Sign in to follow this  
PackAttack

Panther Drive In Theater

user posted image

Anyone remember the old Panther Drive In Theater located where Bodacious BBQ and the shpping center is today? Read's Broil Burger Drive In was right across the street where the asian resturant is today. Kid's today think of Sonic as a drive in, but they are just duplications from the 50's and 60's. Read's was an original, like Ray's Drive In today in their original location on north Timberland Dr. Those were the days.

user posted image

Having moved here "only" 17 years ago - it amazes me how some of you used to play in the "country" which is now well inside the city limits. I never knew that drive-in was right there. I assume the owner was able to retire when he sold the land.

actually reads broilburger is where china garden is today.the luau is where bryan's is today. also sharkey's market is where oil express is.also probably best eatery in lufkin was sadlers',where there is a resturant utensil place.

Ahhhh yes, Sadler's Smokehouse, A&W Rootbeer and Sharkey's Market all side by side.on North Timberland across from present day Jack's Tapes.

user posted image

Anyone remember Central Ward Elementary that was located where our present Civic Center is today? The front faced First Street.

user posted image

If you log into face book and look up Places you remember about Lufkin or Dragging Timberland Drive you will find many more of these photos of Lufkin in our younger years and before some of us.

actually reads broilburger is where china garden is today.the luau is where bryan's is today. also sharkey's market is where oil express is.also probably best eatery in lufkin was sadlers',where there is a resturant utensil place.

Before it was the Luau, it was my Dad's place. He first had a chicken place there in the early 60's before it caught fire and burned. He rebuilt it as a little grocery store (main dinning room) and later added a little hamburger place (where the kitchen part is). Out back there was a little studio apartment and a beauty shop. As a kid I would walk over to the Panther Drive-In and play on the swing sets in front of the screen. I had to be around 6 or 7 at the time. Shortly after Dad bought the Top Burger on Timberland along with the Ice Berg on Chesnut which had the Icee Fizz. Coldest thing you ever put in your mouth. He also had the Top Burger on Raquet and then later Fuller's. The What-a-burger and Burger Chef (where Chins is now) was the first major food chain to go in Lufkin. Not long after Sonic came and then McDonalds in the mid to late 70's.

Speaking of eating places, I remember my family going to the Angelina Hotel to eat lunch after church every Sunday. Now Lufkin seems to be the chain eating capital!

Anyone remember the cafeteria in the basement of the Perry building downtown? Back in the late 50's and early'60's my family dined there many time after church on Sunday's. Today it is the Manhattan Resturant.

I know that drive-in was there until at least '81 or '82 but i cant remember them tearing it down. Dont think i ever saw a movie there but we went to the one in Burke several times.

I remember all of these... but the best story is when some friends and i were at the Baskin Robbins store across the street on Timberland from the Panther Drive In... It was just about dark and the show was starting, so we ordered our ice cream and started to walk out of Baskins... well I looked up and there she was ohmy.gif !!!!!!!!!! in her full glory!!!!!!! a topless woman, rolleyes.gif all of us ran to the window and the mothers in there started screaming and pulling us away from the window and saying, "call the police!!!!" ... what a night. cool.gif

I worked here in 79 and moved here in 80 and the drive was already gone. Must have been in the mid 70's. But I am still considered a newcomer to Lufkin.

I worked here in 79 and moved here in 80 and the drive was already gone. Must have been in the mid 70's.  But I am still considered a newcomer to Lufkin.

The last time I remember the Panther Drive-IN was when I was across the street at Baskin-Robbins also. Coulda sworn it was there in '81 but maybe it was before then. My neighbor's mom took us there after a basketball game (one in which we played) so eighth grade basketball would have been fall of '80. Doesnt really matter I guess. Things change and then a couple years later you dont even remember what was there previously.