Sign in to follow this  
PackAttack

John Wayne's - The Alamo Movie set

Wanted to share a couple of many pictures we took out at Alamo Village in Brackettville, Texas a couple of weeks ago on October 10th, 2010. We made our first trip out to the John Wayne movie set back in 1979, this was my 9th visit. The occasion was the 50th anniversary of the release of John Wayne's "The Alamo" movie in 1960. The set was built as a permanent structure back then by Wayne and is still there today and has been used for countless other movies (Bandelero and Lonesome Dove)and even other Alamo movies. It is the only full size replica of the Alamo in the world. It is located on a working Longhorn Cattle ranch and is up for sale. Hopefully it will re-open to tourist next year.

Alamo view from corner SW wall

user posted image

The Alamo - 1960 film - cast photo from 1959.

user posted image

Alamo compound view from north wall cannon ramp

user posted image

Alamo set main south gate

user posted image

Inside South wall by Alamo chapel - Chill Wills was killed on that stairway.

user posted image

As you can see I am a Texas history nut. It's not Lufkin sports but thought I would share this with you. Lot of memories with my family at this place.

***A little clip from 1959. John Wayne's "Spirit of the Alamo". If you notice in the clip he is standing under the steps in the above picture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3LumOv0kcw&NR=1

A couple more.

Picture from SW wall cannon ramp

user posted image

SW wall cannon ramp

user posted image

View of Old San Antonio set from SW wall cannon ramp

user posted image

Alamo set Chapel 2010

user posted image

Main street at Alamo Village. This is seen in The Alamo, Bandolero and Lonesome Dove movies.

user posted image

Alamo Village San Fernando Church built in in the town in 1957 for The Alamo movie.

user posted image

Street view of the John Wayne set 2010. Hotel on the right.

user posted image

More of the Alamo Village town built by John Wayne in 1957. You got to see this before it goes away. It is great history.

user posted image

More from our 2010 trip. The warlaw Hotel is where James Stewart was sitting in the John Ford western "Two Rode Together" with Richard Widmark.

user posted image

James Stewart on porch.

user posted image

Movie Clip at Hotel Wardlaw:

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/306805/...rie-McCabe.html

Here is a short video panorama of the set today:

user posted image

Side view of the John Wayne Alamo set chapel built in 1957. This photo from one of our trips in 1986. Gives you the prospective of actual size, same as the one in San Antonio. Wood palisade removed to get movie equipment into set.

Here is a photo of the Dawn at the Alamo ceremony on Sunday March the 6th at 6:00 AM. Have included a short video of the conclusion. It was 34 Sunday morning and over 2000 people were on hand to observe the 175th anniversary of the fall of The Alamo. It was my first time to make the March 6th dawn service.

user posted image

Video of Dawn at the Alamo ending:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ICVkTQnZuk

Here are a couple new pictures made out at Alamo Village June 2011, they are not open to the public but I do have a friend out there that will take and post current photos. looks very dry out there, many trees are dying from the drought. If things do open back up there, you need to plan to go see the set at least once during a trip to the San Antonio area. No false fronts here.

You can see the Alamo set in the distance (400 yards) left side of picture.

user posted image

user posted image

Bandolero movie jail cell with Dean Martin and James Stewart.

user posted image

All still in pretty good shape after 40-50 years.

687.JPG

screenshot3.png