Lufkin Dunbar ?

http://lonestarfootball.net/team.asp?T=7237&S=1968

I found that there 2 years in the UIL 68 and 69 they where 17-1-2 and we all know about the 3 PVIL championships. What can you older guys tell me about Dunbar. What was the school colors ? How good where they ? Could they beat Lufkin back then ? Did they every play Lufkin in any sport ? What was the chances this could still be a HS today ? Like Dallas Lincoln,Houston Yates, FW Dunbar and a handful of others that refused to merge. I need help from the old timers. Any information would be great.

School colors were black and gold, I think they would have been good games against Lufkin High especially back in those State contending years for sure. Many would say that they were better than LHS. We will never know. I remember guys like D.C.Nobles at quarterback. Was young back in those days, but I lived only about 3 blocks from Panther Stadium(located where the old Boys & Girls Club is today) and would walk up to the games every Saturday night and watch those Tigers play. In 1968 when they played Dangerfield and lost 7-6 was a cold and icy day at old SFA stadium. Dangerfield lead most of the game 7-0 but Dunbar scored late and went for 2 and did not make it. They played in a district with Diboll that year, Diboll had a very good team with Nick Trout at RB but they were no match for Dunbar that year losing at Panther field 21-7.

When integration occurred for Lufkin in 1970, you had coaches like Willie Ross and Elmer Redd coming over to LHS, Redd would be at the U of H the next year coaching going there with Lufkin O lineman Everett Little and he was instrumental in several other Lufkin players going there while he was at the U of H.

To my knowledge, they did not play Lufkin in any sport that I recall because they were in the Prarieview League and then 2A UIL and Lufkin was 4A. Been a long time so I do not recall all things.

As far as being a HS today, this was a big part of the federal governments 1954 Brown vs the Board of Education desegregation act and Civil Rights Act of 1964 under president Democrat Lyndon Johnson and unanimously approved by the Supreme Court, made this a law. As far as the schools you mentioned are considered, they are integrated UIL schools today however are located in large areas that have majority black populations.

If I remember, desegregation came to a head again in the Supreme Court's 1971 decision, one of the first attempts to implement a large-scale urban desegregation plan. The proposal called for district-wide desegregation and allowed for the use of busing to achieve integration. Court-ordered busing, as it came to be known, was fiercely attacked, not least by the administration of President Richard Nixon. Busing was criticized as undermining the sanctity of neighborhood schools, as social engineering, as impractical and unworkable, and as intrusive and inappropriate judicial meddling.

Busing did draw lots of public attention, but largely overlooked the facts that few students were bused for the purpose of desegregation and, indeed, that busing worked -- especially in the South where school districts are often countywide and include both central cities and suburbs.

For example in 1964, 1.2 percent of African American students in the South attended school with whites. By 1970, the figures had risen to 32 percent. It was not without controversy, with the ending of rich traditions for those black HS involved closing their doors. I remember those days and was thankful I was more well adjusted to the changes than many of my friends then, who were quite obstructive to the idea, both white and black. Thankful times have changed but not quite where they should be IMO.

That is all I can remember for now, maybe more will come to me later.

That is awesome PA. I found a little information on them how they won 3 PVIL 3A state championships and competed in the UIL 2A for 2 years. Losing to Dangerfield and then going undefeated in 69 but Klein advanced on penetration to the championship the next week.

What was it like going to watch them play ? Did you have to watch from the outside ? Was it like who is this white guy watching us play lol ?

That is awesome PA. I found a little information on them how they won 3 PVIL 3A state championships and competed in the UIL 2A for 2 years. Losing to Dangerfield and then going undefeated in 69 but Klein advanced on penetration to the championship the next week.

What was it like going to watch them play ? Did you have to watch from the outside ? Was it like who is this white guy watching us play lol ?

It was exciting to watch Dunbar play because they played a more open brand of football than Lufkin, they actually threw the ball more and Lufkin ran more. Oh no, we went inside just like watching a Panther game, sat and watched or stood at the fence by the sidelines, there were lots or white folks that came to watch Dunbar play ball. Lufkin at that time had blacks and whites working together at Lufkin Industries and Texas Foundries and they knew each others kids were playing football and they would all come out to watch football together. Now, Lufkin High games before integration was a little more segregated although they had a black player on the team in 1968 They had a RB cat named Ray Harper in 1968 that could flat out tote the ball. Ray Harper was one of the first black students to integrate Lufkin High School was a record-setting running back for the Panthers, Ray also earned a full-ride football scholarship to Baylor University. Today, he's a businessman in Houston. In fact he is #3 and #5 respectively on the Panther all time rusher list with 1297 yards in 1968 and 1500 yards in 1969. In 1968 Lufkin finished 8-1-1 scoring 279 point and giving up only 102. In 1969 they were 8-2 scoring 179 point and giving up 104. Only one team went to the playoffs back in those days, so Texas High went in '68 and Longview in '69 based on our district loss to them. I think LHS would have competed well with Dunbar in those years.

Thanks PA for the History great to read. I know Ken Houston played for Dunbar and he is in the NFL hall of fame. I went to Dunbar then Junior High East so it was cool going to the school and in the Gym seeing the Tropheys from when they played. Great History lesson you helped teach us. Coach Mathis talked about it also and Coach Simmons.

All I know is I started going to Dunbar games when I was 3 or 4. My dad worked at Fire Dept. and drove the ambulance to all Dunbar home games. I rode in with him and really enjoyed the games. It was either 67 or 68 that I remember Dunbar had a punter that could kick the ball higher and longer than I could believe, I was also one of the kids that was playing cup baseball or football with all the other kids, black and white we did not care we were there to watch football and have fun. I do remember we hardly ever went to Panther games but I can remember going to Longview when Elrick and delrick were seniors. If I remember right Lufkin. Longview, and John tyler were ranked top 10 in Nation and them and Texarkana were top 10 in Texas. It was a freakin cold night but Lufkin won but Longview won the 3 way coin toss to go to playuffs.

