PackAttack

Lufkin Panther Football 2017

There have been only two things that have been big hurdles for me as a fan to understand . Really two only, the rest I can tolerate. First, it is our inability in either 5A or 6A of WINNING our district. If you had only 2 teams from every district making the playoffs again,  you would see more pressure there to do better. I think winning district should be important and is important to stress to players. To be the best , not a 2nd, 3rd or 4th place playoff entry. The fact we have not defeated a real top football program in 4 years is a concern and a reason we don't win district. Not everything can be a coin flip.

The second one and biggest for me, is our playoff record the past 11 years, even when John was here from 2006-2011. We have been one and done 8 times during these last 11 years and that is not a good indication for a program.  Quick is responsible for 5 of those years under his guidance . He got to the 3rd round his first year and has been one and done his last 4. The defense has not been great for all 5 of those years. In 2016 our defense was the worst I have ever witnessed personally in a Lufkin team. Ironically, our offense when totally healthy was one of our best. He is 34-23 overall and 2-5 in the playoffs.

Not really saying much there, just repeating the facts that everyone already knows. Those are my only two peves, the rest is incidental to me. So I support the staff we have here in Lufkin. Actually,  I Haven't quite given up on them yet or the football program.

On 3/28/2017 at 8:46 AM, Pack007 said:

I wanted Fedora or Mathis, now both are gone. I don't think Surratt is leaving Carthage. So, not sure what coaches are out there now. Peaster from Parkway tried to get the Marshall job, but I'm not really a fan of him personally. It seems He's a good offensive minded coach though. I just think we need to make change. We've had too many losses in the first round with the talent that we've had over the years. Like I told Mav on smoaky, it's not like we're winning district and competing for titles now. I understand the risks, but let's be honest, we're not doing much now anyways. Give someone else a chance to bring life back into this program. I don't see the problem with that. I'm not satisfied with the points we give up basically every week, especially when we have a defensive guy as the HC. Those problems on defense haven't been fixed since he's been here. It's not just on the kids or the change in play. We suck on that side. I'm not satisfied with just making the playoffs, when three other teams from our district also have the chance to make it now. I'm not satisfied with just beating scrubadoches. They don't matter. I want more and y'all should too. I like Quick, but he's not getting the job done. That's just my opinion though. I hope everyone enjoyed their break (if they had one). 

Preach!!

FYI, Spring Football practice starts about April 24th and the Spring game will be either the 18th or 19th of May.

Thought some of you might want to know that piece of info. 

I believe the whole year will be interesting. Many unknowns about 2017. Several quality starters returning in spots. We were young last year overall, we will be again this year in spots. I know the kids and coaches are working hard to prepare .   The 7 on 7 will be important too. It will be like opening up a gift on Christmas morning, you just never know what your going to get. Kind of exciting.

Wanted to let you know that Francie Outlaw passed away today in Lufkin from bone cancer. Our prayers and condolences to the Outlaw family. 

1940 Lufkin Panthers. Abe Martin at the top in the middle. Have players names if interested.

First row/Bottom:  Lewis Hicks, Pee Wee Roebuck, Chigger berry

2nd Row:  James Rainbolt, Tommy Hudgens, Bryan Weickersheimer, Glenn Spurgeon, Frank Devereaux, Eddie McMullen, John Steele, Bukk Hicks, Lynn Hill, Don Hughes and Poodle Glidden.

3rd row:  David Cook, Eddie McFarland, Harry Castleberry, Sid Robinson, Charles Cummings, Ben Newsome, Jessie Paul Lott, Dawson Rosler, Linwood Due, Pay Hayes, Freddie Benthall and Buster Strait

4th Row: Tommy McNeil, Tody Denman, Jack Yoeman, John L. Miller, Jack Stone, John David Metteauer, Oliver McKay, Billy Lee Thompson, Ben Merritt, Ned Shotwell, Tommy McHowell, Petyon Denman, Bert Westmorland and Dan Spivey.

5th Row:  Billy Burnett, Roscoe Ivy, Harvey Hicks, Ed Skillern, Vernon Glenn, Jitter McKinney, Bobby Kurth, Heifer Morris, J.T. ODOM,  Les Taylor, Jack McKinney, Horace Stubblefield and Buddy McKinney.

