Sign in to follow this  
PackAttack

Our Coach John Outlaw has passed away

I can hardly write this news for you this morning, so I will be breif. I just recieved a call that Coach John Outlaw has passed away. Do not have any other details to give you except it happen around 4:30 AM this morning. Sad and shocking and terrible news for the Panther Nation.

Our Thoughts and prayers are with him and his family at this time of great loss.

Here is the news release from Roy Knight Superintendent Lufkin Schools.

Lufkin News article:

http://lufkindailynews.com/sports/high_sch...1871e3ce6c.html

Lufkin High School head football coach John Outlaw passed away this morning, according to LISD Superintendent Roy Knight. He was 58 years old.

"His impact on Lufkin is more profound than any person I've every known," Knight said. "He's influenced more young people than any other school person that I know."

4ef492203f6f7.preview-300.jpg

When i heard this i was absolutely shocked and saddened deeply. Great coach and a great man. My prayers go out to his family. Wow this is unreal.

Wow just got the phone call from my wife. We have lost a great person this morning it was a honor playing for him he will be missed he was a great man.

RIP Coach.

As everyone else im also saddened and shocked over this news .. While we all may have different opinions on how the game of football should be played Coach Outlaw proved there is nothing more important than the way you conduct yourself He was a great man not just a football coach ... Prayers to the family and all the other coaches and players and the fans of this great Panther Nation he was so proud of being the true LEADER of .. God Bless you Coach

What John brought to this Lufkin program cannot be described in words. Many only saw it from the football wins and losses side. For me it was his dedication and devotion to his football children and coaches. He touched so many lives and help so many that were in need. He was a father figure and mentor to so many of his players over the past 16 years at Lufkin. A true man of character and giving. We are still in such shock over this, it's just hard to believe. Such a sad day for the Panther Nation he loved so much.

Please check out this link from KYKS 105, please listen to the audio link. It says it all about the man John Outlaw. The first voice you hear will be Roy Knight and the second is Gary Ivins interviewing John after his 300th win.

http://kicks105.com/lufkin-football-coach-...-morning-audio/

Holy cow, just got a text message that Outlaw had passed away. I didn't believe it at all.

On the field we have a great rivalry, and off it I have nothing but respect for your program and especially the man who brought Lufkin back to relevance.

So so sorry for y'all's loss.

From David Smoak at Smoaky.com:

http://www.smoaky.com/

Lufkin's Outlaw Dies at 58

Lufkin head football coach John Outlaw died on Friday morning of an apparent heart attack, he was 58.

Outlaw has been the AD/Football Coach at Lufkin High School since 1995, and compiled a record of 162-46-1, including the 2001 Class 5-A State Championship.

I spoke with Coach Outlaw earlier this week while talking about an all-state nominee (DT-Tommy Mark), and I asked how he was doing and in typical Outlaw fashion he responded, "I'm fine as long as they won't run me out of town for a third-straight first-round playoff loss."

Outlaw was on Christmas break and hosting his grandchildren, "

and he was entertaining his grandkids and said, "these great kids don't care whether granddad is 0-10 or a state champion."

Outlaw also once told me, "It's not about the wins, losses and championships, it's about us nurturing young people into successful young men, that will be my eventual win-loss record."

Coach Outlaw was also a very successful coach at Sherman High School before Lufkin, and was a legendary state championship coach from Arkadelphia, Arkansas.

user posted image

Update from KTRE:

http://www.ktre.com/story/16384555/lufkin-coach-john-outlaw

An eternal optimist, Coach Outlaw loved his job, his family, and his community. Word of the legendary coach's death spread quickly and has left the community in mourning.

"The untimely death of Coach Outlaw today is a significant loss for our community and a tremendous loss for our young people, especially all the athletes that he has mentored. We must come together and grieve his loss by celebrating his amazing legacy, all his coaching accomplishments but even more so the immeasurable positive influence he has had on the youth in our community over the years---all the countless young men and women whose lives have been touched by Coach John Outlaw. He will be missed but not forgotten," said Dr. Debra Burton, Family Counselor.

Outlaw has an ever growing list of athletes that have signed to college scholarships and that was something he took pride in. "We've done a good job of marketing our kids and helping our kids both academically and athletically. It opens up a lot of doors that otherwise wouldn't open."

One of his co-workers recalled how he was always pulling for the underdog. "Those kids who had unstable lives at home. Those kids who needed someone to believe in them. Those kids who hung on to football as a lifeline. Those were the kids Coach Outlaw was most interested in. He loved all of his kids, but those kids who needed him most were the ones he gravitated towards."

