PackAttack

Lufkin Panther Football 2017

Thought it best to move over to a new year and leave the past behind us.   Still need the fresh eyes of reason and thoughts on the make up of the 2017 team.  So I know some have made a few comments on what you expect this year, you may want to repost to get it over on this side of the calendar .    It looks like replacing some very good key parts of last years team will be interesting at best.

From what little I know, the Wilson brothers will be up on the OL together.  Brandon was Varsity last year, will be a Senior and brother Bryson was on the JV last year as a sophomore, Then you will have Andrew Ehrlich who played both Varsity and JV last year up as a junior .  All are fairly tall and good size.  Returning there will be  Hunter Hollis, Quynton Cole and  I think Christian Simmons got some playing time too. RBs will be Tre Grant and they may move Isaiah Phillips to RB, we will see. Do not know who comes up from the JV., maybe Tyler McNeal.   

QB will probably be a duo this year with Dillon McDuffie and Kwone Thomas from the JV  sharing some time and finding out the best of the two. Little if any real Varsity experience.  Really interesting situation there.  WRs  we return some good people there in Malik Jackson and Breylon Garcia, if he has not gotten too big and they put him at DE. I mean if the kid is 6'6" and 220 lbs where does he play?  Don't know if Jeremiah Davis stays at S or moves back to WR.  This offense is going to be filling some big boots.

On D I understand Jackson Treadwell is moving to LB, he has lost from 235 to about 190 to play there. Really good LB  from the freshman team may crack the Varsity, name is Harville. 

The D overall will stay pretty much intact from last year, we lose Olvera and Grigsby at LB and Jackson Sorrell at DE..  You get lots of experience back on D this year. You hope they play better.  They are going to need to, unless Green can work his magic . Lots of decisions on the table to be made. The D really has the most experience returning, you have to hope for better on that side.

Savon has a brother that plays RB but I can't remember his name.   Played on the freshman team last year and is supposed to be really fast. Was a little small in stature last year but hopefully can put on a little more muscle and can contribute this year.

Terrance fields? I think him and Jaylin Polk will start or at least contribute and see a lot of time on the field this coming season.  They were fish last year. That fish group is a talented bunch though. I'm praying we drop down and this staff doesn't screw it up. It is what it is. Like Chad said, we can't control it..

Lufkin and John Tyler both backing out of BOTB in 2017.

John Tyler @ Lufkin Week 3 instead.

Thank Goodness.  All you do over there is get screwed over by the LA officials, BOBT committee match ups stink and the Independence Stadium is quite substandard for hosting a bowl game every year.

The way it looks there is a lack of quality coaching throughout the State.  As you add more and more schools, that has become an issue.  Many of the better coaching staffs stay where they are having success or they do like the Cedar Hill coach did and join the Baylor staff. CH had NEVER made the playoffs before Joey McGuire came to that school.   When really good HC coaches leave or retire or pass away,there is not always a strong replacement waiting in the wings.  You just go down the list of coaching changes and 90% are resigning or leaving with losing records.    Katy gets a new HS and the Katy High OC takes the new job, not a bad fit.  You look at Tyler Lee swapping coaches all the time since Owens left, Huntington NEVER making the playoffs in 40 years of playing football.  Lots of schools out there losing coaches who have never experienced success of any kind.

I have never been one to roll the dice that just any young gun can come in and turn a program into a winner, you look at the proven guys like John Outlaw who was highly successful everywhere he coached, two SC at Arkadelphia in 11 years, turning Sherman High into a State contender in 7 years when they had never been anything previous and then hired to come to Lufkin because of that success.  He did the same here and won another SC and made the Lufkin High football  the best winning program consistently it had ever been over a 17 year time here.  How do you duplicate that kind of success? Those are the guys you look for to lead your program, you have to pay them the $$$, but as long as the results are produced , who cares.  The really good program builders are far and few between now days.  What do you do?   Right now we seem so far from the contender roll in Texas High School football whether it be 6A or 5A.  All of our true football playoff successes are all more than a decade behind us here at Lufkin, in fact it has been 11 years since we were in the 5A Semi Finals against Southlake in 2005. Then again we are not a flailing program now either, we still have some merit of grit and expectations that linger in the air.  Just on the cusp of something positive and seemingly good, only to fall  when it counts the most is hard to figure out.    If I am not mistaken the Lufkin football program the last 5 years is 34-23 ( a .596 winning percentage) ( 9-4, 5-6, 6-5, 7-4 and 7-4) and 2-5  (.285) in the playoffs.  ( 4 of the 5 seasons are above .500 and winning seasons) Thankfully we are not Huntington or even Nacogdoches, if you know what i mean.  It is tough out there to get solid quality coaching to stick anywhere and I want to believe some of that crazy successful football knowledge that John Outlaw had here and Sherman and Arkadelphia has been passed on to Todd Quick and Scott Green, the only two guys left on the staff that originally came with Outlaw to Lufkin in 1995.  It is frustrating and hard to figure out all at the same time because you can't tell how close or far off our program is to being playoff successful again. Always hoping for better. Not giving up.

