Phillips to Rb is questionable. You're taking one of your better players on defense, which is a weakness and moving him over to the offense? I would've left at LB and rotated him in on offense as needed like last year. But then again, the defense is so bad, I can see them just throwing all their eggs in one basket. He will help take some of the pressure of the new Qb. 

I agree about Garcia being moved over to DE if he is unable to dominate at WR. He was just a sophomore last year, so I'm hope he really improves his catching route running over the summer. He can be a force with his hight and athleticism.

Really good to get back out to ABE to see some football in comfortable 84 degree weather.  It will be much warmer come September 1st in Longview. Phillips was evidently  our best option at RB among what we have or the coaches would not put him there. IMO he was too small at LB, fast but too small to hold up.  I think 35 Tyler McNeal might help him out there, Tre Grant 23 also had a 12 yard TD run. It may end up as RB by committee.  Lots of fumbles tonight by the back up RBs though, some after long runs.  Just looking tonight seemed like we were 70% pass and 30% run . Don't have a great RB on the team, so you do what you can there.

First team QB Thomas 4 made one great deep throw to Jackson 2 in the game, he has potential.  Tre Odom 12 looked okay in spurts, made a few good throws and he could also help out at RB if he doesn't start @ QB.  He has really has some speed wheels.  McDuffie looked like he only had 5 practices, very rusty

Lots of guys got to play.  The QB position is key and is up in the air IMO.   They definitely need some 7 on 7 reps this summer. All they need to do is get to the ball to the playmakers , tonight it was hit and miss at times.  Really hard watching a scrimmage in order to make any true judgements. They play so many folks.   Thought Soph WR Ja lynn Polk 8 had a great night, he is going to be a good one.

Garcia wants to play WR, that is why he is there, that is what he wants to play in college.  He and Jackson will be fine . Jackson is THE playmaker of that bunch.  Garcia played a few snaps at DE last year in spots and maybe could again this year, although he did not today. The offense will be just fine when all is said and done.

The #1 D tonight looked set in their front 7, had good size and speed.  Hard to say about improvement  because they were playing against themselves, they did tackle well and hit harder.  The 2nd  team D secondary had 2 or 3 breakdowns, one for a score leaving  Riley Holt 11 wide open for a long TD catch and run.  You menton Garcia and Phillips back on D but who replaces them on O?   NG Carl Williams is huge at 6'4" 320 lbs, he is like a Mack Truck in there.  March Thomas and Jamal Arthur anchor the two ends, pretty big line with some good size back ups too.  At LB, they started Jackson Treadwell 56, Jimorian Horace 31 and Christian Williams 26 but they rotated lots of other guys in and out at LB.  I think the coaches know and are pretty set on their front 7.  The only starters I recognized as first team in the secondary was Jeremiah Davis 7 is back at safety, Deandre Bagley 8 CB and Da mond Moreland 29 a Safety. They all covered well enough and I think Bagley had an INT. Lot of folks were played tonight and I am not sure everything is set in stone yet.  

The QB position will need to be earned and a healthy competition is not a bad thing to have going  forward, but I suppose it is Kawone Thomas's position to lose or keep going in to August.

We look like we have talent, we look good as a team as far as an intrasquad scrimmage goes. we look kind of like we always do , not a world beater but a competitive bunch of kids.  As always, got to stay healthy.  Lots to fine tune over the summer, but I enjoyed watching them mix it up today, it was fun, liked the potential and I am anxious to see how it all fits together come September when they can game plan against folks for a change. Optimistic........

FYI .....Coach Jamie Bridges is leaving for the new school in Katy,  Paetow as their D line coach, same thing he does at Lufkin.

NEW Conroe ISD  high school "Grand Oaks" in the Oak Ridge HS area will start in 2018,  will now give Conroe ISD five 6A schools, plus Conroe Caney Creek is probably about 150 below the threshold for 6A, throw in a couple of neighborhoods within the district lines would do the trick for them.  Wonder where that leaves Lufkin after 2018?  Montgomery would probably move out like all the other district inserts of the past like New Caney, Magnolia, Atascocita, Humble Kingwood, AMC and Bryan have done with each of the past realignments.  Conroe Grand Oaks colors are to be Orange & Blue & its mascot the Grizzles.   Hopefully Lufkin will eventually go 5A in the next couple of realignments and stay there for a while. 

QB Kawone Thomas is protected well by the Pack OL and ready to make a throw downfield.  Polk #8 Sophomore WR varsity starter makes one of his 4 catches, he will be a good one for the next 3 years. He will compliment Garcia and Jackson , they are loaded at WR.

Photos I believe are courtesy of Andy Adams at The Lufkin Daily News/ Photos on Google

591a6f484faa4.image.jpg

591a6f5ce70df.image.jpg

On 5/15/2017 at 8:05 PM, PurpleNation said:

This is the first time since 08 and maybe 2011 (because I didn't know who would be our Qb) that I'll be worried about the offense coming into this season. If they don't play well, then we could really struggle next season. 

Lufkin 7 on 7 State Qualifying Tournament  will be held June 10th at Lufkin High School, Abe Martin and Jase Magers Fields.

Lufkin will also participate in the Tyler SQT on June 17th.

On 5/21/2017 at 0:28 AM, PackAttack said:

Lufkin 7 on 7 State Qualifying Tournament  will be held June 10th at Lufkin High School, Abe Martin and Jase Magers Fields.

Lufkin will also participate in the Tyler SQT on June 17th.

Here is the 7 on 7 list of teams from Matt Stepp for our SQT 

Lufkin

Tyler Lee

Longview

Clear Brook

Clear Lake

Tomball Memorial

PNG

Bmt West Brook

College Station

Whitehouse

New Caney Porter