The Panther's last state title was in 2001, no one was more anxious to get back to that level than Outlaw, though his philosophy was to take one season at a time, a game at a time.

In a preseason interview Outlaw talked about the 2011 season. Coach Outlaw said he was not worried about the pressure, but how his team would respond. "Pressure is when you don't have enough money to pay your bills at the end of the month. I try to tell everybody I don't know what kind of team we are going to have until I find out how they act when we are behind."

I know it's Christmas and December weather is not normally very good, but my hope is Coach Outlaw's service will be at Abe Martin. To allow all of his players and the Lufkin community to remember him and pay their last respects. That way he can be on the sidelines just one more time with the Panther Nation.

Psalms 103:15-18:

As for man, his days are like grass, he flourishes like a flower of the field; the wind blows over it and it is gone, and its place remembers it no more. But from everlasting to everlasting the LORD's love is with those who fear him, and his righteousness with their children's children-- with those who keep his covenant and remember to obey his precepts.

A Facebook invitation started by one of his former players has been posted inviting former Lufkin athletes and the public to meet at Lufkin High School from 1PM - 5PM for "Football for Outlaw."

People in the Lufkin community have been asked to wear their Purple and Gold in honor of Coach Outlaw.

I know it's Christmas and December weather is not normally very good, but my hope is Coach Outlaw's service will be at Abe Martin. To allow all of his players and the Lufkin community to remember him and  pay their last respects. That way he can be on the sidelines just one more time with the Panther Nation.

Psalms 103:15-18:

As for man, his days are like grass, he flourishes like a flower of the field;  the wind blows over it and it is gone, and its place remembers it no more.  But from everlasting to everlasting the LORD's love is with those who fear him, and his righteousness with their children's children--  with those who keep his covenant and remember to obey his precepts.

I know it most likely won't happen, because of the weather, but I agree PA. I hope it's at Abe, so he can be on the sideline for one last time.

RIP Coach.

Packattack I would love to see at least them have a Memorial service for Coach Outlaw at Abe Martin .. I can see a tribute to him being done on the jumbotron and then something like they did for Prefontaine in Oregon .. Maybe something at the end like having the last 10 seconds of the game clock counting down with all who cared for and respect him .. Then to close maybe a singing of the school song with instead of the school we love changed to the COACH we love ..

Coach's comments after the Woodlands win on Fox was something to that effect "when they put me in the grave, no one will care how many wins I had, they will care how I treated people".

We are just now fully realizing the wisdom he had. Like everyone else, I have been thinking about him all day, and have not been able to put into words what he has meant for us.

Coach's comments after the Woodlands win on Fox was something to that effect "when they put me in the grave, no one will care how many wins I had, they will care how I treated people".

We are just now fully realizing the wisdom he had.  Like everyone else, I have been thinking about him all day, and have not been able to put into words what he has meant for us.

More of us should take this approach to our life, myself one. It should not be the milestones you achieve in life that mean the most to us, it's how much of yourself you give to help others. God works in many ways and that couldn't be more clear today from the many words of kindness and praise for the man John Outlaw. The kids have been on my mind all day, how they are feeling right now and what their future holds. It's too early to even consider what the future holds but I do know there were many others on Outlaw's coaching staff that worked closely with John in the many efforts to help these kids. Right now, I am praying peace and comfort for the Outlaw family and the entire Lufkin footballl program and staff. We will miss him, he set the expectations high for this program and I don't believe that will change with whoever takes the leadership in the future.

Here is the text for the Presentation at a ceremony honoring Coach John Outlaw after his 300th career win in October,2011, provided by Lufkin ISD.

When John Outlaw was born in Ozark, Arkansas, no on predicted that this cute little boy would go on to become a legendary high school football coach. Who knew that he also loved baseball?

Beginning his high school coaching career in Arkadelphia, Arkansas, where he won two state championships, later moving to Sherman, Texas with new successes, Coach Outlaw finally arrived in Lufkin, Texas in 1995.

Less than one percent of high school football coaches in America ever achieve the 300 win status. Coach Outlaw is one of those few.

His career stats are 302 wins, 89 loses, and 3 ties.

In the 83 history of Lufkin Panther football before Coach Outlaw, the Panthers had won a total of 14 playoff games. Since Coach's arrival in 1995, the Panthers have added an additional 27 playoff victories. Coach's record in Lufkin is 174-45-1 for a 79% winning record.

