Jump to content
PackAdmin

2016 Lufkin Panther Football

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

Interesting how we "stack up" in the poles.  Woods, Longview and the Pack... 

See my old Alma Mater 8th in 5A

Edited by PantherDad
added comment. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Pack007 said:

Interesting, do not like pre seson polls and really can not understand a #18 ranking with what we have not done lately,  Also checked out the 5A polls and did not see any Jacksonville, Lindale, Corsicana or Whitehouse on that list anywhere.  Ennis, Texarkana and Marshall good choices.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went by practice for 5 minutes and had trouble finding 83 players to count. I am sure a few more will show later or when school starts, maybe some need to work or something. Anyway will drive by again today and see if those same numbers jive and let you know tonight. Afraid we are a 6A with 5A player numbers.  Read somewhere yesterday that Texas High had 260 and Longview 210, even Marshall had like 175.  Hope my count numbers go up today. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

Went by practice for 5 minutes and had trouble finding 83 players to count. I am sure a few more will show later or when school starts, maybe some need to work or something. Anyway will drive by again today and see if those same numbers jive and let you know tonight. Afraid we are a 6A with 5A player numbers.  Read somewhere yesterday that Texas High had 260 and Longview 210, even Marshall had like 175.  Hope my count numbers go up today. 

Agreed...  Not sure, but have our Freshmen reported?  That could be a difference in numbers "viewed" and numbers reported. That would make more sense with what Coach discussed at the meeting of " We have 170 in the football program with an average of 80-90 freshman coming into the freshman program each year."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on the numbers and dates above, my ruff math says that over that time period: 1) 10% reduction in total student population; 2) 30% reduction in football (freshman) ... and went up in classification. If you are a member of the coaching staff - What can you do? Or say? Or do/say nothing - just go about your business doing the best you can?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Went by practice for 5 minutes and had trouble finding 83 players to count. I am sure a few more will show later or when school starts, maybe some need to work or something. Anyway will drive by again today and see if those same numbers jive and let you know tonight. Afraid we are a 6A with 5A player numbers.  Read somewhere yesterday that Texas High had 260 and Longview 210, even Marshall had like 175.  Hope my count numbers go up today. 

I don't think those Texas High numbers from smoaky were accurate. Not even Lv had that many. I hope your count goes up too. We can't do anything in 6A and our district with those numbers lol. I'll probably be there tomorrow to see the boys in pads. I know that I'm going to the scrimmage next week though. Hopefully by then, we'll have better numbers..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

on the lighter side and thought some of you would appreciate - pic of my 8 year old helping out today at a community event (burgers, snow cones, etc) at Southland Rehab, he went with his beast squad shirt (yea right) but note the ball cap he picked to wear :) 

JackBeastSquad.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SCRIMMAGE WEEK!!!  This will be a good week to build skill and understanding!  I know they are ready to strap on the helmets and hit someone other than their own teammates.  The boys are confident.  They are ready for the season to begin!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Former Stallion said:

What is the time and cost of the scrimmage game this week?

It's free, at least I would hope it is. It's a scrimmage lol. The fish start at 5, JV at 6 and then varsity is supposed to hit the field at 7pm on Friday. The weather may change some things though..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A little info on the scrimmage with Huntsville this Friday.   The Freshman and JV will scrimmage at the same time at 5 PM on each end of the field.  With scrimmage snaps against 1s and 2s,  10 snaps per possession.   The Varsity will start at 6 PM with warm ups by both teams, Scrimmage will start at 6:30 PM.  The first 20 minintes will be skilled kids 7 on 7 in full pads on one end of the field.  At the same time the O line and D lines will be on the other end of the field working on run and pass blocking against each other.   The the scrimmage will conclude with 2 live quarters of football with referees .   The kicking game and special teams will be worked on as well without tackling.    Will be a little different than we have seen before but much better than the 3 way scrimmage we had last year.  It really showed the first week we played Longview because we did not get enough reps in that scrimmage.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay. I have an update on the Lufkin football program numbers that make a lot more sense and make me feel much better.  There are 87 players on the Varsity with only 80 jerseys available, so 7 of those kids will eventually be on the JV team.   There are 65 JV players and 75 Freshman players with 20 more expected when school starts.   The kids who show up two weeks late are not allowed to play the first two weeks and must complete the same 2 week preparation as the players who came in on time.   Those numbers are directly from Coach Quick.

 

So currently there are 227 kids practicing in the program with as many as 20 more Freshman expected next Monday when school begins,

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MEET the Panthers will be NEXT Tuesday ,August 23rd @ 7 PM. 

 

There will be a football game next Thursday night at Abe Martin @ 7 PM between Beckville and Anderson- Shiro .  ( Over near Roans Prairie SW of Huntsville )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Okay. I have an update on the Lufkin football program numbers that make a lot more sense and make me feel much better.  There are 87 players on the Varsity with only 80 jerseys available, so 7 of those kids will eventually be on the JV team.   There are 65 JV players and 75 Freshman players with 20 more expected when school starts.   The kids who show up two weeks late are not allowed to play the first two weeks and must complete the same 2 week preparation as the players who came in on time.   Those numbers are directly from Coach Quick.

 

So currently there are 227 kids practicing in the program with as many as 20 more Freshman expected next Monday when school begins,

 

 

Why the limit on Jerseys?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Former Stallion said:

Why the limit on Jerseys?

They only have 80 Varsity jerseys.   Only counted 69 in that team photo??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, PackAttack said:

They only have 80 Varsity jerseys.   Only counted 69 in that team photo??

Yea...I think 69. I think we only had 65 or 66 in the team photo last season, but I think 72 were listed on the official program roster. I guess some were working...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On August 15, 2016 at 6:12 PM, Pack007 said:

It's free, at least I would hope it is. It's a scrimmage lol. The fish start at 5, JV at 6 and then varsity is supposed to hit the field at 7pm on Friday. The weather may change some things though..

The hornets are saying the Varsity will now start at 6:30.    https://mobile.twitter.com/thehornetnation/status/765639553407254528

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×