6th Row: Shirley Anderson, Ed Parrish, Johnny Futch, Lenard Middleton, Gordon Bevil, Earnest Bartlett, Earnest Rutland, Frank Mitchell, Tommy Haliburton, Jimmy Moore, Ralph Matlock and Arthur Kirk

Coaches at the top:  Glenn Berry, Abe Martin and Coach Spivey

20170417_193534.jpg

1942 Lufkin Panthers. Abe Martin at top left.  Names available. Will post shortly.

1st Row:  Earnest Bartlett, Ben Merritt, Oliver McKay, Burt Westmoreland, Buddy Shotwell, Jesse Boles, John David Metteauer, Peyton Denman, Kenneth Outlaw, Billy Burnett, J.T ODOM and Bubba Shands

2nd Row:  Jitter McKinney, Harold Kemorle, Leroy Lott, Harmon Carswell, Bobby Musselwhite, Bryan Wickershammer, John Sowell, JC Koch, Ed Parrish, Joe Fontenot, Robert Booker

3rd Row: Carl Pepper, Buddy McKinney, Hugh Weber, Chester Moore, Harold B.Morris, Ed Parrish, Kenneth Outlaw, Huel Jones, Joe Tilley, Kenneth Casey, Earnest Lord and Wick Lewis

4th Row;  Coach Glenn Berry, Coach Abe Martin, Les Taylor, Horace Stubblefield, Bull Hicks, Shirley Anderson, Billy Lee Thompson, Buddy Rutland

These pictures were taken at Old Panther Stadium over where the Boys and Girls Club is Today.  The 50 yardline,  South toward Chambers Park  is now the playground area.  Lots of History there.

20170417_193632.jpg

March “Mon Mon” Thomas let his excitement be heard as he made his way through the indoor athletic facility at Lufkin High School on Monday afternoon.

Thomas was excited because he and his Lufkin Panther teammates were able to hit the field for the first time in full pads for spring football practices.

“I had to be excited,” Thomas said. “This is are first day back in these pads, and you know it’s my senior year, so I’m going to try to make it the best.”

Thomas went through the indoor facility, where the offensive linemen and running backs were getting some work in. A little bit after 3 p.m., all of the players made their way to the practice fields to get things started.

The Panthers quickly broke up into their individual positions for drills. Each position coach worked with his players, including Lufkin head football coach Todd Quick, who is overseeing the nose tackles this season.

“We’ve got a good bunch, and with what we’re doing up front defensively, the guy in the middle is totally different than anything else,” Quick said. “I’m enjoying it, and I’ve got a really good bunch of big boys in the middle.”

The Lufkin coaches weren’t the only ones on the field. Coaches from Texas Christian University and Northeastern State University (Oklahoma) were in attendance Monday.

Quick said he was pleased with what he saw during the first of 15 spring practices for the Panthers.

“We’ve been planning this since January, and we look up, and it’s already done,” Quick said.  It’s like we were out here 10 minutes. But the kids did good. They looked like they knew exactly where to be in practice. We knew the type of tempo we wanted. We started really good, and about halfway through, we petered out a little bit, but that will go with repetition. But they know what we’re looking for. And the key is how long can we maintain that. That’s what we’re looking for, and I was very pleased with the effort.”

In the first drill the Panthers did, the coaches just wanted to see the defense flying to the ball, and a couple of players decided to start the contact portion early.

“They tried to run over each other, but that’s just part of it,” Quick said. “There was some jawing back and forth, but shoot, we’ve been waiting since December to strap it back on. If you have to ask them to hit each other, you have problems. So we were real happy with how they came out and went against each other.”

One of the main questions for the Panthers entering the spring was, “Who is going to be the quarterback?” Currently, only Kewone Thomas is able to practice, with Dillon McDuffie and Tre Odom still in baseball.

Receiver Malik Jackson said it was good to get on the field and start building that quarterback/receiver relationship.

“It meant a lot to get back out here, just balling out with the brothers,” Jackson said. “We’re getting our chemistry back together, especially since we have a new quarterback. I felt like we came out today and got after it with a lot of energy.”

The Panthers will be back on the field today through Friday. They will then have two more weeks of practices before the spring game on May 15 at Abe Martin Stadium.

Brandon Ogden’s email address is bogden@lufkindailynews.com.  ARTICLE BY AND FOR THE LUFKIN DAILY NEWS

RB go through drills and Breylan Garcia makes a catch in practice.

58fec5c3c00af.image.jpg

58fec5e5eccc8.image.jpg

Thought the team looked good on the practice field the two times I have been out there.  You can tell they have all worked hard in the off season.  Some big kids on the offensive and defensive lines.  Running a 3-4 D with big NG  , not a bad fit.  Looks like about 85 kids or so out on the field, hard to get an accurate count with all the running around.  There will be about 90 or so freshman in the fall and another source tells me there will be close to 280 over in the 7th and 8th grade programs. If they would move Coach Murphy over to the baseball side of things permanently, out of the football side, they would be better served long term at the middle school IMO. Or at least put someone in charge there who gives a crap about the kids and actually knows how to teach them football fundamentals. 

Isaiah Phillips #10, OLB the last two years is now RB, that is a good move.  That is the position we nee some help.  WR positions look very good and the QB spot is going to be just fine and McDuffie is not there yet.  They will find a way to make it work I assure you.