Coach Outlaw's teams have won 20 district championships in his career, and include 2 state championships, the latest honored here tonight.

Though his statistics are impressive, his competitive spirit is exceeded only by his compassion for our children.

Tonight we say "thank you, Coach Outlaw," for treating each of our children as though they were your own!

Coach Outlaw is joined at midfield tonight with three of his superintendents during his career. Presenting him with a special trophy for his incredible accomplishments are Dr. Michael McDougal from Sherman, and Mr. David Sharp, and Mr. Roy Knight of Lufkin.

Coach often comments that "When your last name is Outlaw, you had better be good at something!" WE KNOW what that something is in Lufkin , Texas.

Please join me in this salute to our Head Coach, John Outlaw!

According to KTRE: Funeral arrangements are still pending, but school administrators expect services to be held sometime next week. The district is prepared to hold the memorial service in the Lufkin Middle School Auditorium, if necessary. The facility is the school's largest, seating approximately 1,200.

In lieu of flowers, the Outlaw family has requested donations be sent to the Lufkin High School Alumni Association for the Coach John Outlaw Scholarship Fund

I have no words to express how I feel. Over the past few years I've had the priviledge of visiting with Coach Outlaw every spring when I would take him the scrapbook my mother made each year. He was always anxious to see it. Oddly enough, he's already seen this year's scrapbook because I took it to one of the Sideliner's Club meetings. Although he was pleased to see the pages dedicated to him and his 300th win this year, he was more proud of the pages that featured the players, band, cheerleaders and drill team. He loved them all. I already miss you Coach Outlaw and I will surely miss our springtime chats.

Players and Coaches Reflect on the Legacy of John Outlaw

http://www.ktre.com/story/16387875/coaches...-of-john-outlaw

A legend in the coaching world was lost Friday in Lufkin. A man lovingly referred to as "Our head coach", John Outlaw died early Friday morning leaving a legacy of not just winning, but love for the players he called his children. Those children admit it will be tough without him.

"It's going to be weird playing without him next year," said wide receiver Jabryce Taylor. "He will still be in my heart while I'm out there playing and every snap I take he is going to be in my mind."

This season was highlighted by Outlaw's 300th win and yet another student, defensive end Tomme Mark, moving on the a college scholarship. However, his legacy goes beyond the 176 students he has seen sign college scholarships. All of them say Outlaw made a bigger impression on them as a man.

"He was a big impact on me because he showed me how to be a man in tough situations," said Taylor. "He just took me under his own wing and showed me the right path."

Thoughts and prayers to Coach and his family. I heard earlier and couldn't believe it. I'm unbelievably sad... I never actually met Coach Outlaw until earlier this year, but when I did I could tell that he was a great man who taught his kids much more than football. You will be missed, Coach!

Gary, Thank You for your article. Perfectly expressed about the man who loved coaching his kids and living in Lufkin Texas. My heart is still so heavy over this tremendous loss to our community . Sometimes it is not for us to understand why God works in these mysterious ways his wonders to perform. It is no doubt in my mind that John was sent to Lufkin for a reason and that reason is clearer today than it ever has been. So many lives touches and the outpouring of a mans spirit to those kids he cared about so much. The skies in Heaven turned a shade of Panther Purple yesterday and I am just one of many, that was very thankful to have known John Outlaw. John is gone but he will never be forgotten by me or this comminity and kids lives he touched in his short 17 year in Lufkin. My prayers remain with Coach Outlaw's family and the entire Lufkin High School extended family.

Coach left us on a Friday, game day to lots of us. He will be missed and always loved for his wisdom and kindness. He's on the sidelines in heaven watching us prepare for OUR game. His game is complete and a winning game is was. God bless Coach and his family. The Panther Nation will always remember you. RIP Coach!! *\0/*

Funeral services for legendary Lufkin High School Head Football Coach and Athletic Director John Outlaw will be held Tuesday, December 27, at 11AM at Lufkin Middle School Auditorium on Denman Ave.

A visitation period has also been scheduled and will be held Monday, December 26 from 5PM – 7PM at Gipson Funeral Home Chapel on Chestnut Drive in Lufkin.

user posted image

Photo by ANDY ADAMS/Lufkin News

Everyone is talking about how his legacy goes beyond wins and losses, and that's awesome. But my question is, what made him so successful? You don't get 300 wins by being lucky. What was it about his coaching that made him greater than most?