PA, my question to you after that post would be do you think if Outlaw was still here would be closer to playoff success or even had better success over the last few years? In my mind, I would say no. 

No, because he was winding down on the retirement trail. The slide for him and the program started in 2006 when  Round Rock upset us in the 2ND round. He and the program were never  the same again until he passed away and has not been again to this day.  These guys here have 10 years of good coaching left in them, was hoping Outlaw"s influence would carried over better for us through them. The program was in a slide for the last 5 years with Outlaw before he passed away in 2011.

That coach has not been on the coaching staff in 3 or 4 years now, I think he is an elementary principal now. He had some administrative pull to get his coaching position here anyway. If I were Dez , I would send him a big ugly nasty fruit cake every year for Christmas just to remind him he was wrong. ?

3 hours ago, PackAttack said:

That coach has not been on the coaching staff in 3 or 4 years now, I think he is an elementary principal now. He had some administrative pull to get his coaching position here anyway. If I were Dez , I would send him a big ugly nasty fruit cake every year for Christmas just to remind him he was wrong. ?

Lol ??

On 1/16/2017 at 10:20 PM, PackAttack said:

Lufkin and John Tyler both backing out of BOTB in 2017.

John Tyler @ Lufkin Week 3 instead.

Thank Goodness.  All you do over there is get screwed over by the LA officials, BOBT committee match ups stink and the Independence Stadium is quite substandard for hosting a bowl game every year.

Is this confirmed?  Where did you hear it from? Also what about that other preseason game when we played Monterrey Tech,  who will we play this year?  And when do games start, I thought week 3 was Nac at home, it was at Nac last year.

10 minutes ago, Former Stallion said:

Is this confirmed?  Where did you hear it from? Also what about that other preseason game when we played Monterrey Tech,  who will we play this year?  And when do games start, I thought week 3 was Nac at home, it was at Nac last year.

I posted it last month about us not going back to Shreveport and playing JT. I got it from Wolf and I think he got it from ETSN and the JT coach. Nac was the second game of  the season last year, JT should be the third. They don't go by week 0 anymore, so the JT game should be week 3. The Monterrey game is a two year deal from my understanding, so we'll play them again at Abe. We'll obviously play Longview at lobo in week 1. That's basically the preseason schedule. Lobo on the road for week 1 and then three home games against Nac, JT and Monterrey before district. 

Ok, that helps. District games should be in the same order just flipped from last year depending on if it was home or away, correct?  Bye week still the same? Also is school starting August 28th with the first game that Friday?

The first game should be either the 25th (it was the 26th last season) or the first week of September. Not sure about the district schedule until they release them, but it should be the same as last year just flipped like you've said, because there wasn't realignment. 

The bye week was after the Woodz game last season, it should be the same. I'm guessing the schedules will be released next month, so hopefully we'll know for sure..

I've changed my mind. We will go 6-4, not 4-6. Beat nac, Mexico, CP, OR, Conroe, and Montgomery. Lose to lobos, cujo, woods and Westbrook. Then get beat in round 1 of course. We could go 10-0 and lose in round 1 lol 

Like chad said, that's nothing we can control. I'm not worrying about it, if the people at the top don't give a you know what. I just hope we can get lucky and our talent can take us to the next round, because that's the only way we're making to the 2nd round again imo. It won't be the coaching. As for the WB game, I wonder how good they will be without their coach. He wasn't a great coach, but I think he had them better prepared than our staff and playing well up until he was suspended.

46 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

Like chad said, that's nothing we can control. I'm not worrying about it, if the people at the top don't give a you know what. I just hope we can get lucky and our talent can take us to the next round, because that's the only way we're making to the 2nd round again imo. It won't be the coaching. As for the WB game, I wonder how good they will be without their coach. He wasn't a great coach, but I think he had them better prepared than our staff and playing well up until he was suspended.

I agree. As for Westbrook, they will most likely hire someone that can out coach our staff. So results probably won't be different, especially going to Beaumont 

Well, It is going to be whatever it's going to be.   I always said Quick needs to find his own way, keep the Outlaw parts that work for him. I believe he has tried to walk too long in Outlaws shadow when he needs to be forging HIS own trail.