Sign in to follow this  
LHS 78

The Measure of Success?

I've heard of lot fans say a multitude things of how success is measured. Just curious if you had to pick one word (or phrase) of how you would measure success for the Pack this year. Would it be a winning season, district title, 3 deep playoff run, state title or nothing, players learn life lessons to be successful adults, teamwork, heart, 5 or 6 scholarship offers.........

Where does your barometer lay?

The fact that 85-90% of the kids playing football never put on a uniform again after high school tells me that life skills and how to be successful in the world are most important. At the same time football teaches trust, friendship, success in working together, discipline, learning to take instruction from coaching/Mentors, competitive spirit and respect for each other, your community and your opponent, which in essence are all great life skills training. Winning and success are a derivative of all of those things. Of course another run at State would be nice too. :)

Well said PA. I think this year a successful season for the Pack would be to at least get into the top two spots in district and to make a deep run in the playoffs. I would love to win state again, but I'm not sure if we could do it this season. I don't think it's championship or bust for this particular team. We've won district before and then lost in the first round. So, I wouldn't consider that a success. I think a successful season for this group would be a deep playoff run imo. Oh yea another thing.....Beat freakin NAC!!

Well said PA. I think this year a successful season for the Pack would be to at least get into the top two spots in district and to make a deep run in the playoffs. I would love to win state again, but I'm not sure if we could do it this season. I don't think it's championship or bust for this particular team. We've won district before and then lost in the first round. So, I wouldn't consider that a success. I think a successful season for this group would be a deep playoff run imo. Oh yea another thing.....Beat freakin NAC!!

..........2nd that motion! :)

Whether it is realistic or not for this years Pack, I would like to know they have that desire and want to win state. That they really think about going to the big dance this year or any year and if they dont get there, then they should make it their goal the next and the next, pass it on. I would like to think they are all on the same page in that area. Theses kids have worked really hard in the off season, it is time to set some personal goals on where you want to be remembered the next two years. Believe me, making those long playoff runs in December are a lot more fun that staying home to Christmas shop.

Success to me is that they "leave everything on the field" each game. When you put together games like that, you leave it knowing that you gave your best shot. Let's do it......one play at a time.

Oh and it does help boost morale when we win on top of that too.

Run the Annexation of Puerto Rico and score on it! End of discussion!

Lufkin wouldn't know whether to sh*t or go blind if they tried to run something like that.. It'd wind up like the end of the 2012 plano west game lol

Lufkin wouldn't know whether to sh*t or go blind if they tried to run something like that.. It'd wind up like the end of the 2012 plano west game lol

lol

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit picturing the end of that game.

Those moments are so depressing and the trouble is, most of the time you know it's about to happen, you just don't know how......you can ask my son, I can always sense when we are just not going to get it done. Load up and head to Lufkin trying to wonder what the heLL just happen AGAIN....

Those moments are so depressing and the trouble is, most of the time you know it's about to happen, you just don't know how......you can ask my son, I can always sense when we are just not going to get it done. Load up and head to Lufkin trying to wonder what the ------ just happen AGAIN....

Yessir. Exactly right

Measure of success is where your program can consistently be better than a .500 program, can beat the better teams, not just play them close, win more than two games in the playoffs every year. If you can not do that every year, your just any ordinary program out there, nothing special.

If "success" is defined as multiple playoff wins EVERY YEAR then what percentage of high school programs do that? How common is that?

OK, keep it simple - Let's just limit it to 20 straight years - how many high school programs win at least two playoff wins EVERY YEAR for 20 straight years?

OK, how about 10 years? I wonder what is the percentage of ALL high school programs win at least 2 playoff games EVERY YEAR for the past ten straight years? Historically, is it more common for 2A teams or 5A teams to meet this level of "success"?

Now take those 10 year to 20 year straight "successful" programs and look at them from a stand point of having better coaching or is it more talent? Are they "successful" because they have the best coaching in the country or do they have a talent base above the norm that feeds the talent pool? (employers? recruiting? geography? money/tax base? etc?)

Coaching vs. talent - Is one more important than the other to be "successful" every year?

Yes to those thoughts, deep questions with many opinions and angles to take. None would completely be explanatory enough to come to a base conclusion.

The demographics and face of past elite programs that have run their course are numerous. For example, Lufkin did not go to the playoffs on the average but every 6 or 7 years back when only one team made the playoffs, having limited success in those years they did make the playoffs. Along comes John Outlaw in 1995 that changed everything and because three and then four teams were then allowed into the playoffs we started having playoff success and won a State Championship and got close to three more. John was successful in Arkadelphia, Ark., Sherman Tx., and ending in Lufkin Tx. Texas Football history is littered with storied programs that no longer command the elite status they once had for several years in a row. You can go many years back to Austin Reagan, Plano, Odessa Permian, Midland Lee, Dallas Carter, North Shore, Stephenville and Converse Judson. Programs that use to rule the roost so to speak, either with outstanding talent or great coaching staffs. When one or both of those things ended they all moved down the ladder. I think that is where Lufkin is today and I wonder how long it took those fans above to realize those great days were gone for good. I figure at least 50% of Texas high football programs never expect to make the playoffs for various reasons, football is not their focal point, they are better at another sport, don't have the talent or the coaching. Football is big in Texas but not for all schools. If you check, with the exception of Katy and that is another story, well it has always amazed me how good Katy stays and the other 6 schools in that Katy district are scrubs. Anyway, back to my point, the One school districts seem to have more success that multiple school districts,. Look at the Fort Bend and Cy Fair districts , watered down talent, same with those 6 other teams in the Katy ISD. A recent upsurge has come from Mansfield schools, I am not sure what has all the sudden made Timberview and Lake Ridge and Summit such competitive programs, but there they are, all three ranked in the 5A top 10 this week. The measure of success in Texas High School football is consistently winning playoff games, maybe not vying for a Semi finals or State game every year, but being a presence in the playoffs, not a bunch of one and done years, that garners little respect in the State. Talent is important, it has to be, but good coaching is a premium, it is the guy who coaches well enough that he can still win with less talent than in their good years. It is the signature of a great coach, however the trade off many times is you could lose them to another school or college. School district expansion changes much for great programs, it did for Plano and Converse Judson, or the change of a coach as in the case of Dallas Carter, Midland Lee and Odessa Permian and in both of their cases oil and gas economic reasons too. You might add Southlake Carroll to that list. The measure of success has many faces, for Lufkin we dream for the days of yesteryear, however the master mind John Outlaw is gone , the talent is less than in many of those Outlaw years. Except we expect to win as we once did, the problem is Lufkin may be on that other side with Plano, OP, Lee and Carter. That is our measure of success because that is what John Outlaw brought to us and we still expect it today. We have recently had 5-6, 6-5 seasons and are presently 3-3 this year, this is unfamiliar territory for Lufkin fans and even though the program has dropped a class, we have not had the success of past years. It is tough, I know now what those other fans must have felt like when their team started sliding down the hill. Success in Texas High School Football is winning year after year for as long as you can. There are great teams of the past and there will be new elite teams in the future, as demographics change and districts grow and expand the faces will change but the success will always come with the winning. In Texas, that is the measure of success.