The D is the kicker, hard to tell like it is against each other, but they look pretty big and fast in the front 7.  The secondary the two times I have watched practice have been playing well in tight coverage.  Like I said, it it hard to evaluate when they are playing against each other.   Will just say I like what I see. We had a great offense last year, but you have to admit they were never fully healthy all through district, never at full potential .  Kordell, Brown and different  WRs were dinged up at one time or another all year. We are going to be okay offensively.  Not worried there.

The D has to be better and for several reasons I think they will.  They have moved a few kids around, they graduated some that were senior players that were just not getting it done for whatever reason.  My thinking is if a senior is not playing well, replace them with whoever is, even if it is a sophomore.  Savon Fields will be back.  The coaches and the kids are working very hard on that side of the ball, you can tell by watching. You can only hope that pays off.  Just happy with what I am seeing.  The hard work and hustle on the field.  Bigger and faster through great off season work, it is showing up for the spring or at least the two I have watched.,  Playing better D this upcoming season is the main key to success for this football program.

Breylan Garcia is a freak of nature, he is 6 ft 5 in 215 lb junior who can run like the wind, has to prove the hands are consistent.  He is getting a very hard look from UT and some others.   Malik Jackson  of course can play O from any skilled position, he is fast and shifty  and could be better than KeKe Coutee over at Texas Tech, Jaylen Polk a soph WR will be good too.

Davis at Safety on D with Fields is a great combo.  I am telling ya, I am interested, there are prospects here to watch.  

Thanks PA,  ready for some football. Unfortunately I will be in Bahrain for the next 2 years but will find the radio station that's for sure. It's a 8 hour difference. Garcia is a beast and either football or basketball he gets his chance. I would move him to TE if I had my say that would open up so many things from the outside having his big body over the middle. 

GO Pack!! Going to miss my classmate and teammate  Matt Holland this season. 

In Manama. I forgot all about the replay will watch. I still remember you sending me stories via email of the panther games.  Hard to believe I have been in almost 17 years. Like that other poster said what makes Panther football great is the fans no matter how much we complain we will always support the Panthers.  Dubai is awesome have not been since 05. 

Former Panther McNeal to be inducted into Texas High School Football Hall of Fame

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Saturday, May 6, 2017 12:30 am

From Lufkin to the Hall of Fame.

That’s the reality for former Lufkin Panther Reggie McNeal, who will be inducted into the Texas High School Hall of Fame tonight in Waco.

“It’s pretty awesome,” McNeal said. “To be able to have my kids there will be great. My son is very excited. Thinking of how many people could have been a part of it in my class and being that one is a huge honor.”

McNeal is joined in the induction class with Pro Football Hall of Famer Joe Greene (Temple Dunbar), Lovie Smith (Big Sandy), Dat Nguyen (Rockport), Tommy Joe Crutcher (McKinney), Johnny Walker (Holmes), coaches Steve Lineweaver (Euless Trinity) and Eddy Peach (Arlington Lamar), and former athletic director Frank Arnold (Converse Judson).

“It’s a huge honor to be able to be on stage with those guys,” McNeal said. “I can’t put it into words really. I got to talk to Joe Greene at the state games (in Arlington).”

McNeal had a standout career at Lufkin, capping it off by leading the Panthers to a state championship in 2001. In the title game victory over Austin Westlake, McNeal threw for 223 yards and rushed for 159 yards.

As a senior, McNeal was 134 of 307 through the air for 2,385 yards and 24 touchdowns, and he rushed for 856 yards and 10 touchdowns. He also intercepted seven passes as a defensive back, including one to clinch a playoff victory.

McNeal said he had very fond memories of his time playing for Lufkin and was thankful for his teammates and coaches.

“It was great being able to do it with the dudes I was with,” he said. “Everybody was on the same page. We were friends off the field and went to camps with each other. On the field, you were playing with brothers. When adversity came, everybody knew how to handle it.

“Without (the coaches), none of this would’ve happen. They trusted us so much, and we trusted in them. We knew they would put us in the right situations. Having those types of coaches was a big deal.”

McNeal also played basketball and baseball and ran track.

McNeal went on to have a collegiate career at Texas A&M and a professional football career with the Cincinnati Bengals, Toronto Argonauts, Calgary Stampeders and Edmonton Eskimos that came to an end in 2011.

McNeal now trains and coaches athletes in the Houston area, and some of his players are headed to play Division I football at Oklahoma, North Texas and Akron.

“It’s fun to watch the transformation from when you first get them to afterward,” McNeal said. “I love seeing the progression. I also get to coach my little boy’s teams.”

Just like McNeal enjoys watching the transformation of the athletes he works with, McNeal’s coaches watched him transform from a kid from Lufkin to a Hall of Famer.

“He’s been in our Hall of Fame for a long time,” Lufkin head football coach Todd Quick said. “This is great for him, his family and the people of Lufkin. We are proud of him.”

