PackAttack

Lufkin Panther Football 2017

From what I,m reading on the team, with all the new kids coming ,not sure on who the qb will be...then looks like a sub-par year coming up.Defense had better improve if we are going too do anything.plus the same coaching staff which I knew would not change, my hopes are not very good

Hope you all are doing well out there.  Flu bug is running rampant around some folks. Have nothing sports wise to talk about. Lost my salt about what goes on now.  Just wanted to stay in contact. Take care.

You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot. - Matthew 5:13

7 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Hope you all are doing well out there.  Flu bug is running rampant around some folks. Have nothing sports wise to talk about. Lost my salt about what goes on now.  Just wanted to stay in contact. Take care.

You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot. - Matthew 5:13

I hope you're doing well too PA. Very true about the flu. Be safe everyone. As for football though, It's nothing to really say about the program right now. I think nine guys for the Pack signed last week, which was the only news for us this month. I think Kordell was the only one that signed with a university that I was familiar with (Texas State). Some of the kids like Garcia have been going to camps (Nike camp). Others have been visiting colleges (Malik, Davis, Phillips and Savon). Garcia as well. I think that's the only news from the football side though. I guess we'll have spring football in a few months. Other than wondering who the next QB and RB will be, not really looking forward to it. 

Yea the bug has been giving my household fits the last few weeks. My 1 year old son the most ? . But like PA says, I'm just not really excited about much right now. I've been taking my daughter to watch the softball team play, they're really good again. The baseball team should be fine as well. 

On 2/10/2017 at 5:45 PM, PackAttack said:

Got to win

Well said. Off-topic, but Marshall is now looking for a coach. I think Texas High, Hallsville and now Marshall are all searching for a new HC. I wish we were on that list...

They are all looking to get back to playoff football again. I am starting to believe there is just a shortage of really good coaches who know how to build and maintain a program. They have to have the chemistry with the players, many times they are looking to move up to better competition and pay so they don't stay long. There a lot of schools looking for good coaching right now and I'm not sure it's out there today.

I went and watched the girls softball game last night, they really didn't play well. I think they made the mistake of taking Hudson a tad lighter than they should have. Since they blanked them the weekend before. They are going to be fine. If they stay healthy they should make a lengthy run again. Even in 6A 

We have been down for sure. Not going to critique coaching because I am not running the program. The football programs critique will rise or fall on it's OWN merit in the end. Sure, I have personal opinions just as many other people do, but I will also be the first to admit I don't hold the clip board either.

There is an old saying " In the land of the blind, the One Eyed Man is King."  So, I am content to let this phase of Lufkin Panther football play out. Win or lose,  I am there to support it, it changes nothing for me. I guess the question is, Do I support these coaches?  Yes I do,  for as long as they are here. Bottom  line is my opinion in the grand scheme of things means very little here or anywhere in the LISD for that matter.   Football programs are a dime a dozen out there and most of them are NOT winning programs . Lufkin is no different, you have a special coach come along with a special group of talented kids and you win for a while. You see it at lots of programs. The coach that made it happen is no longer there , the talent cycle is less and things change. Just the way it is, you can name a hundred schools just like us who have passed through such times in their football programs. It has just taken me a little longer to accept that we may or may not pass that way again, like we did between 1998-2006. Those years were special, more special to me as family than you can imagine,  never to be replicated again in my particular life time. Everyone is grown and gone their separate ways, but what a great ride it was. 

Just do not know what the future holds for Lufkin football , right now it just looks like a blank piece of paper to me and that is good, no judgements, just watching football and see what happens.  It should be fun anyway.

This is so true. It is also what happens when the UIL allows 3rd and 4th place finishers into the playoffs. Over time, your program doesn't strive so much to win district but just place in the top 4. I read a team site the other day that stated how they had made the playoffs 9 years in a row, then you looked a the records and discover they had NEVER won the district they were playing. By the way, 7 of those 9 so called playoff years,  this program was the 3rd or 4th place team.  This is what we teach our kids today. You can make the playoffs as a LOSER with a 3-7 or 4-6 record.

I'm hoping for 5A. If we drop down next season, I think Lv and JT will still be in 6A. So, we won't be playing against our rival in the first round. May not matter with our luck and coaching staff, but still I'm hoping we drop down. I'm definitely not expecting it though. We have A LOT of kids in the middle school from what I understand..

The great thing about being around so long , you get to observe programs around the State. Some, like Katy stay strong because they filter top kids through their Middle School system from other schools in their district. The other Katy schools hate them for it. Many just evolve a different way because of demographics, population shifts, coaching changes, district expansion, talent drop or whatever. Many one school towns who have had successful football programs seem to go in 7-10 year cycles. Lufkin is no exception. There are some really good talent in the Lufkin system down at the Middle School level and the freshmen we had last year. Want to say something right now on my part. I really DO NOT have a real problem at all with our high school coaches. Where our kids get short changed is at the Middle school level. I have talked to lots of Dads with kids in Middle School football and most say the exact same thing to me. They are very frustrated because they say those coaches don't really try to teach them, they are just looking for athletes to move to the Varsity. This went on when Outlaw was here too, so it's nothing new.  It is pretty much the consensus of most Dads today and back then who talked to me. The similarities are so ironic. My point is,  we have some pretty good talent coming up the ranks in the next few years, the cycle is reversing IMO. 

