Sign in to follow this  
PackAttack

Congratulations to the Lufkin High School Marching Band, Headed to the Sugar Bowl

The Lufkin High School Marching Band has had an out standing year so far in 2014, receiving another #1 Rating in their UIL competition and winning the 5A State marching Contest NAMMB, National Association Military Marching Bands.

To top everything else off the Lufkin Band has also been chosen to perform at the 2015-2016 Sugar Bowl in New Orleans. Quite an honor for our kids from Lufkin Texas. I know a couple of years ago they marched at Disney World in Florida. We have an outstanding band program here in Lufkin under Scott Williams, we are so fortunate.

Lufkin News Article:

By MEGAN WHITWORTH/The Lufkin News

The Lufkin High School Panther marching band received an invite from WorldStrides Heritage Performance programs to perform at the Allstate Sugar Bowl for the 2015-16 college football game.

Under the direction of Scott Williams, the marching band will receive music to practice and then with other marching bands from across the country they will perform in the halftime show finale of the bowl game.

The Lufkin Band is unique in that we are a military marching band, Williams said. It is a traditional style of marching like Texas A&M University. We play marches and march in a six-to-five style. We are very proud of the military tradition we continue at Lufkin and are very excited to be a part of the Sugar Bowl.

The band also will participate in a competition against the other bands who are invited as well.

There will be a marching competition and we fully expect to win the marching competition and bring back a super trophy, Williams said.

The band is also working on raising funds for the trip. The band is currently selling cookie dough and all proceeds will go toward sponsoring the trip. Another option is for parents to pay $85 installments for six months.

We try to give the kids enough opportunity to raise a lot of the money, Williams said. Each kid will have to raise about $600. We are already talking with our booster club. We are going to have the March-A-Thon and that will be at the start of next year. In the spring, I think we are going to have a big garage sale and that will be somewhere big so people can get to it and support the band.

Williams said his goal is to bring 100 percent of the band.

Every trip you always leave 20 or 30 kids, that either didnt raise the money or whatever the case is, Williams said. My goal is for every kid to go, because they dont realize it until they miss it and then they go I wish I had gone. I want all of the band to go, I want all of the band to experience that.

And for some students, this will be a trip to last a lifetime.

For me this has been my best year of the 35 years Ive been teaching. The kids are great this year. They are hardworking, Williams said. I just think it will be a fun thing. Im into band directing for memories. My band director gave me the best memories of my life. We went to Atlanta, Ga., but it just wasnt the trips. It is also the competitions, like winning the state marching contest this year and that kind of stuff.

Megan Whitworths email address is mwhitworth@lufkindailynews.com.

Nice . Got my tickets thanks to the Navy and of course I live in Nola get to jere the Pack maybe some strivin

No doubt this is an opportunity for the kids to experience something special. Just this weekend during Mr Bullock's service, they were still talking about the 1977 Cotton Bowl trip with the LP Band, Lobo Band, and Jacksonville Band doing a combined drill for pre-game and halftime. A trip I will never forget and I know this Sugar Bowl trip will be just as special. Even though my youngest child is graduating this year, my wife mentioned we need to adopt an 8th grade band student so we could have 4 more years of band!