PackAdmin

2016 Lufkin Panther Football

Back in Feb I posted/predicted 2nd or 3rd in district, I'm still there.

My gut on first 4 games: Huntsville and Nac should be "stat games" for Pack offense - just out score them. I'm guessing my first opinion changer will be the Packs defensive front 7 (new guys) vs. Longview (regardless of win/loss). Parkway is my unknown (right now) but they were legit last year. I have family/in-laws there so the "scouts" are out (yep, BBQ with in-laws that weekend is already in the works). After 4 games, the Pack could be from 4-0 too 2-2 and I could still see 2nd or 3rd in District. But if Huntsville or Nac is able to run or control the ball on the Packs front 7 (win or lose) ... when does the basketball season start? :) 

Interesting.  I think that the community should be supportive of this team, the kids and the coaches.  But, that is just me and how I view and perceive high school sports.  It is not like they are recruited - it is the kids that live in a community.  Crazy I know... 

Beyond that, I concur that we need to see how the D gels.  Anytime you have new faces, that is a looming question.  The kids are ready and the coaches are ready.  The team had a good spring and frankly have worked their tails off to get stronger, faster, better athletically all summer.  Will take some lumps early perhaps, but I think they will get it fairly quick.  Coaching the fundamentals.  Coaching discipline and doing your assignment will get them prepared.  Execution is up to the kiddos.

Excited about a new sophomore DT coming on board this year. Do not remember his name, 6ft 4 in 285 lb kid , one of the hardest working guys in the off season.

Coach Quick stated tonight it was good to get started.  That this off season summer conditioning has been the best in several years. Said our starting 22 will match up well with any 22 in our district.  Talked about the kids had such a high retention of what they did in the spring and 7 on 7 that half way through practice they just started putting in the new schemes. A big positive because that usually does not happen until the 2nd week.  Main thing was getting the kids there and getting started. Pads on Friday.

I expect a good season this year and I hope a 3rd round game at least. Go Pack

Sterling Meyers is the former soccer player for the Pack that will take over the kicking and punting duties for the football team. He also kicked for football when he was in school!

He will also teach English! Great kid!

On August 8, 2016 at 10:39 AM, JacksDad said:

Back in Feb I posted/predicted 2nd or 3rd in district, I'm still there.

My gut on first 4 games: Huntsville and Nac should be "stat games" for Pack offense - just out score them. I'm guessing my first opinion changer will be the Packs defensive front 7 (new guys) vs. Longview (regardless of win/loss). Parkway is my unknown (right now) but they were legit last year. I have family/in-laws there so the "scouts" are out (yep, BBQ with in-laws that weekend is already in the works). After 4 games, the Pack could be from 4-0 too 2-2 and I could still see 2nd or 3rd in District. But if Huntsville or Nac is able to run or control the ball on the Packs front 7 (win or lose) ... when does the basketball season start? :) 

I'll be looking at both lines in the scrimmage against Huntsville. We're bringing back new guys on the d-line and our O-line struggled protecting Kordell last season imo. So I really want to see both over the next few weeks. We should dominate Huntsville with the players that we have returning though. As for expectations, I'm just not sure anymore. I'm hoping we can make a run with the talent that we have returning. We have another good group of seniors that I hope can get over the first round hump and do something special this season. Just don't know. Woodlands and some tough teams in district and then of course, Longview again or JT will more than likely be waiting in the first round. It won't be easy, but we may have that game at home if we can finish as the top team in our district in D2. 

Coach Quick told us in our meeting that they have 6 defensive lineman to rotate, young a DE but high on their ability. Said they are overloaded with Guards , 4 returning players.  Have two good tackles,  but guards will need to play some tackle. Looking to rotate 6-7 kids through out the season. They pretty much know what they have in both lines.  It is a matter of coming together now, more so on the OL.  They have hired a new asst OL coach and DL coach. Did not catch his name, but I think he has either coached or played  here, from Katy area.

He was asked that question and said there were 90 freshmen and about 83 Varsity and JV.  Made the comparison that back in 2004-2005 we had an enrollment of 2412 and about 250 kids in the football program. Said the enrollment will be at least 2150 in September and we have 173 in the program.  Discussed the fact of the dynamics of the student base has changed ( more Hispanics) at LHS and as a result fewer kids coming out to play football. He said just a few years ago it was a guarantee to get 125-130 freshman from the middle school. Also mentioned might get a few more players coming back next week and after school starts but that the bulk of the Varsity  starters were in camp on Day 1. 

PA,

that is a big deal only having 173 when a few years back it was 230. That is less talent to pick from and the bigger schools in 6a have way more and depth becomes a issue IMO. I do expect them to go 3 rnds that should always be the expectation. GO Pack

Coach did comment needing to use his best 30-35 players on both sides of the ball, rotating some of them situationally, both ways, to stay fresh and counter their depth issue.  Have some real good 1s and 2s he said but talent drops off very quickly with the rest. Staying healthy is key and also the reason off season conditioning has had an elevated emphasis this summer. 

15 hours ago, Pack007 said:

I'll be looking at both lines in the scrimmage against Huntsville. We're bringing back new guys on the d-line and our O-line struggled protecting Kordell last season imo. So I really want to see both over the next few weeks. We should dominate Huntsville with the players that we have returning though. As for expectations, I'm just not sure anymore. I'm hoping we can make a run with the talent that we have returning. We have another good group of seniors that I hope can get over the first round hump and do something special this season. Just don't know. Woodlands and some tough teams in district and then of course, Longview again or JT will more than likely be waiting in the first round. It won't be easy, but we may have that game at home if we can finish as the top team in our district in D2. 

We sure need the Trenches to gel and show out early.  I know a concern that exists with new starters is game speed as well as staying disciplined in assignments.  If coaches can get that engrained it will go a long way towards consistency.  Consistency will help foster success.  My gut tells me there is more concern about OL than DL at this point.  If you have suspect OL for protection purposes, hit the quick passes early to set up down-field.  On D, let that experienced DB and LB crew buy time and coverage to allow less experienced DL time to learn the ropes and get acclimated.

I am just ready to get to that first scrimmage and let them guys beat up on someone else.  :)

GO PACK!!!

8 minutes ago, PantherDad said:

We sure need the Trenches to gel and show out early.  I know a concern that exists with new starters is game speed as well as staying disciplined in assignments.  If coaches can get that engrained it will go a long way towards consistency.  Consistency will help foster success.  My gut tells me there is more concern about OL than DL at this point.  If you have suspect OL for protection purposes, hit the quick passes early to set up down-field.  On D, let that experienced DB and LB crew buy time and coverage to allow less experienced DL time to learn the ropes and get acclimated.

I am just ready to get to that first scrimmage and let them guys beat up on someone else.  :)

GO PACK!!!

Agree