Sign in to follow this  
Chadalac05

Lufkin Panther Sports

4 hours ago, PackAdmin said:

Scott Williams was from Longview also.

I knew that. However, Scott did allow the kids to play current music and hits. After watching the lobo band for many years, this new band director doesn't seem like the type to allow that in the stands. I did like what the Lobos did on the field with the rockin L, but in the stands they were very boring. 

The Longview director resigned this week. Parents say he resigned due to one of his assistant directors being fired for a verbal altercation with a disrespectful student. I'm sure we'll hear more on that one later.

So is Scott Williams no longer with the Lufkin Band, I liked him and what he did for the band.  I thought  he was great director.  I noticed the band director position posted but I thought it was maybe an assistant.

13 hours ago, PackAdmin said:

The Longview director resigned this week. Parents say he resigned due to one of his assistant directors being fired for a verbal altercation with a disrespectful student. I'm sure we'll hear more on that one later.

I find it funny that LISD can find a way to keep that idiot James Wilcox around as superintendent...

But somehow managed to lose a set of great band directors because of some some rude, self entitled kids and their delusional parents. I've just about had it with LISD...priorities are all jacked up! 

IQSK4Qy.gif?noredirect

6 hours ago, Former Stallion said:

So is Scott Williams no longer with the Lufkin Band, I liked him and what he did for the band.  I thought  he was great director.  I noticed the band director position posted but I thought it was maybe an assistant.

I think he's retiring. 

Doesn't surprise me.   He has had a long and great run at Lufkin, made us a TOP NOTCH marching band program.  Anything Longview bothers me, even though Scott came from there.  Just hope the Panther Bands traditions will continue as they always have been.

Quick said something in the Outlaw Movie that caught my attention,  He said  " we are not a football factory now, we are about educating kids and giving them the best chance to succeed in life ".   Maybe I took that statement to heart a little wrong but it did not make me feel completely good either.  Any thoughts here?.   

Just for clarification, There is talk about Williams retiring at the end of the school year. All is normal for now as they prepare to go to UIL Concert Contest next week in Whitehouse. I understand the process of a replacement is in the VERY early stages with the postings so you can cease with the rumors. The Panther Band has a rich tradition of being one the most outstanding military marching bands around. With a program like this, I'm confident the Lufkin Administrators will find the very best fit for our program. The Lufkin Band doesn't rebuild, they don't even reload, they just keep going with who they are and what they do. I'm confident the LP Band is and will be in good hands. 

On 4/20/2016 at 7:43 PM, PackAttack said:

Quick said something in the Outlaw Movie that caught my attention,  He said  " we are not a football factory now, we are about educating kids and giving them the best chance to succeed in life ".   Maybe I took that statement to heart a little wrong but it did not make me feel completely good either.  Any thoughts here?.   

I think with this statement you have to take it in the moment it was said. Most times editing leaves out context to support any statement. As I hear it: there is not a coach out there in any sport that doesn't approach every game to win. That should go without question, but, at the end of the day what's more important, giving a high school kid the tools to be successful in the future, or being able to live in the past. If all the program is there for is to win games and nothing else, then we are failures on a grander scale. Not every athlete has the tools to make it to a college team. It's not rocket surgery to know the odds of even 4 year college athlete to make it to the pro level is not any better, so in the end, what will the other 99.9% of the other players on the team get from it? Hopefully the students are lucky enough to have teachers/coaches who instill work ethic and prepare them for other life endeavors. Do your best and have fun doing it when you're in High School, but realize that for most while living in that moment you are preparing for the future. That's it what i take from a statement such as this!  

On April 20, 2016 at 7:43 PM, PackAttack said:
6 hours ago, LHS 78 said:

I think with this statement you have to take it in the moment it was said. Most times editing leaves out context to support any statement. As I hear it: there is not a coach out there in any sport that doesn't approach every game to win. That should go without question, but, at the end of the day what's more important, giving a high school kid the tools to be successful in the future, or being able to live in the past. If all the program is there for is to win games and nothing else, then we are failures on a grander scale. Not every athlete has the tools to make it to a college team. It's not rocket surgery to know the odds of even 4 year college athlete to make it to the pro level is not any better, so in the end, what will the other 99.9% of the other players on the team get from it? Hopefully the students are lucky enough to have teachers/coaches who instill work ethic and prepare them for other life endeavors. Do your best and have fun doing it when you're in High School, but realize that for most while living in that moment you are preparing for the future. That's it what i take from a statement such as this!  