It was exciting to watch Dunbar play because they played a more open brand of football than Lufkin, they actually threw the ball more and Lufkin ran more. Oh no, we went inside just like watching a Panther game, sat and watched or stood at the fence by the sidelines, there were lots or white folks that came to watch Dunbar play ball. Lufkin at that time had blacks and whites working together at Lufkin Industries and Texas Foundries and they knew each others kids were playing football and they would all come out to watch football together. Now, Lufkin High games before integration was a little more segregated although they had a black player on the team in 1968 They had a RB cat named Ray Harper in 1968 that could flat out tote the ball. Ray Harper was one of the first black students to integrate Lufkin High School was a record-setting running back for the Panthers, Ray also earned a full-ride football scholarship to Baylor University. Today, he's a businessman in Houston. In fact he is #3 and #5 respectively on the Panther all time rusher list with 1297 yards in 1968 and 1500 yards in 1969. In 1968 Lufkin finished 8-1-1 scoring 279 point and giving up only 102. In 1969 they were 8-2 scoring 179 point and giving up 104. Only one team went to the playoffs back in those days, so Texas High went in '68 and Longview in '69 based on our district loss to them. I think LHS would have competed well with Dunbar in those years.

This has been a real treat PA. Thanks. Hopefully we can get more people that can share as well. I wonder if anyone has any kind of pictures or videos out there they could share.

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4934553553339373&pid=15.1

It will not let me paste the picture get an error.Maybe the link will work and maybe someone can tell me that if that Dunbar vs Dangerfield. Hard to tell but I went to google images and typed in Lufkin Dunbar football and out of a bunch of images I found this connected to some UIL Link and I cant see the helmet clearly of the defender on the WR but it sure does look like it could be that trade mark Daingerfield D on the helmet. Not to mention the WR going for the pass has on black uniforms wish it was in color so I could see the color of the stripes.Maybe PA can go take a look. I think it is Dunbar hope I am right.

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4934553553339373&pid=15.1

It will not let me paste the picture get an error.Maybe the link will work and maybe someone can tell me that if that Dunbar vs Dangerfield. Hard to tell but I went to google images and typed in Lufkin Dunbar football and out of a bunch of images I found this connected to some UIL Link and I cant see the helmet clearly of the defender on the WR but it sure does look like it could be that trade mark Daingerfield D on the helmet. Not to mention the WR going for the pass has on black uniforms wish it was in color so I could see the color of the stripes.Maybe PA can go take a look. I think it is Dunbar hope I am right.

What makes me think it may be Dunbar is they had a black uniform with the stripe down the pants. The white helmet was a standard back then and it does look a Tiger on the side. You know it has been awhile, forty five years to be exact, the brain plays tricks on you after that many years. Dangerfield was the visitors for that game at the old SFA stadium too.

What makes me think it may be Dunbar is they had a black uniform with the stripe down the pants. The white helmet was a standard back then and it does look a Tiger on the side. You know it has been awhile, forty five years to be exact, the brain plays tricks on you after that many years. Dangerfield was the visitors for that game at the old SFA stadium too.

My grandpa seems to think it is Dunbar. What makes me think that it is if you look at the Dangerfield helmet you can almost tell that it it seems to have that trademark D on the helmet just from the portion that you can see. It did pop up when I googled Lufkin Dunbar. I wish Abe Martin Stadium would add the Dunbar championship banners somewhere on the facility. It is still a part of Lufkin football history.

My grandpa seems to think it is Dunbar. What makes me think that it is if you look at the Dangerfield helmet you can almost tell that it it seems to have that trademark D on the helmet just from the portion that you can see. It did pop up when I googled Lufkin Dunbar. I wish Abe Martin Stadium would add the Dunbar championship banners somewhere on the facility. It is still a part of Lufkin football history.

That is an awesome idea...that will never, ever happen in a million years. I attended Lufkin Intermediate on the Dunbar campus in '79-'80 and don't think the history of the campus or it's origin was ever mentioned. I know that after that it was renamed Lufkin Dunbar Intermediate (I believe)or maybe Dunbar Intermediate. I think the chances on that happening are slim to none but I was being serious when I said it was an awesome idea.

That is an awesome idea...that will never, ever happen in a million years. I attended Lufkin Intermediate on the Dunbar campus in '79-'80 and don't think the history of the campus or it's origin was ever mentioned. I know that after that it was renamed Lufkin Dunbar Intermediate (I believe)or maybe Dunbar Intermediate. I think the chances on that happening are slim to none but I was being serious when I said it was an awesome idea.

Maybe we should email the new SI and push for banners to be hung somewhere at Abe Martin. I just think it is an injustice to just forget like Dunbar never existed. I think the sickest thing ever would be to have a alternate Dunbar throw back all-black jersey and pants complete replica of course tight fit new look :rolleyes: with Dunbar across the chest uniforms. I think they would be extremely symbolic not only towards he black community but for Lufkin football period.

Maybe I can help here. Give me some time to work.

The pictures of the link I posted was not Dunbar vs Daingerfield. I got that confirmed on smoakey.

That's okay. It was really hard to tell from that old grainy black and white photo.

On the other note, there are not current banners of any kind out at ABE except the lighted sign on top of the scoreboard indicating Lufkin's lone Championship. However, I have an idea about a sign to indicate all of Lufkin High's and Dunbar's playoff history.........we will see.