So what do we do with it. I see lots of coaching staffs around the State, ours is not perfect but they do have some winning credentials, their pedigree from Outlaw's influence is on their side. Many other staffs do not have that experience. Do I always agree with them? No,  but I respect them and could not do a better job than they do. 

Our time will return someday, I have a different perspective of things now days. Certain things happen in one's life  to remind one of what is truly important in the grandeur scheme of things. I have crossed that bridge twice now since last football season,  so my judgment needs to be less selfish and more selfless to this program again.

Our Lufkin kids have a tradition of fighting hard and not backing down against anyone we play. I saw that in our boys basketball team this year, does not matter the talent level we have, those kids have that in their Lufkin blood.  Think I forgot about that. 

Looking forward to see what transpires in the fall.

Lufkin Panthers' 2017 football schedule

Sept. 1: at Longview

Sept. 8: Nacogdoches

Sept. 15: John Tyler

Sept. 22: Monterrey Prepa Tec

Sept. 29: at College Park

Oct. 6: The Woodlands

Oct. 20: at Beaumont West Brook

Oct. 27: Oak Ridge

Nov. 3: at Conroe

Nov. 10: Montgomery

All games at 7:30 p.m

The Panthers have 6 HOME games.  

Story by  Brandon Ogden with The Lufkin Daily News, his email address is bogden@lufkindailynews.com

The Battle on the Border event in Shreveport, Louisiana, that Lufkin had competed in the past three seasons has been changed from the third week of the season to the second for 2017. That’s the same weekend the Panthers are scheduled to host rival Nacogdoches, forcing the Panthers to withdraw from the event.

John Tyler was in the same situation and also had Week 3 open up, so the Panthers and Lions decided to renew their rivalry.

“They decided to change the date, so it kicked us and John Tyler out,” Lufkin head football coach Todd Quick said. “It worked out where we could play them. We flipped a coin and won, so they will come down here this one time.”

“I think we will get the challenges we need,” Quick said. “That’s what the whole non-district is for, to get you ready for the district race and playoff run.”

With the way the playoffs are set up, it’s likely Lufkin will open the playoffs against either Longview or John Tyler — both non-district opponents of the Panthers — given that all three teams reach the postseason.

“We don’t view it as a negative,” Quick said of the likelihood of playing either Longview or John Tyler twice. “They have to play us twice also. We could find somebody else not as good to play, but we don’t want to do that. We see it as preparation, and we definitely need to get ourself ready.”

Well, neither kids has ANY Varsity experience. Healthy competition may produce a starter by district play. I am sure someone will surface as the best choice.

My choice regardless of athleticism would be the QB with the best decision making ability. Period

Marshall is about to hire former Desoto HC and SMU assistant, Claude Mathis. I'm wishing our HC position was open. I didn't think he would really come to the pines, especially to a 5A school. Good hire for them if true..

Marshall is wanting to get back to their glory days with this hire. However, as we have discussed,  you need to have the talent too. Hope things work out for them.

How many coaches are available for hire out there who have been part of winning a State Championship, much less Three Championships. Todd Quick has been a part of three State Football Championships in his career,  none on his own of course but the experience is there. I am sure he would like one for himself before he decideds to retire. Anyway, we have some pedigree here in Lufkin, that lots of folks do not. Whether it's time has passed here or not will bear out in the results I guess.  I know we have not been happy lately about how our seasons have ended the last few years, but be sure and know that Quick and his staff work really hard at what they do. This game is a matter of Xs and Os and how bad a bunch of kids want to win.   Philosophy and change does not always transpire to something better.  

Marshall went for a big hire they think will help them. They have gone through 2 or 3 of those lately, so no gaurantee here either. Best of luck to them. 

Up to you guys.....who out there do you think would like to come to Lufkin to coach???  Just a question to bounce around, cause i am okay with things as long as Quick or the LISD are okay with things. 

The only team I care about is Lufkin, which makes me pretty single minded there. 

I wanted Fedora or Mathis, now both are gone. I don't think Surratt is leaving Carthage. So, not sure what coaches are out there now. Peaster from Parkway tried to get the Marshall job, but I'm not really a fan of him personally. It seems He's a good offensive minded coach though. I just think we need to make change. We've had too many losses in the first round with the talent that we've had over the years. Like I told Mav on smoaky, it's not like we're winning district and competing for titles now. I understand the risks, but let's be honest, we're not doing much now anyways. Give someone else a chance to bring life back into this program. I don't see the problem with that. I'm not satisfied with the points we give up basically every week, especially when we have a defensive guy as the HC. Those problems on defense haven't been fixed since he's been here. It's not just on the kids or the change in play. We suck on that side. I'm not satisfied with just making the playoffs, when three other teams from our district also have the chance to make it now. I'm not satisfied with just beating scrubadoches. They don't matter. I want more and y'all should too. I like Quick, but he's not getting the job done. That's just my opinion though. I hope everyone enjoyed their break (if they had one).