Excellent post

On 4/20/2016 at 1:38 PM, LHS 78 said:

Very good post, Thanks

How did "we" cheat? Seems like a mistake to me. Adams said they didn't include the students that attended Stubblefield because they didn't have to include them in the past. If it's anyone's fault, it's the administrator that left. We shouldn't have to count those kids anyways. Several of those kids don't even live in Lufkin and they probably don't play sports. So, how did we cheat again?

What will happen? Can the soccer title be void? And the team wins? Crazy situation but I do think it was a mistake. 

Stubblefield kids are from all over and none play sports so im not understanding how they should be counted? Nobody seemed to mind when we would increase our enrollment by a couple hundred for special ed. Doesnt make any sense. 

Crazy man. So does the baseball/softball team still get to play the UIL has to do something soon? No matter what the Soccer team will be the champs and it's sad that the kids could get punished for this. Like how when players leave colleges and the players that are there years later get punished. 

An anonymous letter with no return address. Trash it and go on down the road. People that want to stir up crap after the fact and too coward to be accountable and put their name on the accusation. I call BS.

Yep PA, heard it was 5 or 6 schools who ever did it is a POS with no #alls to put his name on it. All they are going to do is hurt the kids. 

11 hours ago, PackAttack said:

An anonymous letter with no return address. Trash it and go on down the road. People that want to stir up crap after the fact and too coward to be accountable and put their name on the accusation. I call BS.

So we should be able to turn in lower numbers and not be accountable?  I hate it for those kids affected but it sounds like we were a 6a school playing 5a teams.  We can cry mistake, mistake but someone has to be accountable for that number. 

We should be accountable, Pa is saying just put your name on it. We have become a world of sissies and I have defended this country for the past 15 years of my life and will continue for another 5 and some days it makes me sad on the direction our country has become. 

And the adult who did this are no longer at the school. I can almost guarantee if this is Katy it's getting swept up. 

Bottom line here is if Lufkin High School is taking State money for those kids at Stubblefield  and Lufkin State Living Center, they must count them. Don't know the answer here,  our specific enrollment here in Lufkin these days will put us on borderline every realignment  between 5A and 6A participation. To most other schools it is not an issue because their numbers are firm in the column where they belong. The other schools in question are probably in the same boat as Lufkin.

Just need to get this fixed, take whatever medicine the UIL gives us, make better decisions in the future and move on down the line.

2 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Bottom line here is if Lufkin High School is taking State money for those kids at Stubblefield  and Lufkin State Living Center, they must count them. Don't know the answer here,  our specific enrollment here in Lufkin these days will put us on borderline every realignment  between 5A and 6A participation. To most other schools it is not an issue because their numbers are firm in the column where they belong. The other schools in question are probably in the same boat as Lufkin.

Just need to get this fixed, take whatever medicine the UIL gives us, make better decisions in the future and move on down the line.

Agree about the last part, we need to make better decisions in the future and move on.

On April 23, 2016 at 10:42 AM, PackAttack said:

Big "if"

On the other hand, what "if" they are not directly receiving state funds for them, but yet LHS is now instructed to count them even though they are not UIL elligable ? 

If you've been doing something that is considered right in the past, but because now you are ask to do it another way, does this automatically make you wrong? Let's be sensible and leave out the sensationalism. If UIL says now you have to count these non UIL eligible students, then do it and go forward. The only reason this makes any difference is because we float on the dividing line year after year for classification. Otherwise, it's just a policy issue and changes with the weather these days on just about any issue!  

11 hours ago, LHS 78 said:

Big "if"

On the other hand, what "if" they are not directly receiving state funds for them, but yet LHS is now instructed to count them even though they are not UIL elligable ? 

If you've been doing something that is considered right in the past, but because now you are ask to do it another way, does this automatically make you wrong? Let's be sensible and leave out the sensationalism. If UIL says now you have to count these non UIL eligible students, then do it and go forward. The only reason this makes any difference is because we float on the dividing line year after year for classification. Otherwise, it's just a policy issue and changes with the weather these days on just about any issue!  

Well "IF" they are not taking State funds for these kids for education, then I would not understand at all why LHS would need to count them.  Rules change, UIL always makes changes, but "IF" LHS is taking State funds, they must count them as students whether they are athletically involved or Not.  Doesn't matter.  Might be a good idea to privatize Stubblefield in the furture because all the schools in the area use them and then not have to count them in your enrollment. Do not know know enough about the Special Ed focus at the Lufkin State Living Center to comment.  Just a Simple mistake and misunderstanding of the rules IMO. Lets move on.