Brandon Ogden’s email address is bogden@lufkindailynews.com.

Article by Lufkin Daily News - Brandon Ogden  ALL RIGHTS BY LUFKIN DAILY NEWS

My take is the Panther D will be much improved this year.  Big and fast front 7 look impressive.  The Panther O which has not had problems scoring points the last several years without defensive support will have a new signal caller without varsity experience, a new RB who was a LB the past two years.  Green has always been able to come up with something that works.   Not sure about the depth situation, however we could be an interesting group to watch next September,

I'm taking a wait and see approach PA with the defense. They've had us fooled before over the last few seasons. I'll wait until at least the fourth or fifth game in the season to judge the defense. I think the offense will be ok with the talent we always have on that side every year, but then again you never know. We don't have a starter yet at Qb. So, that changes things. Regardless, I'll hopefully be at the majority of the games next season if I'm off of work. I just hope the Pack can play well. That's all I hope. I have no expectations now for this program. If the board members, coaching staff, and superintendent isn't stressing about the results in the playoffs every year, then why should I? 

...............because Friday Night High School football is so great to watch. No matter how we feel about it all, the true fan is always out there to support our Lufkin kids. I too often have forgotten my past, and the fact that they are just a bunch of knot headed high school boys out there trying to do the best they can on any given Friday night. Sure I am like anyone else, hate to see us lose anytime, by a little or a lot,  I shake my head like every other fan sitting in the stands sometimes, but I have had to learn to take a step back and just appreciate the game and trust the best we have is put on the field.  All I should ever expect of me or any of us , players, fans and coaches, is to put our best effort out each time we play someone, whether traveling to support those kids or home playing @ ABE.  If our VERY BEST is not enough, then so be it.  I have decided to live with that outcome and trust those in charge to help make that happen. I am looking forward to the season with anticipation. Go Pack!

5 hours ago, PackAttack said:

...............because Friday Night High School football is so great to watch. No matter how we feel about it all, the true fan is always out there to support our Lufkin kids. I too often have forgotten my past, and the fact that they are just a bunch of knot headed high school boys out there trying to do the best they can on any given Friday night. Sure I am like anyone else, hate to see us lose anytime, by a little or a lot,  I shake my head like every other fan sitting in the stands sometimes, but I have had to learn to take a step back and just appreciate the game and trust the best we have is put on the field.  All I should ever expect of me or any of us , players, fans and coaches, is to put our best effort out each time we play someone, whether traveling to support those kids or home playing @ ABE.  If our VERY BEST is not enough, then so be it.  I have decided to live with that outcome and trust those in charge to help make that happen. I am looking forward to the season with anticipation. Go Pack!

I didn't say that I wasn't going. I said that I wasn't stressing about the results, since the people at the top aren't. I understand what you're saying, but at the end of the day, Quick does get paid a good salary. It's higher than most around this state, even compared to some other 6A guys, at least that's my understanding. He should have some expectations of winning games when it counts. I should leave it alone, but honestly, I don't understand about the lack of care that's going around Lufkin. Whether it's with the sideliners, board members and other people in charge. You can care about and support the kids, but still have some type of expectations for the staff. I'll be surprised if we're not on the level of Nac in a few years with this lack of care in the program now. It's sad. 

On 5/11/2017 at 7:21 AM, Pack007 said:

I didn't say that I wasn't going. I said that I wasn't stressing about the results, since the people at the top aren't. I understand what you're saying, but at the end of the day, Quick does get paid a good salary. It's higher than most around this state, even compared to some other 6A guys, at least that's my understanding. He should have some expectations of winning games when it counts. I should leave it alone, but honestly, I don't understand about the lack of care that's going around Lufkin. Whether it's with the sideliners, board members and other people in charge. You can care about and support the kids, but still have some type of expectations for the staff. I'll be surprised if we're not on the level of Nac in a few years with this lack of care in the program now. It's sad. 

My statement was mainly about me and how I needed to change my attitude in order to continue watching the games or stop going all together. Every one of us Lufkin fans including yourself have legit thoughts and concerns about results of this program the past few years. Me, I just started thinking about it way too much and had to stop. Last year was a breaking point and after watching them give up all of those points, 70 at home it became just too much of a debacle to watch . I certainly do care about our program being  better again but I will not allow something that I have no control over  have the kind of effect on me that it did last year. If it becomes too stressful to watch again , I will just stay away. I do think we have a better group this year than most of us were expecting we would have. The QB position is new and of course the D is the sore spot that needs to be good again. I still care,  thus my change in attitude, cause I am not going  be pissed off about everything and still go to games at the same time, just not a good mix for me. There is no joy in it. So, I decided to drop the pissed off part for sanity sake. ?  That, I can control. Guess we will see what happens in about 3 1/2 months.? I kind of like the unknown aspect for a change.